Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it work as the same as engine oil? how do you maintain it? do you change it every 5000 miles? My car just hit 10k miles, and I have never done anything with transmission fluid. I heard from somewhere saying that you have to flush at certain miles or years of ownership. thanks guys

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think the dealership says to drain and fill every 30,000 miles. I had a flush and fill done at 100,000 miles. You wont want to do it every 5,000 miles...the tranny fluid is like $18 a quart

·
Registered
699 Posts
The Hyundai Sonata auto transmission is now considered a sealed system. There is a check point but no dip stick for fluid level inspection. I would suggest reading the owners manual under service recommendation for the drain and fill timing. I believe its safe to say don't touch it until at least 60,000 miles. Flushing of the system is a dealer inspired refill method and I do not believe its endorsed by Hyundai.

The dealers will tell you anything, like 30,000 miles, where the real requirement may be 60,000, 100,000 or maybe never. I've not priced the transmission service charge by a dealer for the Sonata but would guess its around $150-200 or more. On my 2004 XG350, the dealer got me for $130 at 30,000 miles when the manual called for drain and fill at 105,000 miles. It doesn't hurt to change early, but why do so, when its not needed.

There is a lot on information on the forum regarding when to change, how to do it and etc. Do a search.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I believe that there is an owner's manual in the glove compartment that will answer all of these questions. You may wish to read it! You seems to have several mods on the car but are asking about tranny fluid maintenance, something wrong with the picture.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Really no such thing as "lifetime" fluid but if you don't plan to keep the car beyond 100k miles, I wouldn't worry about changing the trans fluid anytime soon.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I paid hyudai dealership ~$170 for drain and fill on my 2012 Sonata, it was so expensive because 5 quarts of Hyundai ATF cost $100. Drain and fill for NF cost me ~$90 (cheaper ATF). I have the fluid changed every 2 years or 30K miles, whichever comes first.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
I believe that there is an owner's manual in the glove compartment that will answer all of these questions. You may wish to read it! You seems to have several mods on the car but are asking about tranny fluid maintenance, something wrong with the picture.
No he doesn't read the manual, nor any prior posts on here. He just makes twenty threads on the simple things he can't understand. Will likely not ever reply any further to the thread.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I paid hyudai dealership ~$170 for drain and fill on my 2012 Sonata, it was so expensive because 5 quarts of Hyundai ATF cost $100. Drain and fill for NF cost me ~$90 (cheaper ATF). I have the fluid changed every 2 years or 30K miles, whichever comes first.
a drain and fill on a YF takes like 2 or 3 quarts... FYI

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
So plenty old fluid remains?
you said drain and fill, drain and fill is like 2-3 quarts. full exchange using a machine you want to use 12 to 16 quarts.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Approx 6qt drian and fill on the YF 6 speeder..

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Approx 6qt drian and fill on the YF 6 speeder..
Yes SBR is correct. Sorry about that. As my signature says.... Lol.. Mind is fried today working on cars.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The drain and fill requires 2-4 quarts, yes. The flush and fill if used is very wasteful, unless you are able to reclaim the fluid. Capacity of the Automatic Transaxle is listed in the manual as 7.5 quarts. The manual states to replace the fluid at 60,000 miles of severe driving conditions. Normal driving, no check, no service required.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If I recall correctly there was a guy who found the sp4 fluid at kia for like half the price. I spent today rebuilding a 5 speed for a 04 altima.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Books are dead, people's experiences are alive. You can see that some people have their own practical knowledge or experience on others' responses because they all experienced it or told by dealers differently. That's my purpose of opening a thread, and I really learned a lot from those real life experience. I assume you don't follow your manual book about changing engine oil, don't you? again, don't every freaking time bring out manual book, my manual book is new as ****, if you really love it so much, i will mail it to you as your Christmas gift, and people like you do know that there is no such thing as a free lunch. Additionally, your picture is so wrong about my other mods and transmission fluid, they have no correlation between each one of them. By the way, I have more mods than it listed.

No he doesn't read the manual, nor any prior posts on here. He just makes twenty threads on the simple things he can't understand. Will likely not ever reply any further to the thread.
Everyone's answers are straight to my question. My 'simple things' are solved and I know what to do next because of those great guys who are willing to spend their valuable time helping others instead of coming here to complain.

OEM mud guards are mod huh?
the mud guards don't come with your car unless you pay for it. This is a dispensable toy. Some people have it for protection, others have it for aesthetic. Therefore, they are under my mod list. Moreover, I am not alone counting mud guards as a mod on this forum.

again, thank you guys.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Just had my drain and refill done at 50K miles the other day at the dealership. The trans. fluid retails for $27.32 a quart but I was charged $19.16 because it was part of a service. My tech told me it took about 5.5 quarts and that he used 1/2 a quart left over from the previous job. The service cost $178.75.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
My tech told me it took about 5.5 quarts and that he used 1/2 a quart left over from the previous job.

Previous job was likely a warranty trans fluid temp sensor...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I suppose I could put automatic transmission and ipod cable in my mod list since the base model didn't come with either.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts