Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the 2013 sonata gls, 5700 km

I live in southern Ontario, in Canada and the weather is starting to drop here in the mornings and nights.

The mornings are not 0-3 degrees Celsius and at night a little bit colder.

I have notice that when I start my car in the morning it seems like the engine takes a little big longer to start. It takes no longer than 2 seconds to actually start, it just sounds like its struggling a bit more.

I notice once i drive the car for a bit, park and then start the car again it seems like it fires up quicker and without ease.

Is this due to the drop in weather? or something else at play here

Also it seems like in the mornings when the car has been sitting for like 9 hours, after it starts the engine sounds louder than usual.

Any feedback would be great

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Normal. Extreme cold has an adverse effect on the battery. You could try a new battery with higher CCA if you're concerned.

Try an a block heater.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Normal. Extreme cold has an adverse effect on the battery. You could try a new battery with higher CCA if you're concerned.

Try an a block heater.
Funny stuff, 0*-3*C (32*-34*F) is not extreme cold.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I got the 2013 sonata gls, 5700 km

I live in southern Ontario, in Canada and the weather is starting to drop here in the mornings and nights.

The mornings are not 0-3 degrees Celsius and at night a little bit colder.

I have notice that when I start my car in the morning it seems like the engine takes a little big longer to start. It takes no longer than 2 seconds to actually start, it just sounds like its struggling a bit more.

I notice once i drive the car for a bit, park and then start the car again it seems like it fires up quicker and without ease.

Is this due to the drop in weather? or something else at play here

Also it seems like in the mornings when the car has been sitting for like 9 hours, after it starts the engine sounds louder than usual.

Any feedback would be great

thanks guys
The slower to fire up is all totally normal. The battery in your 2013 should still be more than adequate. The fact is heat kills batteries and winter cold just finishes them off. The engine oil is cold and if you are running with dino oil it flows a little slower in "extreme" cold weather. It would not be a bad idea to change to syn oil if you haven't already. Lastly in ON, you all may have switched over to winter blended gas, this could also impact the start up.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Not sure what the manual says, but it may be okay to use 0W-20 oil in your climate.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Seconding the oil. Although I did 0-W20 one year (mainly for the mileage improvements) and I did not notice a difference.

Do you have a block heater?---that would help most if you could plug it in overnight but not too much when you are at work or going somewhere from home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts