Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the DRL bulb is used for the high beams also. Are LED bulbs suitable for high beams?

If not, is there a good, traditional bulb that is whiter than the stock one?

·
Registered
678 Posts
QUOTE (legacy @ Jun 15 2010, 01:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333190
So, the DRL bulb is used for the high beams also. Are LED bulbs suitable for high beams?

If not, is there a good, traditional bulb that is whiter than the stock one?
Why don't you just go with hid kit and use a H7 relay wiring kit? At least that is the route I am going with. Even if you go out and buy at bulb that has a blue coating in it, using the drl will still yield yellowish light because it is using half the power. If you go with LED, you will not get the benefit of using the high beams. The LEDs is only for white looks, but no real functionality. Kinda like a bog dog that is all bark but no bite. Do you get my drift?

·
Registered
167 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ Jun 15 2010, 02:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333230
Why don't you just go with hid kit and use a H7 relay wiring kit? At least that is the route I am going with. Even if you go out and buy at bulb that has a blue coating in it, using the drl will still yield yellowish light because it is using half the power. If you go with LED, you will not get the benefit of using the high beams. The LEDs is only for white looks, but no real functionality. Kinda like a bog dog that is all bark but no bite. Do you get my drift?
The first time I drove my car at night I realized that the high beams seem to make only a very marginal difference in how far it illuminates. I thought it was kind of odd, and I flicked them back and forth a few times to really check it out. I'd probably never notice that I didn't have them on. Has anyone else noticed this? I considered just sacrificing the high beams for the LEDs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ Jun 15 2010, 03:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333230
What is a H7 relay kit and how does it work? I have 6K hid lights now for my standard lights and also want to change the DRLs to the white light like an led buld or HID. How can this be done?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Personally what I would have preferred was to use the fogs as DLRs (in a lower wattage DRL mode) and move to 55W HIDs on the hi-beams. But unfortunately that would require quite some extensive wiring changes which I would not like to do on a new car that has a warranty on it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Went with LEDs as DRLs. Only time I used the high beams were to flash people. With my xenon conversion I find high beams in the city unnecessary. I could see why some would want their high beams though.

·
Registered
678 Posts
QUOTE (toastermax @ Jun 15 2010, 06:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333274
What is a H7 relay kit and how does it work? I have 6K hid lights now for my standard lights and also want to change the DRLs to the white light like an led buld or HID. How can this be done?
It is just a wiring kit, with a relay and H7 plug. Basically instead of using the plugs that came with the hid kit, you use the wiring kit instead to supply the power to the ballast which will be connected to the battery. The main purpose of the relay is to use the small signal generated from your headlight switch, to engage the switch on the relay to use battery power instead of the one being generated by the headlight switch.....man I said so many switch on this answer, but I hope you get the point. google for a H7 wiring kit and you'll get the idea.

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (Ayces @ Jun 15 2010, 09:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333324
Went with LEDs as DRLs. Only time I used the high beams were to flash people. With my xenon conversion I find high beams in the city unnecessary. I could see why some would want their high beams though.
What type of LED bulb did you use and is there a way for it to work as a High beam at all? Can i change this bulb to HID and have it function as a DRL?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Just a warning for those thinking of putting HID in the high beams, the High beams are not projector lens so it will probably end up blinding oncoming traffic and could get you a ticket or two from the cops for illegal light setup.

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (toastermax @ Jun 28 2010, 01:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336862
What type of LED bulb did you use and is there a way for it to work as a High beam at all? Can i change this bulb to HID and have it function as a DRL?
It's a bulb with 68 LEDs on it. No, it will light up when you switch on the high beams, but will not act as a high beam.

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ Jun 28 2010, 10:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336978
Just a warning for those thinking of putting HID in the high beams, the High beams are not projector lens so it will probably end up blinding oncoming traffic and could get you a ticket or two from the cops for illegal light setup.
I think you are referring to the fact that they will be DRL's that are on all the time and blinding oncoming traffic will be unavoidable, unless one could disable the DRL feature - which is not a legal option in Canada.

Judging by the relative slow pace my HID low beams light up I will not recommend the HID for high beams, especially if the ability to flash the Hi-beams is important. However, I have to agree with the comments, the Sonata's OEM Hi beams don't make much of a difference, especially if you have HID's for low beams. It is one of the worst OEM hi beams that I have seen in a modern car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (RamKat @ Jul 3 2010, 05:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338477
I think you are referring to the fact that they will be DRL's that are on all the time and blinding oncoming traffic will be unavoidable, unless one could disable the DRL feature - which is not a legal option in Canada.

Judging by the relative slow pace my HID low beams light up I will not recommend the HID for high beams, especially if the ability to flash the Hi-beams is important. However, I have to agree with the comments, the Sonata's OEM Hi beams don't make much of a difference, especially if you have HID's for low beams. It is one of the worst OEM hi beams that I have seen in a modern car.

I'm running GP Thunder 4300K LED bulbs for my DRL's, they look great in the day and they are a benefit when used as high beams every morning going to work. I have HID's and the LED highs do cast a very similar light farther and wider than the HIDs. So point is, they are not just for looks and they are great as replacement DRL, cleaner look.

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (Spookpur @ Jul 4 2010, 04:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338807
I'm running GP Thunder 4300K LED bulbs for my DRL's, they look great in the day and they are a benefit when used as high beams every morning going to work. I have HID's and the LED highs do cast a very similar light farther and wider than the HIDs. So point is, they are not just for looks and they are great as replacement DRL, cleaner look.

Cool, If you don't mind, can you take some pictures with the lights shining against a white/ light colour surface with the lights set as follows:

LED DRL
HID Low beam
HID Low Beam and LED Hi beams.

(Car parked say 3 to 5 steps away from the surface)

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (RamKat @ Jul 4 2010, 05:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338824
Cool, If you don't mind, can you take some pictures with the lights shining against a white/ light colour surface with the lights set as follows:

LED DRL
HID Low beam
HID Low Beam and LED Hi beams.

(Car parked say 3 to 5 steps away from the surface)
:whistling: oops, just realized, my fogs are LEDs, my DRL's are 4300K Bulbs, but match the 6000K HIDs. The LED fogs match everything as well, including my LED license plate lights and reverse lights lol.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wanted to maintain some highbeam function so I am going to try one of those fake HID xenon bulbs. I will report back how they look once they come in the mail.

I would go all out HID, but I am leasing so I don't want to get too crazy.

·
Registered
623 Posts

·
Banned
630 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts