Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock sonata tires that I have are the Hankook optimo h437s. On the door panel there is info on tire specs. The info said the front and rear tires should be at 36 psi. I've heard that higher is better (to a certain point). I couldn't find what the max tire pressure was for these tires. Should I keep it at 36 psi or should I maybe keep it one or two units higher?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I do not have the same brand tires as your Sonata but 36 psi is high enough. Higher psi will result in a harder ride and could result in more tire wear in the center of the tire thread.

FYI. The max air pressure of any tire should be on the tire sidewall itself.

What's more important is to check the pressure on a regular basis and keep it at 36 psi/target setting. Tires will lose air with time and checking, maintaining pressure at the set point is important.

Bob

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My 18" Hankook Optimos are marked "Max . . . 50 PSI" I keep mine at 42-45 PSI. Certainly Bobb is right about the ride being softer with lower pressure. But the higher the pressure the lower the rolling resistance and better the MPG.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Never exceed the max PSI on the sidewall when tire is cold.

My self, well tires today can have max PSIs from 35 to 50 but I like to keep mine (assuming the max PSI is 44) around 40 or so. I get better wear, especially around the edges on the front tires but a slightly harder ride.

Dealers will always set at what PSI is printed on the door.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I keep my front driver at 41 and pass at 40 and rear 38. Remember from factory they are 100% nitrogen filled. This setup helps promote even wear for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts