Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was gifted a set of four studded winter tires (with rims), but they are one size bigger than what's on my car now.

My car has the standard 205/55R16 All-Seasons, but the winter tires are 215/60R16.

Does anyone know if these should fit ok? I know that the spedometer may be off a bit, but I'm more concerned about the tires rubbing inside the wheel wells.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Your looking at a tire about 1.3" taller overall (which only half of that really comes into play). I would think they should clear ok, as long as the wheel offset if good. Best thing is to test fit.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Reactions: sonician

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got 215/55/16s and based on the clearances I suspect those should fit but would be pretty tight. Please update when you test them and let us know if they fit!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
In a really old thread over in the MD Elantra (2011-2015) section, somebody had pictures of an Elantra with Sonata SE wheels - the 18" wheels with the stock rubber. They're around 26" tall - same as the 215-60-16s - and they fit with no rubbing. The AD Elantra is a reworked MD, and unless they reshaped the fender wells, I think they'd fit ok. In my experience, the only two areas of concern are the distance between the tread and the spring seat on the strut (front end), and potential rubbing on the subframe when turning the wheel to full lock. With the tires in question being about an inch taller than stock, you need about 1/2" clearance on the spring seat. Check it easily by rubbing your pinky finger along the top surface of the tire on the inside half of the tread, underneath the spring seat (bottom of the strut). If your pinky doesn't hit that seat, it will be fine. Since they're only 215mm wide and you're not going for steamroller rubber, I doubt they'd rub when turning all the way to the lock. If it turns out that they do, just be careful not to crank the wheel all the way when using these tires - you can go all the way to the lock when the car is stopped and then back off about 1/4 turn to avoid rubbing.

Other observations about taller tires - the larger radius puts more strain on the braking system so don't stomp repeatedly on the brakes. Drive a bit easier. The additional torque needed with the larger radius will have the car lingering longer in lower gears. It won't hurt the car, but don't be surprised or worried when it happens. And finally, the speedometer will read a little low. An indicated 60mph will be an actual 62. Something to keep in mind when passing those steelie-equipped Explorers parked on the side of the road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts