Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '09 SF has developed a new queer 'whinging' noise that is heard when it has had the opportunity to warm up (2 to 3 kms) and then stopped in gear, either in 'D' or 'R'. The noise, from the driver's seat with the side window down and next to another vehicle or building is quite noticeable but can't be heard or felt from inside the vehicle when the window is up. When I bump it up to 'N' from 'D" the noise immediately goes away. I think that the noise completely goes away when moving and I'm leaning towards thinking this is a clutch issue. I'm taking the SF back to the shop this coming week for their second crack at figuring out what it is and solving it. I was in last week and they 'bled some air' out of the transmission and (they) thought that had solved it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Have you lived it?

Regards,

Mac

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (mjrobin @ Jun 19 2010, 01:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334479
My '09 SF has developed a new queer 'whinging' noise that is heard when it has had the opportunity to warm up (2 to 3 kms) and then stopped in gear, either in 'D' or 'R'. The noise, from the driver's seat with the side window down and next to another vehicle or building is quite noticeable but can't be heard or felt from inside the vehicle when the window is up. When I bump it up to 'N' from 'D" the noise immediately goes away. I think that the noise completely goes away when moving and I'm leaning towards thinking this is a clutch issue. I'm taking the SF back to the shop this coming week for their second crack at figuring out what it is and solving it. I was in last week and they 'bled some air' out of the transmission and (they) thought that had solved it.

Regards,

Mac
For starters, I'm having a problem putting "D", "R" and "clutch" together all in the same paragraph.

Bypassing that for a moment ...

Yes, it could be transmission related. It could also be related to the fact that under a braked load (D or R as opposed to N) your engine may is tipping a bit on the mounts, causing who knows what. Could indicate a loose or defective engine mount. Could just be the normal minor shift in position and a slight issue in the exhaust system - touching a shield, etc. - that can be easily remedied. Not sure about "whinging".

The thing to do whenever you get involved in something like this is to have TWO people working the problem. One needs to be inside doing the shifting at idle while the other is under the hood (or wherever) trying to isolate the noise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the exact same problem on our 2008 SF. I do have a video with sound showing this and will post it. I have no idea what maybe causing it, but if you put the car into Neutral it goes away till you shift back to D or R. (foot on brake)

2008 Santa Fe Transmission Noise

QUOTE (mjrobin @ Jun 19 2010, 03:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334479

Regards,

Mac

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Could be an exhaust heat shield, as canderson says, or even a pebble caught inside one of the tailpipe finishers. That has happened to me.

Another possibility is a bad bearing in the transmission, or (hopefully) one of the pulleys under the hood. My 2000 Nissan Altima developed a whining noise that was traced to a defective idler pulley... a relatively quick fix that Hyundai would cover under warranty in your case.

Good luck, and let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, this is my first post !
Yes I have experienced this exact problem with my 08 Limited as well.
I had the dealer document this initially @ 20000 km, they claimed not to be able to hear it, I let it go.
This year I went on a 1000km road trip & the noise became too much to put up with, it's a buzzing noise which I was sure was coming from the transmission.
I took it again & insisted on a longer road test & the dealer was able to confirm that the noice was indeed coming from the transmission, I believe the service manager said it was the 3-4 solenoid that was the culprit.
The noise totally goes away when in neutral.
The transmissiones are replaced in their entirety & mine is being done at the dealership in Winnipeg tomorrow August 5/10, so will advise how that went in future.[now at 40000 km]
The strange thing about this problem, is it only manifests itself when the drive system is fully warmed up & the driveability doesn't seem to be affected, however I wasn't willing to gamble this wouldn't become worse in time.

Good luck with yours !

·
Registered
28 Posts
i had the exact same problem. drained and topped up the transmission fluid and the noise disappeared.

the noise started around 45,000 km. The ATF was drained and topped up (not flushed) at around 48,000 km

·
Registered
624 Posts
We have the exact same thing happening with our 2008 Limited. Took it in, they said everything sounds normal and the noise is just from actuators. Seems to me no tranny in good shape should make that much noise. I'm letting it go for now, but if it doesn't go away I'll be taking it in again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but the other day, my 2008 Limited started making the exact sound in the video below. Did anyone ever figure out what the cause was?

I have the exact same problem on our 2008 SF. I do have a video with sound showing this and will post it. I have no idea what maybe causing it, but if you put the car into Neutral it goes away till you shift back to D or R. (foot on brake)

2008 Santa Fe Transmission Noise

QUOTE (mjrobin @ Jun 19 2010, 03:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334479

·
Registered
838 Posts
IMO, It definitely sounds like the torque converter body is moving forward, or backward, a bit, lightly scraping something when you put a load on it, like by putting it in gear.

Good Luck, Mike

·
Registered
624 Posts
Had mine in to the dealer 3 times now and they still say they can't hear the noise. I told them it needed to be driven and warmed up so they said they drove it "quite a bit" and still couldn't duplicate it. When I picked up the car it had 1 more mile on it than when I dropped it off. It's getting really frustrating......

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Everyone. Long time guest on this board and have posted previously. This problem had me pulling my hair out as well so felt obliged to post. I had the exact same problem on my 2008 Limited. Started occasionally when it was 2 years old up until this spring\summer when it happened after every drive after the drive train warmed up. Same problem took it into the dealer 4 or more times, went on two road tests dealership never ever to replicate (but did give them a sound recording). Almost have to call ahead and have them standing there in the dealership driveway as you pull in. Allowed Hyundai to replace the transmission fluid in the car (they said I should have done it at 48K....manual says no need to change for much longer). A couple of weeks after changing the sound went away and has stayed away for 3-4 months now (but it is getting colder). On good faith even after all this hassle the dealer was willing to replace the transmission, they also believed it was a solenoid problem but could not prove it. However as this dealer has been very good to me I agreed to give the fluid change a chance on the agreement if it happens again we move forward to replace. The dealer will get dinged from Hyundai if they swap a transmission that is not found faulty and I have a good relationship with my local dealer who have helped me time and time again with the nightmare of problems that has been owning this Santa Fe. (p.s. I will never buy another Hyundai again, but that's another post). For now I will wait... and listen... to see if it returns.

Only suggestion to you is if you have not done so already you can try a transmission fluid change and see if it helps. At the moment I am getting the impression these transmissions are VERY fussy about good fluid. If anyone does get their transmission replaced please let us know what the failed part was in the end!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I doubt you'll ever find out what part failed. I'm pretty sure that Hyundai's policy is a tranny swap only, no tear downs at the dealer, and the reman people aren't likely to ever report back on a particular unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the responses, everyone. My transmission noise seems to be pretty intermittent at this point. I definitely heard it loud and clear after a long drive towing a light trailer last week (under the same conditions, stopped and in 'D'). However, the noise seems to have disappeared this week.

My SF isn't even close to being due for a transmission fluid change, because it has really low miles (it has 12K miles, and according to the manual, I need to change it every 30K miles since I do some towing with the vehicle). Oh well, I guess I'll wait and see if the noise comes back, and try a fluid change if it does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts