Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Flex Pipe is shot again. This is the 2nd one to go bad within a few years. Yet, as I recall the original Flex exhaust pipe lasted far longer.

Before I go ahead and have one installed I'm wondering what are the differences in quality ? Should I request a certain type/material/company over whatever they would have just used.

I just find it hard to understand why the original lasted for so long, while the replacements went much faster.

Thanks....

·
Registered
499 Posts
When the flex pipe started leaking on my 1988 Accord at 180K miles I had the choice of OEM for over $500 or aftermarket for half that.
I went with aftermarket since I didn't plan to keep it much longer. DIY replacement.

I sold the car to a friend at 220K miles and 21 y.o.
At 260K miles the aftermarket pipe failed.
My friend took in stride. After all, things are going to break on a $500 car.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Should I request a certain type/material/company

They are all stainless. There is differences on how the flexible tubing inside the braid is made and if there's inner braid or not. That can be a simple corrugated pipe or a so called 'interlock' type tubing.

The interlock type is the most robust/expensive.

see here

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Was it stainless steel?

OEM or aftermarket?
Car and year would be helpful.
Grand, yes I believe it was aftermarket SS.

I have a '05 Sonata.

When the flex pipe started leaking on my 1988 Accord at 180K miles I had the choice of OEM for over $500 or aftermarket for half that.
I went with aftermarket since I didn't plan to keep it much longer. DIY replacement.

I sold the car to a friend at 220K miles and 21 y.o.
At 260K miles the aftermarket pipe failed.
My friend took in stride. After all, things are going to break on a $500 car.

They are all stainless. There is differences on how the flexible tubing inside the braid is made and if there's inner braid or not. That can be a simple corrugated pipe or a so called 'interlock' type tubing.

The interlock type is the most robust/expensive.

see here

As they are all SS, and from your comments it seems it comes down to build quality. The shop I went to apparently is using cheaper quality parts.

Is this a correct assessment ? If so, I'll have to request better quality flex pipe when I bring it in. Or possibly just do it myself and be assured of what I'm using.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My flex pipe failed in my '02 Sonata V6 at about 115K. I had been stuck on some ice and rocking the car to get out. Since it was Feb in Upstate NY, I would up taking it to an exhaust shop and paying about $700 to get it replaced. About 18 months later, the replacement started to fail. I took it back, no warranty and they said they might be able to weld in a new flex part for about $200; otherwise it might be up to $1200 because of CARB regulations.
Anyhow, what I realized it that it seems likely that my flex pipe is failing because there is too much slop in my motor mounts. I would suggest you check your motor mounts for excessive play.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts