Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My understanding is that the PZEV gets approx 8hp less.

When buying where is a vehicle referenced as being PZEV. Somehwere on the invoice label or something under the hood you can easily spot.

I like lower emissions but do not want to suffer -8hp if I buy one and want to clearly know I am not getting a PZEV model.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Spec_Gla...a&trimid=-1

P.S. if one accidentally got a PZEV model is it anything you can take off to get around the hp loss and easily turn it into a non PZEV model as such.

Regards again.

J

·
0 Posts
Interesting because I didn't even know those models existed until this post.

hmm..I hope I don't have one :unsure:

I don't know the answers to your questions but google is your friend...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I only discovered the pzev model after visiting dealerships. I never saw any information about them on the hyundai website where you can "build your own." If they are an option, why are they not listed on the website?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Suspect this is related to California emissions or something of the sort. But with these vehicles moving in droves I think dealers in others states (Colorado, Denver) are taking whatever they can get their hands on to stay in good levels of stock.

Not sure on this, just preliminary suspicion.

Would really really like to know if this PZEV is on the sticker, I see it show up online when I search dealer websites in Denver and PZEV shows up on some of the cars but it does not explain what it is. Had to find out elsewhere it lowers the HP rating !!!

Have searched and searched google for better details but none as of yet

·
Registered
25 Posts
The PZEV makes the car emissions legal in all 50 states so the car can be sold in all states. I think it's the evolution of the 49 state cars and California cars you used to see, since more states are adopting stricter emissions limits. Here in Maryland, a lot of the new cars for sale are PZEV models because Pennsylvania apparently has adopted stricter standards too. I just dug out the sticker for my SE and it says on it that it meets emissions requirements for all 50 states. I believe that is the same thing but it doesn't actually say PZEV on it. The Hyundai website says that the PZEV models are available only in some states but it doesn't say which states. All the Sonatas are ULEV (Ultra Low) by the way.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_zero-emissions_vehicle

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (shelion @ Jul 27 2010, 05:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345311
The PZEV makes the car emissions legal in all 50 states so the car can be sold in all states. I think it's the evolution of the 49 state cars and California cars you used to see, since more states are adopting stricter emissions limits. Here in Maryland, a lot of the new cars for sale are PZEV models because Pennsylvania apparently has adopted stricter standards too. I just dug out the sticker for my SE and it says on it that it meets emissions requirements for all 50 states. I believe that is the same thing but it doesn't actually say PZEV on it. The Hyundai website says that the PZEV models are available only in some states but it doesn't say which states. All the Sonatas are ULEV (Ultra Low) by the way.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_zero-emissions_vehicle
Thanks,

Just dont want to take the HP hit of PZEV. Some are PZEV and Some are not currently. My understanding is that the PZEV would be on the "Monroney Sticker". Anyone got thier window sticker and see a PZEV on it.

·
1,914 Posts
I have seen a few...It should say GLS PZEV right on the top of the sticker. Elantra is the same way.

·
Registered
204 Posts
YEP - my sticker says Limited PZEV.
I had started a post about PZEV a few weeks ago because I wondered why I ended up with one in NY State.
But several others replied and said they had them too.
So I am helping the environment - it helps counter act all the non-environmental things I do!
If I lost 8HP I dont notice it - my car is pretty peppy!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ Jul 27 2010, 06:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345321
I have seen a few...It should say GLS PZEV right on the top of the sticker. Elantra is the same way.
BINGO.... Thanks a ton, will watch for when~if I buy. Thanks again and to all.

If somebody got a PZEV and wanted to revert and get the ponies back what does the PZEV do on the vehicles or block

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bump, just an FYI for anyone buying this weekend, knowledge if power. Bargain them down some if you are buying the PZEV model tell them you know its 8HP less, or choose to buy a non PZEV model.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
my first 11 sonata was just regular ULEV, my second one is PZEV, window sticker states 2011 sonata limited pzev

To be honest, driving one then going to the other, I couldn't tell a difference, IMHO you are over reacting over the 8hp.

BTW im in New york, and last time i went to the dealer all I saw was pzev sonatas. I am going to assume it was adopted by Hyundai to just make these now.

the smog scores went up in comparison

ULEV = global warming score 7 / smog score 5
PZEV = global warming score 8 / smog score 9

those are off both the window stickers i got.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I agree with all. In the beginning when I purchased my Sonata it also was a PZEV and after reseaching found that it does in fact have 8 horsepower less than non PZEV vehicles. Frankly I was not happy since Hyundai never mentions the difference in horsepower. Shame on them. They have been pretty deceptive on a number of things with the Sonata. Be it as it may. I will be honest with you, 8 horsepower on the Sonata is really not going to make much difference. This is by no means a race car and the torque is only off by 4 ft. lbs of torque and frankly torque is much more important than horsepower. Enjoy the car, it is very peppy to begin with. By the way, my daughter-in-law has a non PZEV Sonata and I drove her car and it doesn't feel anymore powerful than my car. The other thing I found in my reseach was that the California emissions have better warranty than the non PZEV, longer.....

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
My GLS is a ULEV. On the window sticker under Added Features it reads: This vehicle is certified to meet emission regulations in all 50 states. In California our emission related warranty is extended by law to 10 years, or so I was told by the dealer.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I saw somewhere a picture of the two exhaust manifolds. The ULEV is a tubular exhaust header with a nice looking collector and the PZEV is a cast iron more restrictive one. My initial thought was that the restriction helps carry more heat to the catalyst sooner, thus lighting it faster and cutting down on warm-up emissions. That is just a guess but would make sense because cars have more emissions during warm-up than at operating temperature.

B

·
0 Posts
Yes, the cast iron will carry more heat to the catalyst vs. tubular steel (if that's what the other one is made of?), which will light the cat off faster. The grey iron doesn't have to be more restrictive, but it could be. I'm guessing the catalysts are slightly different, but maybe not.

Most of the PZEV stuff is evaporative emissions related, and one of the things that means is a different gas tank. It's made of different materials, so that fuel vapor won't leak through it. That's right: a 'normal' gas tank allows a certain (small!) amount of fuel vapor to leak right through the wall of the tank. There was a nifty article in Car and Driver about the newer types of tanks recently. Maybe the October issue?

EDIT: Here's a link to the C/D article:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q3/...tanks-tech_dept

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
hrmm I just ran both my vin #'s i had, one was ulev and the other PZEV in hyundai parts system. its not showing any difference in exhaust manifold or cat part numbers between the cars

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (Sonny Jim @ Dec 20 2010, 10:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381690
Yes, the cast iron will carry more heat to the catalyst vs. tubular steel (if that's what the other one is made of?), which will light the cat off faster. The grey iron doesn't have to be more restrictive, but it could be. I'm guessing the catalysts are slightly different, but maybe not.

Most of the PZEV stuff is evaporative emissions related, and one of the things that means is a different gas tank. It's made of different materials, so that fuel vapor won't leak through it. That's right: a 'normal' gas tank allows a certain (small!) amount of fuel vapor to leak right through the wall of the tank. There was a nifty article in Car and Driver about the newer types of tanks recently. Maybe the October issue?

EDIT: Here's a link to the C/D article:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q3/...tanks-tech_dept

restriction = friction/compression = heat. Couldnt say why only one part number for both cars. I tried finding the picture of the two manifolds I saw before to no avail. All I know is having seen both manifolds, it was enough to make me want the ulev version just for the tubular header.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The tighter gas tank shouldn't affect power output. So what extra stuff does a PZEV engine contain that decreases pollutants and horsepower? Also, can a PZEV state's emission equipment discern the difference between a PZEV and non-PZEV car? If yes, what happens if a person buys a new car in a non-PZEV state and later moves to a PZEV state. If the car doesn't pass that PZEV state's emission tests, what happens then? Must the owner pay to upgrade his engine to full PZEV status? Is that expensive? Could he even sell a non-PZEV car in a PZEV state if it won't pass inspection?

B

·
0 Posts
I find it significant that the exhaust manifold and catalyst part numbers are the same in the Hyundai parts system. I also find it significant that MSN reports a power difference, but Hyundai does not. My guess is that means that either MSN's data is incorrect, or they're all now (going to be?) PZEV vehicles, and that they're rated at 198 hp.

The different gas tank doesn't affect power output, of course, nor does any other evaporative emissions component that I know of.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts