Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After starting the engine when it's cold, do you guys put it in reverse while it's still in the higher idle (warm-up) mode, or do you wait for the rpm's to reach normal operating range?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
No wait.

Start 'er up, buckle up, check mirrors, set radio/gps, and drive away.

Reactions: joegr

·
Registered
157 Posts
I usually wait for the idle to drop or that noise that sounds like a compressor to stop (happens at the same time). I guess it's just a habit since I ride a Harley and it's always good to let an air cooled engine warm up before using. I like to make sure the trans and engine are all primed and ready before I put it in gear.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If it is REALLY cold (Below zero cold) I will usually allow the RPMs to come down a bit as they can be quite high. Normally....No more than 15 seconds as I like to allow the oil to reach the upper areas of the engine before I pull away....

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
852 Posts
I normally (almost always) let the revs drop before throwing it in reverse.
I've noticed that the 3 or so times I've *not* done that, the vehicle takes off a lot faster (peeling out of the driveway), or one time I was in a parking lot and put it in drive and was like "whoa nelly".

So now I try to let it warm up or whatever it's doing. Although since I use Carplay I almost have to wait longer than that unless I want the head unit or surround view camera to not function properly (ie, gotta let the head unit boot up fully before plugging phone in or else half the time the stupid camera won't go on). The engine always finishes doing whatever it's doing before the head unit is ready.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.