Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all
I have a 2016 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition. About 66k miles on it. About a year and a half ago I started having issues when trying to start my engine. I'd push the Push Start button and the lights would come on, the dash lights would come on and the radio would turn on, but the engine wouldn't start. I would have to do it a few times and then all of sudden the engine would start. I took it to the dealership and they said the battery was completely done and changed out the starter. Everything has been working great since. Fast forward to a few days ago and the same issue us happening. I brought it to a local Mavis and they said the battery is fine and they aren't sure what the issue should be and I shouldn't be having an issue with the starter after a year and change.

Has anyone had similar issues with this? I would think after a year and change the start shouldn't be going bad. The mileage might be high but I don't drive it all that crazy, just to and from work. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Only way to know if it's the starter is to bench test it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This might be a dumb question but would the battery for the key itself cause this to happen by any chance?

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Along those lines, put the key fob next to the start button and try starting
If it starts every time then battery weak in FOB.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
If you are getting the dash lights to turn on with the ignition, then your start button is working. Your fob is working. Your battery seems to be working. If they actually load tested the battery it should be good. Once running they can load test the alternator.

To bench test the starter, it needs to be removed to be tested. Could also be connections to the starter. Beware, a bad starter can kill a battery fast.

·
Registered
765 Posts
If you are in a garage or have another body handy, have them see if the brake lights are coming on when you depress the pedal to start the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could be the range switch (aka inhibitor switch aka position sensor). If you step out of the car and rock it slightly does the car then start?

The range switch is attached to the transmission and reports back whether the transmission is in park. The car won't start if that's not working properly. If you "rock" the car this sometimes moves the transmission such that the range switch now detects that the car is in park. Other's have had success by nudging / tapping the shifter which might have the same effect.

The good news is that this can be a relatively inexpensive fix -- about $60 for a new switch and 1.5 hours or so of labor. The bad news is that the range switch failing can be a precursor to more serious transmission issues. Depending on your exact model you might be able to visually inspect the range switch -- I believe those are sometimes on top of the transmission box and visible when the hood is open but I'm not sure on that.

If it's not the range switch, as others have mentioned it could be that the starting system doesn't think the brake pedal is depressed. In that case, pressing and holding the start button for 30 seconds or so should start the car as that will override the "brake pedal not pressed" check.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts