Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever pressed the engine start button while driving down the street? Out of curiosity, I did. All the light went off immediately. I re-pressed quickly and lights came back on and car operated back to normal. For that brief duration, the steering wheel seemed to work...

Could this be a defective design? If I were the firware designer, I would place the speed check before turning off the system, upon the driver's pressing the button--or upon detecting the diappearance of the fob from the car. (maybe fob battery is dead suddenly, or fob was thrown outside accidentally....):confused:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would've thought it would be engineered fool-proof too. I might have to go find a long, wide empty road to test this on myself.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Not surprising - every vehicle I've ever owned did the same if I turned the key off while driving. Engine shuts down and all dash lights go off. I wouldn't call the design "very dangerous" as it's no different than most if not all other cars on the road - just my opinion.

Now if a driver throws the key fob out the window - I would call them a dangerous driver!!! :eek:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Actually, removing the fob from the car does not stop the car from operating. I've stood outside of my car as my wife drove away. It's actually a little disappointing, as I would've thought that a nice benefit to having electronics fobs is the extra security measure that no one could drive away without having your fob.

·
Registered
802 Posts
If the car is in Park and you remove the key fob from the vehicle, you cannot take the car out of park. Ask the car wash attendants near my house!

Regarding the OP's question, this is as much as safety feature as it is a safety risk. If the car has an issue while driving (such as a stuck throttle), sometimes the safest thing to do is turn off the ignition. And I actually think it is a requirement of the NHTSA to act this way (that's why all cars in the US do this).

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hardy-har har....what if it's accidentally pressed? In any case, do you need to hold the button in longer than normal for it to turn off the vehicle?
Kayan, let us know what happens when you try it...I'm not going to play with it but would like to know what to expect in the event something goes wrong.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well I know if the car is running and say someone jumps in your car and drives off while the fob is in your pocket, the car will make a long loud beep and after 10 secs shuts itself down. I know cause a buddy of mine tried to jack my car haha!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Well I know if the car is running and say someone jumps in your car and drives off while the fob is in your pocket, the car will make a long loud beep and after 10 secs shuts itself down. I know cause a buddy of mine tried to jack my car haha!
Ummmm im not sure how that happened but it either has to be outside the US or your buddy is just messing with you... People have talked about their wives or family members driving across town without the keys in the car... I think one guy was talking about his wife had his keys a state or two over from him and people just told him to have his wife overnight them in the mail to be cheaper than having one made at the stealership...

·
Registered
647 Posts
The button should have one of those little spring-loaded covers you have to lift to push it, like they use for launching nuclear missiles. That would be awesome. Are you listening Shark Racing?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Or maybe it should have a fingerprint scanner/temperature reader to detect whether or not the finger pushing it is sweating and in distress. If so, deploy parachute :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts