Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have had our Sonata limited towed in to the dealer twice now because of the start switch. Both times the car cranked after setting a while. In the first instance the dealer change the battery after the car had run down the battery cycling through the start process for two days and then it started. In the second instance the car wouldn't recognize the key and then after a few hours it did. The dealer said he changed the battery in the key fob. (Honda fobs are recognized by the car whether the fob battery is dead or not. It has a sensor and if you hold the fob in front of the starting button it recognizes the key.)

We don't trust this car. It let my wife down in the boon docs. Trouble is I don't feel right selling it to someone knowing it is apt to do this and Hyundai says they will do nothing. They say to call them the next time it happens.

I want a car with a key now that I have had this experience and one that I count on to crank. This Sonata is not that car.

What should we do???

·
Registered
330 Posts
I was told that if the fob is dead the key in the fob will open the door and then use the fob to push the start button.

·
Registered
802 Posts
In the Sonatas, there is a slot in the front of the center console (under the center arm rest) that the key fob clicks into. If the fob battery is low/dead, you can click the fob into this slot and the car will read it. To remove the fob, push it in until it clicks again and pops out (like a ball point pen mechanism). This is the fob battery fail-safe.

·
Registered
699 Posts
What should we do??? You could give the Sonata to me or someone else that would take it off your hands. I don't know how long you have had your Sonata but if you purchased new, maybe 2 - 4 years. Have you ever read the manual? If not I suggest reading the manual. Much helpful information is provided for users.

My Sonata is a 2011 Limited, same as your auto. The battery failed about 6 months ago but did not leave me stranded as change out was made before complete, no crank failure. I also replaced the battery in both remotes about the same time. The remote battery is something you can do yourself as its a coin style calculator battery. This type of service is called preventative maintenance service and prevents unexpected failures.

One other item to mention. If the auto battery is dead the fob will not start the auto no matter if its a Hyundai Sonata or a Honda no matter how its used or where its placed.

It is not practical to try and change the Sonata over to a key type system. At least not in my opinion. You need to learn how to cope with a modern auto or trade it for something with a key. Or, give it to me. lol

Hopefully you will return to the forum and read the many items of helpful information provided.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
this is the same as the tires are flat! Hyundai quality is terrible, i'm not buying another one. I've had it for two years now and the tires went flat on me.

running down a battery trying to start the car doesn't necessitate a new battery. now if the battery was weak to begin with, that's a different story.

like others have said, dead car battery, nothing will start. FOB battery low or dead, read the manual, put it in the slot in the console, car starts right up.

also, there is the push the button to the 'ON" position. then hold it for 6-10 seconds, the car will start. i can't be for sure on this as i never had to use it. (again, it's in the black book they give you at delivery)

I had a 2011 for almost three years. never ONCE did i have a starting issue or FOB issue. traded it with 61K miles on it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Trouble is I don't feel right selling it to someone knowing it is apt to do this and Hyundai says they will do nothing.
Both instances seem to have been caused by dead batteries and they fixed it both times. Also, even a dead FOB can be made to work using the socket in the console. What do you want them to do?

If you don't feel right about selling it:

New Jersey Car Donation - Donate Your Vehicle

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I've got to say this is the first car I've had with push button start and I may never buy a car without it again. Just love that feature.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
I'm tempted to call BS on the OP.

I have my reasons, but as soon as I read what Honda fobs do when they are dead, it seems very trollish.

However, I will play devil's advocate and try to post a solution to the problem. OP feel free to take the advice or not.

Your car seems to have an issue with the brake pedal switch. Its a 2011 (from the info under your SN), and almost all of those had the first-gen switches with the bad design. Hyundai issued several recalls for this, so you car is covered regardless of mileage. Please search the forums for posts on this to get the campaign numbers. Also a visit to your dealer to search by vin should reveal if you car has already been serviced for this.

You may also have a bad start button. Has happened to a few folks around here...again check for possible warranty repair or get the button from one of the many vendors that sponsor the site. With the availability of the HMA service manual online, you could also do this fix yourself if not covered by warranty.

If you encounter this no start condition again, follow these steps and I guarantee your car will start.
1 Press the Start button again to stop the cranking cycle. (IMPORTANT: after about 2 seconds of cranking or your risk damage to your starter)

2 Place the fob inside the port in the center console. Make sure to push it all the way in and release, as it is a spring loaded mechanism. (you can detach the key blade from it if its on a ring of keys)

3 Step firmly on the brake pedal (it will most likely be hard because vaccum pressure has not built since engine did not run)

4 Tap Start button again. Car should start right up. I emphasize the tap because holding it in will not help your situation.

Again, I offer this as advice to help you and save you from an expensive mistake (donating a newer car) due to misplaced anger.

Not feeding a troll, but helping a person.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not a troll. Car ran the battery down the first time cycling through the start process for almost two days. Dealer changed it and then it would start. He could not explain why it ran the battery down.

The second time the car cranked after several hours with the very fob the dealer changed the battery. He said he had no idea why it wouldn't crank earlier and could find no problems so he changed the fob battery just in case.

You guys can call this quality if you want but quality to me starts with the car actually running.

It is crap. Now if you want to buy it I will happily sell it.

Oh BTW Hyundai fired top management this passed week for quality issues. Goggle it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh after you guys berated me for saying something bad about a Sonata I went to consumer reports to see how the car was rated now as a used car and it has the worst rating for electronics that CR gives.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
No one was berating you. You said you don't trust the car because it wouldn't start. There's a procedure published in the manual for starting the car with a dead FOB battery. You obviously never bothered to consult the manual. Sorry to say, but that's called being incompetent.

And yes, people are going to get defensive when someone makes a post bashing their car. The YF has been around for almost 4 years now and there are plenty of people who have put many thousands of trouble free miles on their cars.

I suppose when your engine blows up because you didn't know you were supposed to change the oil, you'll be on here exclaiming how terrible Hyundais are.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No one was berating you. You said you don't trust the car because it wouldn't start. There's a procedure published in the manual for starting the car with a dead FOB battery. You obviously never bothered to consult the manual. Sorry to say, but that's called being incompetent.

And yes, people are going to get defensive when someone makes a post bashing their car. The YF has been around for almost 4 years now and there are plenty of people who have put many thousands of trouble free miles on their cars.

I suppose when your engine blows up because you didn't know you were supposed to change the oil, you'll be on here exclaiming how terrible Hyundais are.
No I am telling you the fod wasn't dead. It worked in a couple of hours after letting us down. Dealer simply changed the battery because he needed to do something IMHO to make a warranty claim. He can't find what is wrong. He checked the brake switch.

It is a quality and design issue. You deny all you want. Why did CR rate the 2011 model year and only that year as the worst for electronics if there are not problems? Why did the top guys get canned? Why did we stand on the side of the road twice because a two year old car would not start?

My experience is Hyundais suck. I have been driving and owning cars for 40 years and only one other car left me stranded and that F150 had 250000 miles on it and the water pump went out.

You are welcome to it. Bring a check to Louisiana for $18000. It looks brand new. Has everything except navigation (thank goodness no navigation) turbo 4 is fast when it cranks. 45000 miles.

·
Registered
920 Posts

Haha. Good one. That made me chuckle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The BATTERY UNDER the HOOD was dead or the BATTERY in THE FOB was dead???
changed one one time the other the other time. Changed the car battery after the car sit in the parking lot and cycled for almost two days through the starting process without actually engaging the starter. It let us down on a Saturday and we had to leave it until tow service could pick it up on Monday.

I believe in that case removing the battery reset something much like rebooting a computer would. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong in either instance.

Now why would a car fail to crank and cycle like it did if everything is ok??

The fob wasn't dead in the second instance as it cranked it after a while and over the two days it took us to get it to the dealer. He just did something instead of saying he couldn't find anything.

Hyundai CS said they had calls with the problem. Who the heck sells cars they know will strand people without issuing a recall to fix it? They want to wait till we have another problem to talk about doing something with us. Where will we be next time???

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Dude, you just had a dead battery. Did the dealer install a new battery in the car? If so, was the problem resolved after that?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts