Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: I know very little about cars but would like to remedy that.

My car -2005 Accent- wants to stall immediately after filling the tank. Only then. And only for a few minutes afterwards. Once I have my foot on the gas pedal for a bit, it runs perfectly fine.

A P0711 code came up last week and I brought it to a local transmission place. I explained the fuel issue and they had no ideas. They replaced the trans fluid temp sensor, gasket and filter as well as spark plugs and wires (I was in need of those last two). The CEL is gone but this issue still remains.

Poking around on the forum here, I see that a common problem that would cause this is a bad purge valve. Is this possibly something I could do myself or is it best left to someone with experience?

Thanks~

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yeah that is the typical symptom, should also be a ECM code showing up as well.

Gas tank evap,has an air inlet filter close to the tank fill up spout that can also cause refuelling problem start up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks santa. There wasn't an ECM code that I know of. Do you think this problem could be caused by something else?

I just watched a YT video for replacing it and it looks like it is pretty straight forward to do. <famous last words>

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
It is easy to change and I have had them fail before; but there was always a code.

Without code I would guess the tank air filter, which happened to a 2005,élantra we had.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Don't spent the money yet!
Remove the purge valve and wire it to your battery to see if you hear it clicking and blow through it as well.
If you need one? only buy an original because it will NOT run correctly with your ECM computer.
Many codes from a bad DM-TL or gas cap or rotted tubing from the filler tube.
If your charcoal canister is breaking apart and jamming the DM-TL let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the additional info, jimbro. I will take your advice with checking the purge valve directly off the battery and see what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also... I always "top off" a full tank of gas. Every time. *hangs head in shame* I had no idea that you weren't supposed to do that. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i wouldn't even bother taking the time to connect to battery, usually these problems are the valve sticking open. normal operation of this valve is to open and close quite rapidly once the car has been running for a minute or two. even putting your finger on it it's quite obvious. the valve is rather loud, very normal for it.

to check for passing (ie. stuck open which sounds like your problem) just take off the tube on the passenger side (other side goes into intake, you want the long one) and attach a piece of CLEAN tubing. now blow into it. you'll know if its stuck open and passing right quick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the purge valve replaced and the problem with stalling after fueling is gone.

But the new purge valve makes a very loud clicking/vibrating sound. I understand they supposed to make a clicking sound, but this is very loud and its never sounded like that before. Any suggestions?

·
22,793 Posts
I just watched a YT video for replacing it and it looks like it is pretty straight forward to do. <famous last words>
I used to hate it when someone would tell me, "Oh, it's easy, nothing to it, Rich." Don't ask how some of those worked out for me.

But that was long before the YT videos came to everyone's rescue. If there's something I don't know (which is a lot), I can see it on YT or read about it. Then I can understand and do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, that is very true zero_gravity... the contrast between working and not. I was wondering if maybe a hose had a crack or something.

I'm with you, OkieRich, I've learned a lot from YouTube... It is helpful for me to see it done in real time rather than just reading about it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i did some poking around today and disconnected the canister purge valve and got the code p0444. so i think this is different from the code that u got earlier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, the code I was getting was for the transmission sensor, which has been replaced. However, my CEL came on again this morning so back to the drawing board, I guess. I haven't pulled the codes yet as it happened on the way to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old post but maybe I can get some help. I have the P0455 code on my wife's 07 Accent. I replaced the purge valve and disconnected the battery to reset the code. After about 5 minutes of running the car the code came back. Are there any other ways to fix this? Did replacing the fuel tank air filter do anything to help?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
plz read:

OBD-II Trouble Code: P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (no purge flow or large leak)

if you disconnect the purge valve that itself will throw a code. isn't usually a leak one i don't think though.

so your items are really just the gas cap or a leak somewhere else in the system, maybe a broken line or at worst the charcoal filter has had it and is leaking. should be obvious, usually cracked housing or the sealed lid has burst off partially.

only way to solve it is to get under the car and start looking. if its not obvious, it can be a pain.

one way i have used is to use compressed air to pressurize the system SLIGHTLY. this system could be damaged if you put too much pressure on it. i used a secondary air regulator to get about 3-5psi on it. disconnected at the purge valve inlet and put my pressure in there.

to simplify:

small compressor -> compressor's regulator down as low as possible -> into air gun so i can easily turn on/off air supply -> secondary regulator/gauge to monitor pressure in system - > evap tube. put some air in and see if it holds pressure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The purge valve fixed the issue. But another CE light came on 5 minutes after starting the car back up. It was P0123 throttle position sensor circuit high input. I'm researching it now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts