Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I hope someone can help me because I feel like my Hyundai dealer is trying to take advantage of me. Here is the deal: I took my 2002 Hyundai Elantra to the dealer to fix some recall items. The recall item in question is Recall V04. They replaced the manifold assy-exh (part 28510-23721). When I drove the car home from the dealer the check engine light came on. Took it back, and they said Po441 code came up (Purge valve has internal part failure). I find it very strange that I had no problems with the car until they fixed those recall items.

Can you tell me where in proximity the purge valve controller and the manifold/gasket-exhaust parts are on my 2002 Hyundai Elantra? Are they physically next to each other? Is it possible to inadvertently damage one while replacing the other? I see that they had to disconnect the oxygen sensor to fix Recall V04 - could that have been damaged and thus impact the purge valve? Now the check engine has come on again. I'm making another visit to them tonight.

The part numbers involved are as follows:

28910-22040 Valve-Purge Contr
28510-23721 Manifold Assy-Exh
28521-23005 Gasket-Exhaust MA
28764-28020 Gasket-Exhaust PI

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
VO4 exhaust manifold replace only entails removal of exhaust manifold right there between engine and radiator..

Purge vavle is an EVAP system part... the valve itself is located between the engine and bulkhead under the intake/throttle body.. 2 seperate systems and way far apart to be messed with..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Jul 13 2010, 04:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341459
VO4 exhaust manifold replace only entails removal of exhaust manifold right there between engine and radiator..

Purge vavle is an EVAP system part... the valve itself is located between the engine and bulkhead under the intake/throttle body.. 2 seperate systems and way far apart to be messed with..

SBR711 - Thank you for the feedback! Last night the dealer said the newest reason for the check engine light is Code P0139 - Sensor slow to respond. Diagnose bad flex pipe. This one will cost $860.00 to fix. I walked away telling them they were crazy. I'm sorry but this is way too much of a coincidence for me. At the beginning of June my car passed the safety and emissions tests. Now at the end of June when they did their work suddenly I am having all of these exhaust/emissions problems. I know to fix the original Recall V04 issue they had to remove the oxygen sensor and then replace it. I can't help but think they messed up something there. But again, thank you for your input!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Tizzy12 @ Jul 14 2010, 10:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341605
SBR711 - Thank you for the feedback! Last night the dealer said the newest reason for the check engine light is Code P0139 - Sensor slow to respond.
Ok.. P-0139 is a B1S2 slow response... got exhaust noise under front of car ?? Chances are movement of pipe during VO4 finished off what exposeure to elements started (rust).. or it was slight leak when they got it..

Diagnose bad flex pipe. (Correct diag is crack/exhaust leak at front exhaust pipe)
Yep, gots odd exhaust noise under front of car when running ? Happens all the time on the Accent, but it leaves a p-0133 slow response with B1S1... Hyundai actually wrote TSB for Accent as people kept replacing B1S1 and still had code come back, and they would warranty the new part (nothing wrong with new part)... and never bother with exhaust leak that was contaminating exhaust sample across sensor' nose

This one will cost $860.00 to fix.
Yep, pipe has a catalyst welded to end of it... common part to replace before replacing a goood ox sensor...

I walked away telling them they were crazy.
Actually the diag is correct

I'm sorry but this is way too much of a coincidence for me. At the beginning of June my car passed the safety and emissions tests. Now at the end of June when they did their work suddenly I am having all of these exhaust/emissions problems.
This is the 3rd week of July, you is talking a month ago...

I know to fix the original Recall V04 issue they had to remove the oxygen sensor and then replace it.
#1 --> They had to remove B1S1 .... your -0139 code is for B1S2 , located in the front pipe just behind the drive axle and a couple inch from the crack in the accordion section of the front pipe that is leaking and allowing outside air into the exhaust straem, sending a contaminated sample across the sensor' tip.

I cant tell you how many B1S1 I have had to replace after customer got back because the torque required to break sensor loose caused the hoousing-gut to twist enough to break them internal, couple key cycle of drive time for PCM to determine logic is incorrect, and back they come with MIL illuminated...

I can't help but think they messed up something there.
Depends on how far you want to push the issue, you had aged pipe wiith rust, possibly cracked or starting to crack when you gave it to them, they followed hyundai instructions to replace manifold, and resulting movement finished off the crack for you... normally the pipe is clamped in place, but you need to remove clamp and flange bolts to seperate and move pipe out of way, the extra movement while apart may have helped you along..

Remember the pipe is 6yr old, exposure to elements/stuff on road a few inch below, and rust... dealer did not put the rust wear on the pipe...

But again, thank you for your input!

Don't be mad at me for the response, stuff happens..

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Just happened upon an Elantra for 60 service today :banana:

Here is ppic of exhaust (note it is later than yours, only difference is your manifold comes down and exits straight back and your flange is right there where the elbow is on this pipe in the picture.. note the clamp there, mormal movement is back/forth..

with removal of clamp and seperating the flanges, there is a bit more movement that likely too chunk of rust off or exagerated the crack that was alread on the flex portion.

I took 2nd pic to show the flex section, and the crack will leak outside air into the exhaust tract and across the sensor there in the pic (B1S2) and give you the 0139 you say you have..

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you (or anyone else) happen to have a copy of that recall notice? I have a 2002 Elantra with a cracked exhaust manifold and I'm hoping it's covered by the hard-to-find warranty extension I've read about. Build date is March 2002 though. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the replacement exhaust manifold/converter replacement done on my 02 Elantra about a year ago, all covered by the warranty. My flex pipe was going bad at the time, but not enough to throw a code. It is not covered as part of the warrantied 'pollution control' systems, well the coverter on the piece would be, but it wasn't bad, the flex portion of the unit was. I started shopping around (the dealer, an "exhaust" shop", a local garage or two) about fixing/replacing the flex pipe. I started with the dealer, and yeah, it was over $800 to replace. So I went to a Midas/Meineke type place; they wouldn't "chop" out the the flex piece and weld in a new piece, they will only replace the entire original part--$600. Went to a couple local garages, they wanted from $150-$200 to get it up in the air and look into it, maybe more, depending... Anyway, after much hemming and hawwing and deep internet "hunting", I found a brand new unit with a full 5 year warranty for $180 delivered to my front door. Other than the O2 sensor, it was 2 bolts in front and 2 bolts in the back. Did it just using the car's wheel jack on the drivers side. I had to get bolts/nuts (the orig. had studs) but other than that, easy bolt-in job. Now, I had had the exhaust manifold replaced earlier so those front bolts were probably easier for me to crack than someone who hasn't had it done. Anyway, www.thecatalyticconverterstore.com is where I got it. And for the 2002 Elantra, here's the part: Eastern 40491 Direct Fit Converter - Standard

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (juniorbill @ Jul 15 2010, 04:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342093
Do you (or anyone else) happen to have a copy of that recall notice? I have a 2002 Elantra with a cracked exhaust manifold and I'm hoping it's covered by the hard-to-find warranty extension I've read about. Build date is March 2002 though. Thanks.
The way the recall worked was to take it in and they would check it. If it was OK, they "certified" that it would be covered for an additional 10 years from that date. If it was bad (cracked) they replaced it at that time. If you have a 2002, you are still within the initial 10 year warranty window and should just be able to take it in and have that part (the exhaust manifold/converter combo) replaced at no cost. Now, you may have a leak at the flex pipe (immediately follows the part they'll install) which may get worse with them working on it's attached parts. That's where I ordered and installed my own.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts