Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help, I was having trouble with hard starts after fueling and read on here that I should replace the purge control valve. I did replace it, that solved the problem :)
Now my check engine light is on code P0455 large leak, I failed DEQ, replaced purge valve again, changed vacuum hoses, changed gas cap, had the shop run smoke test they didn't detect any leaks. Now I wonder, did I put it in backwards? Which way should the arrow be orientated? Towards the driver side, or passanger side? I hate to take it to the shop for my silly mistake....arg...please help
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Arrow is pointed toward the intake, as in the flow direction, but that won't make a P0455. You got a leak you didn't find. Did you clear the code and it came back?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It is installed correctly. yes the code was cleared several times and comes back each time. sometimes within a day sometimes after a month. The problem started in Jan after I replaced valve. I have had it at 2 different shops that can't find anything wrong. when it has stayed off for an extended period of time I have taken it to DEQ but the system just reads unready. I don't know what to do at this point. My car runs and drives perfect, it is only worth about $2000. I have already paid 1300 to find out nothing. very frustrating. Also sometimes the code is the 0455 large leak, sometimes it comes up as small leak.

·
Registered
622 Posts
It is installed correctly. yes the code was cleared several times and comes back each time. sometimes within a day sometimes after a month. The problem started in Jan after I replaced valve. I have had it at 2 different shops that can't find anything wrong. when it has stayed off for an extended period of time I have taken it to DEQ but the system just reads unready. I don't know what to do at this point. My car runs and drives perfect, it is only worth about $2000. I have already paid 1300 to find out nothing. very frustrating. Also sometimes the code is the 0455 large leak, sometimes it comes up as small leak.
Has the dealership run AND PRINTED an evap leak test from the GDS? I've noticed a LOT of techs get lost/scared when it comes to the evap system and electrical problems. The GDS will run the test and give results, if there's no leak, it'll say so.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Your purge valve was probably not defective at all. You are more likely to have a small to intermediate leak back near the tank, around the charcoal canister area. A possibility is the close valve mounted on the charcoal cannister - it could be a dirty electrical connection at the valve, or the valve not functioning right (outright failure, or sluggish and incomplete closure). Also the rubber hoses could be cracking or even the clamps rusted off - remember the hoses are exposed to the elements under the vehicle and do age out eventually. I have had to replace these hoses on both the '02 and the '03 Sonatas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts