Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new car, and I'm pretty sold on the Elantra. I've been test driving the 2013 models, and I'm pretty close to finally making a purchase.

Currently, the dealership I'm talking to has about $2500 worth of discounts associated with the purchase of a new Elantra, which is in effect until the end of October (2 weeks away). I am guessing the deep discounts are mostly about getting the 2013 stock sold off before the 2014s come in.

I would much rather buy a more deeply discounted new 2013 Elantra than buy a 2014 at MSRP. My question is this... Am I correct in assuming that the new model will initially not be discounted much?

·
22,788 Posts
I would much rather buy a more deeply discounted new 2013 Elantra than buy a 2014 at MSRP. My question is this... Am I correct in assuming that the new model will initially not be discounted much?
Your conerns are valid. Been there, done that. While some dealers will certainly offer discounts, and others will offer deeper discounts on their 2013's. It largely depends upon your negotiating power and their willingness to clear the lot of their current year stock. Remind them that they are not the only squirrels in the forest. Get up and walk out. Don't get caught up in the emotion of the sale and the desire. They will play upon that.

RE: 2014's...how are they equiped as compared to the 2013's? Anything you CAN NOT live without? Or is it just more fluff you aren't really needing?

Do your homework and decide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've checked out the 2014 Elantra online, and there isn't anything new that REALLY catches my eye. While the changes are all fine and good, they're not worth skipping the discounts. That's really my only concern at the moment... Finding out I could have gotten a 2014 for the same price.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yeah I went for a 2013 myself. I got a Limited w/ NAV for a great price! Walk out, go to other Hyundai dealers if possible. Work out deals with them and see who can give you the best price. Heck, you can even go to other car dealers. The night I bought my Elantra fully loaded, I stopped at a Ford and drove an almost loaded Focus w NAV but no sunroof, and maybe not leather either. They gave me a great price on an actually more expensive car. Drove back over to Hyundai(literally like .5 mile away from each other) and said hey, ford offering me focus w/ NAV for X price. Pressured Hyundai and said I can get a Focus w/ NAV, and either meet it or I'll drive back to Ford and seal that deal. Walked out with a fully loaded Elantra.

Work the dealers! You can get a great deal. I got this back in July so surely they're even more pressed to get rid of 2013s. I figured the 2014 might have some LED upgrades and stuff, but I know I couldn't afford a fully loaded new 2014. So I took the next best at a great price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, while I would love an Elantra Limited w/Nav, it's just too cost prohibitive at this point. I'm currently looking at an Elantra GLS with the Preferred Package for about $17000 and hoping to negotiate more like $16500. Even with an amazing deal, I don't see the price of a Limited going down to where I could justify the cost.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yeah, while I would love an Elantra Limited w/Nav, it's just too cost prohibitive at this point. I'm currently looking at an Elantra GLS with the Preferred Package for about $17000 and hoping to negotiate more like $16500. Even with an amazing deal, I don't see the price of a Limited going down to where I could justify the cost.
True, it does add a good bit. I walked out paying $17,900 for my Limited w/NAV. That was with $2500 down from my trade in and the rest was dealer incentives and working them for a deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed, even with a $2500 trade-in. The fully tricked-out Limiteds seem to be going for ~$25,000 MSRP, so even with $2500 in discounts and a $2500 trade in, that would still bring the price down to only around $20,000. $17,900 is an absolute steal.

·
Registered
547 Posts
That's a great price you got for a Limited with NAV.:D
Yeah I was very thankful for such a deal. I guess my month of research and going to around 8 different dealers(not just Hyundai) paid off lol But hopefully it gives faith to the OP that really great deals can happen. I'm sure they know but I know I liked hearing about deals like that. Basically so I know what I should get as well and what to expect what's realistic and what's not.

I think the main thing is to really "play with the dealers". Those managers can dig around a lot with those figures. But it does depend on the dealer. Some have more room to play with than others. One Hyundai dealer I couldn't get much out of them at all. I moved onto other dealers then. But luck certainly also plays into as well. But one thing I did notice was that anytime I mentioned another car(the focus, I looked at chevy cruze too), the competitors dealers ears perked up real quick and they were willing to work more.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Agreed, even with a $2500 trade-in. The fully tricked-out Limiteds seem to be going for ~$25,000 MSRP, so even with $2500 in discounts and a $2500 trade in, that would still bring the price down to only around $20,000. $17,900 is an absolute steal.
Yeah I was surprised to get that deal. But hey, the Elantra as a whole is a great car. So whatever you choose, I think you'll be very happy. But I definitely recommend checking out other dealers. Especially if you're trading in a car. See if other dealers can give you more money for your trade in. That is if you have one.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If you're looking at the 2013 GLS, the 2014 becomes the SE and the wheels downsize from 16 to 15. For the Limited, you lose the moonroof - they bumped it to the tech package. Be sure you're not losing anything you want if you choose to wait for the 2014 model. The only change I see that I think I might like is that they moved the center vents up to either side of the radio. But time will tell if the airflow from the higher vents is bothersome compared to the kneecap coolers they have down there now.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you're looking at the 2013 GLS, the 2014 becomes the SE and the wheels downsize from 16 to 15. For the Limited, you lose the moonroof - they bumped it to the tech package. Be sure you're not losing anything you want if you choose to wait for the 2014 model. The only change I see that I think I might like is that they moved the center vents up to either side of the radio. But time will tell if the airflow from the higher vents is bothersome compared to the kneecap coolers they have down there now.
Interesting changes there. Seems like steps in the wrong direction. Definitely makes me more satisfied with my choice to go for the 13.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
The '14 Limited does gain an "underhood insulator pad", though. And inexplicably, the GLS becomes the SE and there will be a sport sedan that instead of being called the SE, will be called the Sport Sedan. It will have the 2.0 liter Nu and some other sporty touches.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The '14 Limited does gain an "underhood insulator pad", though. And inexplicably, the GLS becomes the SE and there will be a sport sedan that instead of being called the SE, will be called the Sport Sedan. It will have the 2.0 liter Nu and some other sporty touches.
Oh I see. Well, looking forward to see how it turns out. I'm sure inside I'll want it when it's released, especially that sport edition lol. As long as there isn't significantly better gas mileage, I won't regret my choice.

·
22,788 Posts
After reading the above, my decision to buy a 2013 was the smart one. Nothing stated so far rings my bell. Maybe they'll get my attention in 2015. Aid if they do, the chances of getting my money goes up proportionately with the added features and benefits.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Currently, the dealership I'm talking to has about $2500 worth of discounts associated with the purchase of a new Elantra, which is in effect until the end of October (2 weeks away). I am guessing the deep discounts are mostly about getting the 2013 stock sold off before the 2014s come in.

I didn't buy my GT from San Leandro Hyundai but you might want to check them out. As of now, they are the only dealership discounting $2500-$3000 in addition to Hyundai Motor Finance rebate of $1500. $500 for Hyundai ownership, but they did not mention competitive rebate, but ask.

I got $2200 off with $1500 HMF rebate (2.9% rate), but there is no prepayment penalty if you pay off your loan early, but then it was only 1 of 3 manual transmissions within the state of Calif. Got $500 competitive rebate for the Soul. Good luck dealing.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry, my mistake. They only have one of the Elantra GLS and it's not any better than your $2500 off. The more expensive Limited and GT are heavily discounted.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Go in around noon in the middle of the week when nobody's buying. You'd be amazed at how quickly "We'll give you $14,000 for your trade" becomes "If we give you $20,000, will you do it?" with just a bit of pressure.

I speak from experience. :grin:

·
22,788 Posts
Check out Dublin Hyundai. They've been advertising $2600 off MSRP since August.
Is this $2,600 "deep discount" off their addendum sticker? The one next to the MSRP sticker which has, among others, items like Market Adjustment: $1,995, Nitrogen Tires: $195, Paint/Fabric Sealant: $495.00. There's your DEEP discount. Dealer still gets full sticker price on the sale. :wink2:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts