Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Accent GSI with manual trans. When accelerating, especially right after a shift, the car noticably pulls to the side.

Anyone else had this problem and found the cure?

I checked the engine mounts and all is well there.

Cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yaaa...I cant buy into that theory. The car does not have enough power to actually twist the longer drive shaft. It never used to do this, and has not had a major injection of power at any point either.

Cheer!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a few thoughts on your problem - nothing definitive, but something for you to take a look at.
  • Have you checked all the steering linkage? A loose joint might cause one wheel to move, pulling the car into that direction.
  • Have you checked the bearing/hub assembly to see if there's any play in either one? Especially the one on the side to which it pulls.
  • If it doesn't normally pull to one side in cruise conditions, there must be something that causes a change in wheel geometry & my last thoughts on this are that your suspension on that side might have an issue to allow that wheel to "trail" just a bit to give a pull.
I'm out of thoughts, wild or otherwise, on the cause.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Alfons, but this is why my original question was if anyone has had this issue, and what they did to fix it. Something is very amiss as it pulls a very noticable amount.

I dont have the car with me, as it is my daughters and she lives a ways away. When I get it in my hands I will be checking for worn componants.

Cheers!

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you want the car to drive straight, it needs to have a proper 4 wheel alignment. For an alignment to be worth even spending one penny on, you need to make sure all the suspension components are in good condition. No worn or loose ball joints. No worn or loose outer tie-rod ends. No worn or loose wheel bearings. And have never been in a major accident that would still effect the suspension geometry.

It all starts with inspecting the car for worn/loose suspension components. If all is good, then buy a 4 wheel alignment from an honest, reputable alignment/suspension shop.

In your instance, I'm sure you'll find something worn out. Worn components most likely will have caused your tires to show irregular wear symptoms. It would be smart to balance and rotate the front tires (with irregular wear) to the back. You want the best tires in the front on a car like this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car drives perfectly straight when not "on the gas" and seems to brake straight as well. I am strongly thinking lower control arm bushings. When I get the car in my hands (daughters car, lives 90 mins away) I will be checking that out, as well as other componants for wear.

Cheers,

·
Registered
448 Posts
QUOTE (rcacs @ Nov 1 2010, 05:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368033
The car drives perfectly straight when not "on the gas" and seems to brake straight as well. I am strongly thinking lower control arm bushings. When I get the car in my hands (daughters car, lives 90 mins away) I will be checking that out, as well as other componants for wear.

Cheers,
Let us know what you find, I'm interested.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to update this post for quite some time now. I was able to cure the problem completely. The driver side control arm ball joint was completely worn out, not sure why I didnt find it earlier. I replaced both sides (pass side seemed fine) and she drives straight as an arrow now under acceleration/shifting.

Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts