Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1504 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Car should not pull to one side. My new Murano did this, and dealer confirmed it was out of alignment. I did not notice on the initial test drive because it was in rush hour traffic. These problems should be taken care by the dealer when they come up, not an online forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my turbo limited indeed pulls to left as some as said, and it is not torque steer. It does it going down the interstate, under power or not. Noticed when i bought it and asked to align and they said to drive it for a while and see if it gets better. It has not so its going back. After seeing the post i assume it is a common problem, funny things it is worst as speed increases , say not noticeable at 50 but go to 75 and it is guite noticeable . Assuming it is just a alignment problem will post results.
By the way torque steer depends on a lot of variables including weight, power. half shaft length, road conditions etc, but generally front drivers with a decent amount of power will torque steer somewhat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Our limited 2.0t has pulled slight right from delivery (12 miles)

As for tq steer, I've experienced zero tq steer from 3 2011 sonatas. Test drove a SE, SE 2.0t and own a limited 2.0t. No tq steer. Boost is electronically limited until 4th gear to eliminate tq steer the 2.0t. My 5th gen Prelude 5mt on the other hand will yank the wheel outta your hands on 1-2 and tug 2-3 :dry:

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (CLEsque @ Nov 11 2010, 03:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370761
Our limited 2.0t has pulled slight right from delivery (12 miles)

As for tq steer, I've experienced zero tq steer from 3 2011 sonatas. Test drove a SE, SE 2.0t and own a limited 2.0t. No tq steer. Boost is electronically limited until 4th gear to eliminate tq steer the 2.0t. My 5th gen Prelude 5mt on the other hand will yank the wheel outta your hands on 1-2 and tug 2-3 :dry:
WOW...exactly how fast do you need to be going for the "Limiter" to turn off in 4th gear and boosting ?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm willing to bet the cars tuning is load based. What that means if the target it 110% load then the car will adjust boost (using the wastegate) accordingly to achieve this, in the lower gears it may only need 6psi boost to reach 110% due to gearing so it doesn't reach the 14.6 psi that it will hit to achieve that same load in 4th gear say.

·
Registered
17 Posts
QUOTE (The Rock13 @ Nov 10 2010, 09:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370714
Update - Went back to the dealer this evening, they confirmed while prepping the vehicle they put to much air in the driver's side front tire causing the car to pull to the left. They claimed it had 65lbs in the one tire, others were at 32lbs. Drove it tonight over the same roads and it did not pull. I can only assume that was the corrective action.
I took mine in to the dealer and the alignment was off in the back. They fixed the rear alignment then it changed the front alignment. All fixed now now and it drives straight as an arrow.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Although dealer said Pulling Left problem was solved from to much air in right front tire, apparently that was not the only issue. Cruising over 45MPH the car pulls left if you let your hands off the steering wheel. As speed increases pulling becomes more evident. Taking back to dealer on Tuesday, will have a mechanic take a drive so that I can demonstrate how the vehicle changes lanes by itself....Will update with results, once available. Vehicle only has 125 miles on OD.

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (The Rock13 @ Nov 15 2010, 11:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372057
Although dealer said Pulling Left problem was solved from to much air in right front tire, apparently that was not the only issue. Cruising over 45MPH the car pulls left if you let your hands off the steering wheel. As speed increases pulling becomes more evident. Taking back to dealer on Tuesday, will have a mechanic take a drive so that I can demonstrate how the vehicle changes lanes by itself....Will update with results, once available. Vehicle only has 125 miles on OD.
Went for a ride with the Service Tech, when we hit the highway, he let go of the wheel and said "whoa" when the vehicle immediately changed lanes. He also noted the Steering Wheel was cocked to the left by about 5 degrees, left the car with them, they called this am stating it was fixed. They performed an alignment. Will test it out later today, hope this is the correct fix...

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (The Rock13 @ Nov 17 2010, 09:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372432
Went for a ride with the Service Tech, when we hit the highway, he let go of the wheel and said "whoa" when the vehicle immediately changed lanes. He also noted the Steering Wheel was cocked to the left by about 5 degrees, left the car with them, they called this am stating it was fixed. They performed an alignment. Will test it out later today, hope this is the correct fix...
Wow, gotta love internet forums. I just got mine today and on the drive home noticed the left pull. Just at a steady cruise 30-40 mph. Very worrisome. I'll be driving it to work for 50 miles on highway, if it's still there, I'm calling the sales rep and telling him to give me a loaner so they can keep it all day while I'm at work to get it realigned.
I also noticed a humming noise from the wheels cruising into my development at 20mph with the radio off. Hope tha'ts not normal for the 225 tires. Hopefully the realignment fixes that.

I guess new cars don't go through a 4 wheel alignment after production ? ...or not Hyundais ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ Nov 17 2010, 11:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372657
In 4th gear 66 MPH is when the boost is not limited and the torque value is at maximum running 91 octane.
Nice, when it's not really all that useful :grin:

I took my 2.0 out last night on the freeway and noticed this as well... Does seem odd that nearly everyone's problem with alignment is that the car veers to the left. I'll be taking mine in early next week to get aligned.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I guess I have a ghost.
The Dealer called saying "was it while under power, cause that's torqe steer".
I told him no it's not torque steer, and this is why I offered him to go for a ride when I dropped it off. He said, "no, we believe you".

So I went back at lunch time to take the Technician out, and showed him the pull left. To their defense in missing it, it IS inconsistent. If I steady the car and hold the wheel and let go, it will stay straight. As soon as I slightly turn the wheel, the left pull is back, veering the car left as I pull it back to the right, then back to the left, and it will stay until I hold the wheel and center it in the lane.
The Tech "said" he put it on the alignment rack and everything is perfect, he confused and unsure and said he's going to call the factory.

If this car drives like this, I won't let my wife drive on the NJ Turnpike up to NY with Semis on either side of her....I may have to return this car.
Odd thing, the Loaner GLS they gave me DOES THE EXACT SAME THING.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's confirmed. The one we test drove today also pulled left, and quite obviously at that. We still bought one, a different color than the one we drove, and are picking it up tonight. I'll let you know if this one too, pulls to the left.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Well the Dealer confirmed that the tech put the car on the Alignment machine and everything's within spec. He also said he contact Hyundai and "there's nothing that can be done".
I'm on Vacation all next week, and the Tuesday I get back I'm taking it back to the Dealer and driving the Service Manager in the car.

What scares me is IF the car is Aligned properly, now what ? In the frame, suspensions, tires, wheels ?

The big issues is, it's not consistent, and the Dealer argued that a car out of alignment is mechanical and it would be consistent. The Dealer half thinks I'm nuts and keeps saying Torque Steer. I told him on the phone to please stop saying torque steer.

I will be sure and report back what happens Nov. 30th, but if nothing can be done and this phenomenon is standard with Turbos, I don't think I can keep this car. When the drifting happens, it's a challenge to keep the car centered in the lane cause you're fighting and compensating the forces on the wheel trying to pull it left as you're pulling right.
Not to mention premature wearing down these expensive tires !

·
Registered
72 Posts
We picked up our black on black 2.0t limited last night, and I haven't had enough time behind the wheel of it to discern how bad it is. Being it's not very consistent, I wonder if it's partly related to the electric assist in the steering. It's definitely got a "fake" weighted feeling at speed that doesn't give you accurate feedback, and I would be that this is completely or at least partially to blame for the pulling feel that we're experiencing. If I remember correctly, there was a software update for the steering on the n/a models a while back besides the steering recall. I know it's an issue, and maybe it's something that can be solved electronically. Maybe we all need to complain to get this accomplished. In the mean time, I will try and get more seat time to help determine what is going on.

·
Registered
655 Posts
WOW, now you're making me think it's in teh Software.
What's the Steering Recall details ?
Being this is a brand new production car, I doubt it's related ot the old one on the Sonata page, but since the Loaner was doing it also (and it had the newer style horn and only 200 miles, it may be time for another Hyundai Sterring Recall.

The inconsistency is making it very subtle, and only the most sophistacated drivers will notice. :thumbsup:

My wife just took it out for her first drive running errands, and she commented on the HD radio losing reception, and the engine noise, but she didn't notice the steering !

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Torque steer in modern cars is very minimal, and usually only shows up if you have a very strong engine and flog it from a stop. Torque steer should never show up in normal driving at highway speed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just had a chance to take it for a bit of a drive and it is clearly not something that we are going to want to live with. I will send it back next week to have them check alignment etc., but it's pulling pretty hard to the left. It's def not torque steer as when I let off the gas, it still pulls left. If your service guy says it's torque steer, he's wrong. There's no way that this is torque steer. Also, with as bad as ours is, there's no way they could say they didn't notice it. Hopefully it's something the dealer can fix. If not, we may have to go after Hyundai on this. It's a shame too, because this really is a great car.

21 - 40 of 1504 Posts