Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1504 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone having pulling/veering to the left problems with the Turbo. just got my limited turbo fully loaded with everything(out the door for 32800 by the way). pulls to the left majorly when getting on the gas.
put it in neutral on the freeway and goes straight as an arrow. as soon as i put some gas on, it veers to left. off the line, if i get on it, i really have to hold the wheel to keep it straight.
is this normal??? i test drove a limited turbo at another dealer before i bought my harbor gray metallic at this dealer and it did not pull left at all. please help. not to happy right now.
other than that, the car is awsome, really fast. great powerband. stereo and nav are awsome. nav has slight glitch, wont find even addresses, only odd ones. i found out from mapnsoft this is a known glitch.
new upgrade is supposed to be out by end of november and fixes this glitch. dealer is supposed to upgrade for free if you bought car within 6months of upgrade. bluetooth works great with my HTC incredible.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's called torque steer, a front wheel drive car will pull to the side of the car that has the shorter drive axle.

Normal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GQ Neo, so why does my stepduaghters car, which is also a 2011 sonata,(non turbo) not have the same issue. that was actually my car for 3 weeks. drove straight as an arrow at all times.
also, i test drove a turbo from another dealer before i bought my current turbo sonata and it had absolutely no torque steer. i dont think it is normal.
the suspension parts should counter for the pulling to one side. sorry, have to disagree with you. thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Lol... Disaggree all you like. My 2.4 has it, it's an inherent issue with front wheel drive as the axles are not equal length.

Fwd plus power will equal some degree of torque steer, suspension and tuning will only eliminate so much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when i had my 2.4, it was always straight. my wifes v6 hilander has tons of power and drives straight as an arrow when floored and it is front wheel drive as well.
if you believe its inherent, then they have got you fooled. i see it as a major design flaw and they need to fix it or they are getting the car back.
in california, they get the car back if they cant fix it after 4 trys. lemon law baby. it is a very dangerous pull and i aint puttin up with it.
i have already reported it to the nhtsb and to hyundai. this is a major pull to one side, not just slight. let me know what you think.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I GUARANTEE your 2.4 had it off the line but the traction control kicks in and u don't notice it as much. The 2.4 does not have enough torque to do it from a roll, where as the turbo does. Solution ...hold your steering wheel, your stinger then it lol.

Torque steer in front wheel drive vehicles is mainly due to the offset of the transmission to one side. The drive axles are unequal in length, so one will twist more than the other, resulting in a delay or lag the side with the longer axle. More power (torque, actually) applied more quickly results in more of a problem.

You probably should take your car back if you can't understand that concept.

That said maybe you have something broken and it's not TORQUE STEER but I find that highly unlikely because if u had a broken suspension you hear it and know otherwise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds good. taking it to dealer to check the suspension parts. suspension guy i know said tie rods can be inputed incorrectly sometimes(either by machine or manually) and not really seen by QC guys until road tested. anyway, i will feel better once they visually inspect all the suspension parts.
thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
took it back to dealer, they put it up on the rack. everything looked tight, nothing loose or out of place.
still dont think it is right.
anyway, gonna keep talking to hyundai.

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (scottbla55 @ Nov 6 2010, 02:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369419
took it back to dealer, they put it up on the rack. everything looked tight, nothing loose or out of place.
still dont think it is right.
anyway, gonna keep talking to hyundai.
I owned an Altima 3.5V6 for 3 years, and it had serious torque steer when you launched from a stop.

This Sonata I couldn't get any pull from it, and that's the first thing I noticed. The guys are right about the limits on this engine cause it would pull without them.
Maybe your car doesn't have the Limiters ?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I had a 99 Maxima and it would pull hard to the left if I mash the gas pedal. I will try it on the wife's 07 Elantra. I currently have a AWD 2010 Tucson, so I don't think it will pull.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Most likely this is normal torque steer. Most FWD cars with some "power" and TORQUE will exhibit this issue. I had a Chrysler 300M that would make a left turn if I stomped it unless I held the wheel tight! :p

The reason you don't feel this on the 2.4 is due to the lower power.

Just hold on tight and enjoy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
test drove another car at the dealer. they wanted me to see if another car would do the same thing. when i floored it from a standstill, it started to burn rubber and took off straight as an arrow.
pretty much did not exhibit the same traits. also, I tested the nav in their latest turbo limited and it could find my home address(even address). my car wont find even addresses. mapnsoft says it is a glitch and they have a new map version. dealer said they would put it in. mapnsoft says it should be out shortly.
anyway, dealer manager is going to speak to hyundai monday. still have an open case number. lets see what they do.
funny thing, i went to a big parking lot called irvine ampitheatre. stays empty most of the year. they let people in to practice stuff with your bikes and cars. some guys give classes.
did like 10 starts from stops and punched it and the car just took off like a bat out of **** and started to burn rubber but stayed straight! i tried like crazy to get it to pull but would not.
after leaving and getting back on regular road, car would pull just like before but not as bad. go figure.
anyway, if anyone seems to be getting the same symptons, let me know.

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (scottbla55 @ Nov 7 2010, 02:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369619
test drove another car at the dealer. they wanted me to see if another car would do the same thing. when i floored it from a standstill, it started to burn rubber and took off straight as an arrow.
pretty much did not exhibit the same traits. also, I tested the nav in their latest turbo limited and it could find my home address(even address). my car wont find even addresses. mapnsoft says it is a glitch and they have a new map version. dealer said they would put it in. mapnsoft says it should be out shortly.
anyway, dealer manager is going to speak to hyundai monday. still have an open case number. lets see what they do.
funny thing, i went to a big parking lot called irvine ampitheatre. stays empty most of the year. they let people in to practice stuff with your bikes and cars. some guys give classes.
did like 10 starts from stops and punched it and the car just took off like a bat out of **** and started to burn rubber but stayed straight! i tried like crazy to get it to pull but would not.
after leaving and getting back on regular road, car would pull just like before but not as bad. go figure.
anyway, if anyone seems to be getting the same symptons, let me know.
Told ya, I felt almost zero torque steer.
Note to self-- NEVER buy the dealer demo/test drive car with 1000 miles on it, even if it's discounted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
plasma george, i went to the open parking lot with my car. the dealer GM did drive mine and it did exhibit the left pull. but when i took it to irvine parking lot on my own, it would not exhibit the pulling. apparently, it does not do it all time. i am going to mess with the tire pressure and see what that does.
took it on ortega highway this morning. passed cars with eash. way easier than the non turbo and handled pretty much the same as the SE non turbo that i had. almost a bit better cause it was a tad softer.
harder suspension is not always better. what is key is how the shocks rebound. anyway, i am still very pleased at how well the car performs. i am convinced that there is no other car on the market for the money that will look better,perform better,be as comfortable,etc.,etc. as well as the sonata limited 2.0 turbo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Told ya, I felt almost zero torque steer.
Note to self-- NEVER buy the dealer demo/test drive car with 1000 miles on it, even if it's discounted.
[mine had 14 miles on it. basically my test drive and the mechanics.]

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a new 2011 Tiurbo and Minepulls slightly to the left but its not torque steer. Its like its not aligned right or something.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Test drove the 2.0T this evening and noted a constant pulling to the left under normal driving conditions, felt like it was out of alignment, vehicle only had 10 miles on odometer. Mentioned to dealer they said they would have service dept look at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Hyundai i30 CRDI pulls to the left - has done pretty much since I got it. Steering has been quite strange. Got worse since someone hit my car in January and the dealer replaced the steering rack. Despite several complaints and correction of the tracking multiple times by the dealer, following the clutch being replaced after the slave cylinder exploded, under vehicle banging started. No idea if the two are related. However the banging got a lot worse recently and despite sending it back to the dealer who could find no fault, the steering continued to behave strangely, and within a week started veering quite hard to the left, or even right, with the car having a sort of rolling motion from side to side. Anyhow, the steering got so bad in pulling to the left that the car hit the curb, and even though at low speed, resulted in an accident. I'm really concerned about it obviously as the situation has got serious, putting my safety at risk. Has anyone got to the bottom of this - what have Hyundai been saying? There seem to be too many cases for it to be coincidence.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Hyundai i30 CRDI pulls to the left - has done pretty much since I got it. Steering has been quite strange. Got worse since someone hit my car in January and the dealer replaced the steering rack. Despite several complaints and correction of the tracking multiple times by the dealer, following the clutch being replaced after the slave cylinder exploded, under vehicle banging started. No idea if the two are related. However the banging got a lot worse recently and despite sending it back to the dealer who could find no fault, the steering continued to behave strangely, and within a week started veering quite hard to the left, or even right, with the car having a sort of rolling motion from side to side. Anyhow, the steering got so bad in pulling to the left that the car hit the curb, and even though at low speed, resulted in an accident. I'm really concerned about it obviously as the situation has got serious, putting my safety at risk. Has anyone got to the bottom of this - what have Hyundai been saying? There seem to be too many cases for it to be coincidence.

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (Comrad @ Nov 8 2010, 04:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369996
I have a new 2011 Tiurbo and Minepulls slightly to the left but its not torque steer. Its like its not aligned right or something.
Update - Went back to the dealer this evening, they confirmed while prepping the vehicle they put to much air in the driver's side front tire causing the car to pull to the left. They claimed it had 65lbs in the one tire, others were at 32lbs.

Took back car to dealer, Tech verified the alignment was out, they realigned, however, the car is still pulling to the left. This is a safety issue, when a vehicle will change lanes by itself...

1 - 20 of 1504 Posts