Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new, but having a hard time tracking down a good answer. My wife has a 2015 Accent with about 106k miles, and we are moving from Hawaii to Arizona. The car will be shipped to San Diego, and then I will take it to Arizona, about 500 miles.

I know Accents are not recommended as a tow vehicle, but hear me out.

I will also be bringing my 2005 Honda Rebel 250. I'd like to haul it behind the Accent using a front wheel tow dolly, meaning the rear wheel would be on the ground and rolling. The bike weighs 320lbs from the factory but has been really trimmed down so I assume about 150lbs on the tongue with just the front wheel up. I can lift the front end of the bike by myself, so I know its not very heavy.

The hitch I am looking at is rated for 200 lbs on the tongue.
It will be me alone in the car (180lbs), but I will probably also have around 500 lbs of stuff in it. From what I can find these are good for about 1000lbs.
For a one-time all freeway shot at a conservative speed for 500 miles, am I going to kill my wifes car by trying to do this? Should I spring the extra $1200 to get a Uhaul box truck to hold the bike and boxes and get a car dolly to tow the car?

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
665 Posts
Hey, I'm new, but having a hard time tracking down a good answer. My wife has a 2015 Accent with about 106k miles, and we are moving from Hawaii to Arizona. The car will be shipped to San Diego, and then I will take it to Arizona, about 500 miles.

I know Accents are not recommended as a tow vehicle, but hear me out.

I will also be bringing my 2005 Honda Rebel 250. I'd like to haul it behind the Accent using a front wheel tow dolly, meaning the rear wheel would be on the ground and rolling. The bike weighs 320lbs from the factory but has been really trimmed down so I assume about 150lbs on the tongue with just the front wheel up. I can lift the front end of the bike by myself, so I know its not very heavy. View attachment 454887
The hitch I am looking at is rated for 200 lbs on the tongue.
It will be me alone in the car (180lbs), but I will probably also have around 500 lbs of stuff in it. From what I can find these are good for about 1000lbs.
For a one-time all freeway shot at a conservative speed for 500 miles, am I going to kill my wifes car by trying to do this? Should I spring the extra $1200 to get a Uhaul box truck to hold the bike and boxes and get a car dolly to tow the car?
I'm in the same boat as you and yeah the class1 tow hitches can only have 200 pounds on the tongue. 🤷🏼‍♂️
What confuses me the most is that rating is supposed to haul up to 2,000 pounds so welcome to the confusion.

I've got a bike too that I want to haul to the track for track days but it weighs about 480 pounds wet.
I have done days and weeks of research for towing a bike in a class1 hitch but no solid answers.

In your situation wanting to haul on a one wheel hitch I'd say it's doable but only if you do the following which is what I'm going to be doing with my Accent.
Get the Curt brand hitch #112503-56149 if you have the sedan. They're $195 for the complete kit.
When you install the kit don't use their hardware but mount the hitch with a through the frame bolt setup using a steel plate on the top side to reinforce and distribute the weight of the load better than using those pull through nut bolt setup they give you to mount from the inside of the frame.

Use grade 8 nuts and bolts that any Ace hardware or Lowe's will sell and I believe it's doable.
Do the same on the muffler section where the hitch is mounted.
I plan on doing this soon with mine and eventually spend the money on a single bike trailer so I can do track days with the bike and have a way of hauling the bike.

I do t know if this will help you with your bike but being that the Rebel weighs less than my bike it should work.
Good luck and let me know how things go with it. 🙏🏽👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the same boat as you and yeah the class1 tow hitches can only have 200 pounds on the tongue. 🤷🏼‍♂️
What confuses me the most is that rating is supposed to haul up to 2,000 pounds so welcome to the confusion.

I've got a bike too that I want to haul to the track for track days but it weighs about 480 pounds wet.
I have done days and weeks of research for towing a bike in a class1 hitch but no solid answers.

In your situation wanting to haul on a one wheel hitch I'd say it's doable but only if you do the following which is what I'm going to be doing with my Accent.
Get the Curt brand hitch #112503-56149 if you have the sedan. They're $195 for the complete kit.
When you install the kit don't use their hardware but mount the hitch with a through the frame bolt setup using a steel plate on the top side to reinforce and distribute the weight of the load better than using those pull through nut bolt setup they give you to mount from the inside of the frame.

Use grade 8 nuts and bolts that any Ace hardware or Lowe's will sell and I believe it's doable.
Do the same on the muffler section where the hitch is mounted.
I plan on doing this soon with mine and eventually spend the money on a single bike trailer so I can do track days with the bike and have a way of hauling the bike.

I do t know if this will help you with your bike but being that the Rebel weighs less than my bike it should work.
Good luck and let me know how things go with it. 🙏🏽👍
Thanks for your input. Great advice on hitch mounting, too. In reading about these hitch carriers it sounds like strap points can be an issue as well, another puzzle to solve. These carriers have very mixed reviews, some people saying the bikes lay down on the first sign of a curve, others saying they worked beautifully for hundreds of miles. The width of the handlebar strap points seem to be the defining difference as far as I can tell... Now I'm mainly trying to figure out if this little Hyundai can hoof the weight of the bike plus freight.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
The recommended ball weight is 5-10% of the all up trailer but that looks like quiet a simple light unit I don't see an issue. I suppose you won't know till you try. Just a tip where you mount thru a frame section you should put an anti crush sleeve inside. I know a lot of tow bar fitters don't do it but if not it may end up cracking around the area the bolts go thru.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
665 Posts
Thanks for your input. Great advice on hitch mounting, too. In reading about these hitch carriers it sounds like strap points can be an issue as well, another puzzle to solve. These carriers have very mixed reviews, some people saying the bikes lay down on the first sign of a curve, others saying they worked beautifully for hundreds of miles. The width of the handlebar strap points seem to be the defining difference as far as I can tell... Now I'm mainly trying to figure out if this little Hyundai can hoof the weight of the bike plus freight.
I don't thing you'll have to worry about the actual weight being towed.
When I was coaching basketball 3 years ago I picked up 4 of the team members for practice for several months before our tournament in October.
The car hauled all of us in the car with the weight being about 750 pounds between all of us with no problems. I'm a manual tranny btw.

Have you thought about using the fork tubes as a way to strap down the front of the bike like they do when strapping in vans and open trailers?
They're a stronger strapping point than the handle bars and less susceptible to the turning of the front wheel

The recommended ball weight is 5-10% of the all up trailer but that looks like quiet a simple light unit I don't see an issue. I suppose you won't know till you try. Just a tip where you mount thru a frame section you should put an anti crush sleeve inside. I know a lot of tow bar fitters don't do it but if not it may end up cracking around the area the bolts go thru.
I have an idea of what you're referring to but with the top plate and tow hitch sandwiching the actual frame rail of the car would it really matter?
And I'm not understanding how you would get an anti-crush sleeve into the frame rail to prevent crushing. 🤔
Any references on this anti-crush sleeve you're referring to? I can kind of picture it but really haven't figured out how it would work.
Thanks for the advice too.
I plan on going through with my setup and for less than $200 for the hitch and it doesn't work then not too big of a loss. 🤷🏼‍♂️😉🤟

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
The best way is to bore a hole big enough to fit the sleeve in from one side then weld it in place. It's a std engineering requirement here when people make up things like engine and gearbox mounts where bolts must go thru frame. I know most tow bar fitters don't do it but if you want a good strong mount it's the best way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts