Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team, we have a 2005 2.7 that has been making some, what I assume to be pulley, noise at idle for a few months. I looked but was unable to determine by visual inspection if one of the pulleys was having an issue. A couple of days ago the drive belt started smoking. She immediately pulled off, turned off the engine and we had it towed home. The engine will not turn over now. It begins to turn and stops when the belt tightens. I assume we have a frozen pulley preventing the engine from turning under starter power. it may be important to note the A/C did not cool late this season so the compressor could be the culprit. What do you all think is the likely cause given the age of he vehicle, etc.? Am I possibly looking at a water pump/timing belt replacement? If I remove the drive belt and the engine turns then an exterior pulley? Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance with how to proceed.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
The AC clutch bearing more than likely. Mine was making quite a bit of noise on my Accent before the clutch coil went out. I changed the whole compressor and pulley. But the bearing was a simple roller bearing and a shot of lube freed it right up.

But you have to get it from the back side of the actual pulley, between the compressor and pulley. I would try to spray it liberally with some lube on the back side. Being careful to not get it on belt.

If you have a separate belt for the AC just cut it off.

·
Registered
882 Posts
find a plastic container, cut off the buttom, then insert a long screwdriver. Then use screwdriver head to stick up on each pulley. The bad pulley will make a different louder noise

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is the A/C compressor pulley. Seized. Hard to swap the compressor? Any recommendations for manufacturer other than Hyundai?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
It is the A/C compressor pulley. Seized. Hard to swap the compressor? Any recommendations for manufacturer other than Hyundai?
I did my compressor 2 years ago on my 2003 2.7. wasn't all that hard. Four bolts and then you have to take off the two high pressure hoses. I think I paid right around $160 for an aftermarket new compressor that has worked fine since I replaced it. You will have to pull a vacuum on the new compressor and then fill it with Freon after your done. Will cost a little over $100 to have someone do that if you don't have the right equipment.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
We keep a Re-Man Hyundai part on shelf most of time at our place,, want to say $330 ?? maybe.. check dealer for price and availability.. add (2) o-ring at tube to compressor port (DO NOT USE OLD RINGS !!) We have the OE rings in stock also

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
I got a kit off Amazon last spring that had the compressor, pressure valve, oil , filter sock and o rings for under $300. Then some cheap Freon from Walmart and a couple cans of condenser flush from AutoZone..

Then you need a set of gauges and a vacuum pump. Harbor Freight gauges and ebay for the pump.

Had to get a new OEM condenser sock plug as it's plastic and did not survive removal.

If I were to do it again i would get a new condenser.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update - I have everything apart. Found an A/C compressor kit on ebay for $270, compressor, condenser, expansion valve, comp oil and o-rings. Received it yesterday so ready to reassemble everything. Kit components look good. Will post results when done. Thanks for everyone's input. Muchly appreciated, A/C noob.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything is back together and working fine. I bought a manifold set and refrigerant and charged it myself. That was a learning experience. Biggest issue I had was getting it to take up all the compressor oil. Must be a trick to that. Maybe I did not pull a sufficient vacuum.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
When I did mine I called them and asked how I would know the correct amount of oil was added? They told me to drain the new compressor and measure what you got out, then adjust for what Hyundai called for and add that all back into the compressor before installing.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
When I did mine I called them and asked how I would know the correct amount of oil was added? They told me to drain the new compressor and measure what you got out, then adjust for what Hyundai called for and add that all back into the compressor before installing.
I had the same dilemma on what and how much oil to put back in. My new compressor came empty, they sent a bottle with the kit.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The yellow sticker on top of the radiator support has the correct amount of oil to add for the entire system. The only way to be accurate is by flushing the entire system to remove old oil and adding correct amount to the compressor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
The yellow sticker on top of the radiator support has the correct amount of oil to add for the entire system. The only way to be accurate is by flushing the entire system to remove old oil and adding correct amount to the compressor.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is what I did when I got the Amazon kit. I called the kit provider and they said empty the compressor oil and then refill with correct amount. I then flushed the lines, evap and condenser with some canned AC flush from AutoZone. I even poured some denatured ethanol through the condenser then blew out with compressed air. The evap core is easy enough to flush but I don't think I did a good job on the condenser.

If I ever did it again I would just get a new condenser. Plus I had to order a new condenser sock plug from Hyundai as it was rather distorted after removing. I had to use a long needle nose pliers to grip it as the plastic plug has an allen hex molded into it just strips. I would assume a new condenser comes with the filter sock, screen and plug.. The Hyundai plug comes with a fine screen filter.

The Hyundai oil spec was different that what I dumped out of the compressor, a little more IIRC.

And when looking at the decal under the hood always confirm the conversion quantities if you aren't using the ISO weights and measures, my Gen Coupe has an error on the conversions to ounces

1 - 14 of 14 Posts