Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
QUOTE (Black Lion 3 @ May 28 2010, 07:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327247
So...theoretically speaking...how much does a new proximity key cost?
Heh heh, funny you should ask, Lion. Within four days of ownership I lost one of my fobs...a couple days later, I found the second fob laying on the floor of my home. Seems I am too easily releasing them via that little push button in ordinary handling.

I e-mailed my service manager (suburban Chicago) and here is his response:

"I am driving the same car and the same thing happened to me. The key was on my ring and I found the remote on the floor. The remote without the key runs about $200.00, and to program it to car runs about $100.00. I also need the other remote at the same time to program."

Gulp.

I now have my only remaining fob taped so it can't accidentaly release.

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE (Klooks Kleek @ May 28 2010, 08:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327248
Heh heh, funny you should ask, Lion. Within four days of ownership I lost one of my fobs...a couple days later, I found the second fob laying on the floor of my home. Seems I am too easily releasing them via that little push button in ordinary handling.

I e-mailed my service manager (suburban Chicago) and here is his response:

"I am driving the same car and the same thing happened to me. The key was on my ring and I found the remote on the floor. The remote without the key runs about $200.00, and to program it to car runs about $100.00. I also need the other remote at the same time to program."

Gulp.

Now THAT is some good information to know! Maybe the tape looks a little tacky but hey we are talking $300 here.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I don't even keep my FOB on the key ring. It just stays in my pocket all the time. Since the only time it comes out of my pocket is when I change pants I don't think I'll ever lose it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
QUOTE (jdubs @ May 28 2010, 09:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327277
Now THAT is some good information to know! Maybe the tape looks a little tacky but hey we are talking $300 here.
Not bad, really. I used a piece of narrow transparent tape (Scotch tape). I started it under the silver key ring at the top of the unit and ran it down the back of the unit about an inch. It stops just above the Hyundai logo. That little bit is all that's needed to keep the pieces together. No further problems.

After almost four weeks, the tape is just starting to wear a bit. Easy to re-do. Maybe I'll use a bit of black electrical tape next time for mor durability.

I don't think I've had to use a valet key on any car I've owned more than a handful of times in many, many years, so I'm not worrying about separating the pieces. And it's not like it's glue or anything!

Besides the horn, that's my only complaint in almost 1,500 miles, and I've scoured these threads. I thought FOR SURE I'd be reading lots of stories about the key peices separating in ordinary handling, but not so. I guess I'm just a clumsy oaf!

·
Registered
25 Posts
QUOTE (Klooks Kleek @ May 28 2010, 08:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327248
Seems I am too easily releasing them via that little push button in ordinary handling.

I'm a little confused, Is the fob just the metal key that comes out of the remote entry thingy or is the fob the entire thing?

I had always thought the fob was the entire pkg, remote and metal key. I'm probably just reading this wrong.

Thanks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
QUOTE (Modernity @ May 28 2010, 11:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327335
I'm a little confused, Is the fob just the metal key that comes out of the remote entry thingy or is the fob the entire thing?

I had always thought the fob was the entire pkg, remote and metal key. I'm probably just reading this wrong.

Thanks.

Meaning, the outer shell that detaches from the key part when you press the little release button.

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Replacement Fob

If your fob dies then there is no need to purchase a new one for 200 dollars. All you need to do is just replace the battery inside. Pull out the "key" portion and pry the fob open. Inside you will find a watch battery. just replace the battery and you are all set.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts