Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I'm a proud owner of a 2018 Elantra GT Sport with tech package and had the pleasure of driving it for few weeks now. I don't usually post about new vehicles in a forum like this, but I felt compelled to share my experience, due to how impressed I am with the vehicle so far.

I dragged my beat-up 2011 Hyundai Accent into the dealership to get more crap fixed, and was recommended by the dealership to check out few vehicles while waiting. I ended up test driving the 2017 Elantra Sport, which I liked, but when they brought up a 2018 Elantra GT Sport with tech package, I was immediately hooked by it. The interior with red accent, the display, ridiculously huge sunroof caught my eye, and the performance was simply outstanding. Few hours later, I was driving out the dealership with it.

To begin, the amount of features available were stunning. The Lane Assist worked fantastic, especially after setting it to 'Active Mode', and combined with the Adaptive Cruise Control, it really gave me a taste of what a fully automated car might feel like during an 8 hour trip to the Big Bend National Park. However, the real joy came from actually driving the vehicle, I simply loved the acceleration and smoothness of it. Even though all my previous vehicles were manual transmission, DCT did an amazing job moving through the gears, way faster/smoother than I could shift honestly. Combined with the Infinity sound system, blue link app that allows me to remote lock/unlock/start the vehicle, blind-spot detection radar, wireless charging, Apple CarPlay, great built-in navigation, and auto high-beam feature, I truly haven't enjoy a vehicle like this in my lifetime. Considering everything came out to 25K, I simply cannot be any happier with the purchase.

I've purchase a 3" intake, axle-back exhaust, and big bore throttle body from SB to add to it, and plan to really enjoy my time with this vehicle for years to come. I've always been loyal to Hyundai due to their warranty and how they've took care of my Accent in the past, but this vehicle made it a no-brainer for me over the competitors. If anyone is on the fence over different hatchback in the price range, I'd highly recommend looking twice at this vehicle before making your decision.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Couldn't agree more! Amazing amount of tech for the price. I'm very happy with it. The grille and headlights look fantastic. You can really tell that it has a European designer behind it.

I just test drove a BMW, and Audi, a Volvo, and a Mazda, and while the German cars and the Volvo were all faster and had premium interiors, I couldn't justify the additional cost. The GT has as much cargo capacity as the Q5 does, and almost all the tech - save the digital cockpit, HUD, and surround camera - and at about 1/3 the price.

It feels like it's punching way above its class. Makes me feel like we've somehow found a super-premium loophole and the "Goldilocks" car of the year.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where or what is SB that you're getting all of your parts from, Mizerab1e? Congrats!
Hey Ray, thank you very much! I'm referring to Shark Racing, I was worried there might not be many aftermarket parts of this vehicle, but came across their website to find many different parts for it.

Hyundai Elantra - Elantra GT 2018+ - Performance - Shark Racing

All the parts should arrive by next Tuesday/Wednesday, and will have it all installed by end of the week. I'll definitely post some pictures and report back for you guys.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Pics added.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congratulations, on your ride. Thanks for posting Shark Racing, already ordered some, interior accessories. Still thinking about modding car,(lightly), not like old muscle cars, with no electronics. Been watching your progress on your car, keep us posted.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reactions: agrwuj

·
Registered
20 Posts
Really dig your ride, and all the mods you've done it. I've recently picked up a GTS Sport 6MT, and you've really inspired me!

Any videos of the sounds your ride makes now?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Really dig your ride, and all the mods you've done it. I've recently picked up a GTS Sport 6MT, and you've really inspired me!

Any videos of the sounds your ride makes now?
Oh man, I apologize for missing your post. Thanks for your kind words and super excited to have you join us, you are one of few who stuck with 6MT! I was completely torn over DCT and 6MT at first and sometimes wish I stayed with manual transmission, I hear nothing but good things about it.

EDIT: Forgot about sound. I'm glad you brought it up because it is long overdue for an updated sound clip, I'll record one tonight and share it here.

Reactions: agrwuj

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went downstairs to record a clip, and noticed something interesting. Apparently, I can no long rev the vehicle past 3K RPM while on park which wasn't the case previously. I'm certain it has something to do with the tuning, but thought it was an interesting touch.

I'll have wife ride along and record the sound tomorrow. In the meantime, here is a pre-tune sound clip with all the modifications installed.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q2REbZHNeAvpRaNSjeSfs29GEsfjuju8

Reactions: crunchypoofs

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
Nice. Doesn't sound like a f:eek:rt horn!

·
Registered
33 Posts
possible buyer.

Hi all , been researching for a couple weeks now and narrowed it to a Golf , 2019 Jetta Excecline and Elantra GT Sport. all are loaded .Jetta has 147 horse which means it's most likely out and waiting for VW dealer to give me his offer on those 2.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hi all , been researching for a couple weeks now and narrowed it to a Golf , 2019 Jetta Excecline and Elantra GT Sport. all are loaded .Jetta has 147 horse which means it's most likely out and waiting for VW dealer to give me his offer on those 2.
Why are you obsessed with HP all the time?????
I went over Alps with 45HP car few times and was laughing at all those Opels, Renaults, etc. sitting with opened hoods on shoulder.
HP has NOTHING to do with how you chose your car. It is the same as you marry dumb women with big boobs and great ass.

I did consider Jetta 2019 too; it has nice space-ship dashboard and it is better on gas than GT Sport. I have to see it in real life but still GT Ultimate is my first choice. Difference of 1-3 liters/100Km will not brake my wallet but I would miss all other features.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So i have never join a forum before so this is my first time joining a forum. I was just wanted to share my thoughts on this Elantra GT. I've always been a Corolla and Civic fan but since my wife had her 2016 Elantra, i feel in love with them, i am now a Hyundai fan.So i bought a hatchback for me since she loves the sedan version and hates a hatch. And we both like the 6 speed manual, it makes the drive more enjoyable, i traded my 2013 Sonata for this GT. My wife is jealous and now wants the sport sedan version.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's been a while since anyone replied here, so I'm not sure if this is "live" anymore. For almost exactly 5 years I drove a Molten Red 2013 Kia Soul. That was after owning a 2003 Mustang for ten years. I have low back pain and the angle of the Mustang's seat was killing me...the Soul was awesome! ...until mid-summer this year. Check engine light came on and No power to the forward motion. Had it towed to the dealer assuming the transmission or sensor was bad. They replaced the Throttle Body and that was around $700! Eight days later, the car did the same thing...had it towed again...oh, they had to adjust the throttle body...then a week later it "died" again right in front of a auto parts store and the ODB2 said the sensor in the pedal was bad...that was about $200. Went for 10 days and the original problem returned. The service mgr said the car worked fine for them, I must have odd driving habits. That ticked me off! After it died ONE more time and I almost got rear-ended...I had to get something else. (After I called KIA and wrote the owner of the dealership) I was roaming the car dealers....Ford, Toyota, Chevy, Mazda, VW and Hyundai. I saw the COLOR and like a magnet I was drawn to this car. Had no idea what it was. HYUNDAI? Never saw one like this before. GT? Nice wheels! Love that front end! I went the next day test drove that 2018 Elantra GT in Electric Blue Metallic...bare bones Base, but it still had a lot of great features. Love that SPORT mode! It handled great...as fun or maybe more fun to drive than my Mustang. I went back later that night and the car was where I parked it. The sales guy said "I knew you would be back". The Mazda has history, but this felt roomier. I am happy...even if I DID want a truck!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
It's been a while since anyone replied here, so I'm not sure if this is "live" anymore. For almost exactly 5 years I drove a Molten Red 2013 Kia Soul. That was after owning a 2003 Mustang for ten years. I have low back pain and the angle of the Mustang's seat was killing me...the Soul was awesome! ...until mid-summer this year. Check engine light came on and No power to the forward motion. Had it towed to the dealer assuming the transmission or sensor was bad. They replaced the Throttle Body and that was around $700! Eight days later, the car did the same thing...had it towed again...oh, they had to adjust the throttle body...then a week later it "died" again right in front of a auto parts store and the ODB2 said the sensor in the pedal was bad...that was about $200. Went for 10 days and the original problem returned. The service mgr said the car worked fine for them, I must have odd driving habits. That ticked me off! After it died ONE more time and I almost got rear-ended...I had to get something else. (After I called KIA and wrote the owner of the dealership) I was roaming the car dealers....Ford, Toyota, Chevy, Mazda, VW and Hyundai. I saw the COLOR and like a magnet I was drawn to this car. Had no idea what it was. HYUNDAI? Never saw one like this before. GT? Nice wheels! Love that front end! I went the next day test drove that 2018 Elantra GT in Electric Blue Metallic...bare bones Base, but it still had a lot of great features. Love that SPORT mode! It handled great...as fun or maybe more fun to drive than my Mustang. I went back later that night and the car was where I parked it. The sales guy said "I knew you would be back". The Mazda has history, but this felt roomier. I am happy...even if I DID want a truck!

Nice colour. They had one like this in my local dealer's showroom and they had to mop up the drool every time I had my oil changed. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts