Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 8 long years and many good times with my 2005 Elantra, I traded her in on a brand new 2013 Limited. I'll try to post some pics this weekend, waiting on a good sunny day (which have been RARE in Georgia this summer) to take some pics of my new prize.

I paid $20,500 including taxes and fees (with my trade in). My 05 had just over 134K on it, and was in good (not great) shape but still ran well.

After test driving a new 2012 Elantra, I knew I wanted one, and the timing was right (as was my savings, I've been banking some money away for a year for this plunge).

I LOVE the car, it is a HUGE improvement in ride comfort, and fuel economy seems a tad better, and it is much quieter inside. Of course my new Limited has the Navigation system. I have spent most of today learning the system and setting it up. I will say one thing, the Bluetooth phone audio is SUPERB for phone calls (paired with my T-Mobile Iphone). People I call CANNOT tell I am in the car and they sound clear as day. On my 05, I installed a Kenwood HD Radio with built-in BT and it was horrible, callers always complained that background audio was loud and it had horrible AGC that would have a "pumping" effect.

One thing I do NOT like (and this the ONLY) complaint about this car is the idiotic reminder when using the NAV/Audio system in ACC mode- after about 5 minutes, a warning message flashes telling you that you are running off your battery, and an annoying "chirp" plays through the audio of whatever source you are listening to.

Here's why that is a problem for me. We actually have a NICE drive in movie theater here in Atlanta, the Starlite Drive In (formerly Starlite Six). They have all digital projectors and it's like watching a first run movie on a huge outdoor LCD TV. The sound of course is transmitted over a part 15 FM stereo transmitter (and they have beefed up the audio processing too).

Starlight Drive-In

It's really distracting to have to see that message and hear the beep superimposed over the soudtrack of a movie. Yes, I know you can always start the engine, but it is not only wasting fuel and polluting needlessly (and rude to your drive-in neighbors) but is long idling NOT a good idea for any car engine?

My dealer says there is no way to turn it off, it is part of the firmware of the NAV system. I asked what the current drain on this system is, it can't be THAT HIGH as to require an "idiot" message after only 5 minutes of playing- he said he didn't know but said the non-NAV radios also have this feature. On my 05 I could sit for hours with the Kenwood playing and it would not affect the battery voltage at all, it was fused at 15A, I can't image this nav system being that much of a current hog, especially if playing at a low to moderate volume.

Anyone know of any way to disable this through some kind of jumper setting on the radio or hidden setup menu? Overall the system is pretty nice, BT streaming works very well.

The car is a gem, and I plan on keeping it for at least 8-10 years.
It certainly is eye catching- and a serious upgrade to my 05.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase! I'm also a new owner - although I went for a slightly "experienced 2011 model. When I decided I needed a car (vice a gas hog pickup) for when I changed jobs and lost the use of a company vehicle, I looked no further than another Hyundai.

FYI, this forum focuses on the Elantra GT, a much different hatchback version of the Elantra and is a brand new vehicle beginning in 2013. It replaced the retired "Elantra Touring" model.
If you make your posts in the MD (2011-) Elantra forum, which are the sedan and coupe owners, you'll fit right in there.

Have fun & congrats!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! I love my 13 Limited as well. I stream music over the bluetooth and it sounds very good. Thanks also to the upgraded stereo system in the Limited.

Is there a setting in displays settings to actually turn off the screen? I can check when I go out in my car later as well. I know you can adjust the brightness and select daytime/nighttime screen, but not sure if you can actually turn it off.

·
22,788 Posts
Welcome! Owning a new 2013 E, for me, is like going on a date with the prom queen.

·
Registered
93 Posts
One thing I do NOT like (and this the ONLY) complaint about this car is the idiotic reminder when using the NAV/Audio system in ACC mode- after about 5 minutes, a warning message flashes telling you that you are running off your battery, and an annoying "chirp" plays through the audio of whatever source you are listening to.

You can always start the engine, but it is not only wasting fuel and polluting needlessly (and rude to your drive-in neighbors) but is long idling NOT a good idea for any car engine?

My dealer says there is no way to turn it off, it is part of the firmware of the NAV system. I asked what the current drain on this system is, it can't be THAT HIGH as to require an "idiot" message after only 5 minutes of playing- he said he didn't know but said the non-NAV radios also have this feature.

Anyone know of any way to disable this through some kind of jumper setting on the radio or hidden setup menu? Overall the system is pretty nice, BT streaming works very well.
While I was doing some random reading here in the forum, I stumbled across someone else's post regarding the same thing.

Flying Turtle in the GT forum said:

"The first message occurs at the ten minute mark, then ever minute thereafter. So, after that first one just quickly shut everything down, then back up, and you get another ten unmolested minutes. Still there, but a lot more livable."
Not the answer you're looking for...but it's something that may help.

·
Registered
187 Posts
After 8 long years and many good times with my 2005 Elantra, I traded her in on a brand new 2013 Limited. I'll try to post some pics this weekend, waiting on a good sunny day (which have been RARE in Georgia this summer) to take some pics of my new prize.

I paid $20,500 including taxes and fees (with my trade in). My 05 had just over 134K on it, and was in good (not great) shape but still ran well.

After test driving a new 2012 Elantra, I knew I wanted one, and the timing was right (as was my savings, I've been banking some money away for a year for this plunge).

I LOVE the car, it is a HUGE improvement in ride comfort, and fuel economy seems a tad better, and it is much quieter inside. Of course my new Limited has the Navigation system. I have spent most of today learning the system and setting it up. I will say one thing, the Bluetooth phone audio is SUPERB for phone calls (paired with my T-Mobile Iphone). People I call CANNOT tell I am in the car and they sound clear as day. On my 05, I installed a Kenwood HD Radio with built-in BT and it was horrible, callers always complained that background audio was loud and it had horrible AGC that would have a "pumping" effect.

Here's why that is a problem for me. We actually have a NICE drive in movie theater here in Atlanta, the Starlite Drive In (formerly Starlite Six). They have all digital projectors and it's like watching a first run movie on a huge outdoor LCD TV. The sound of course is transmitted over a part 15 FM stereo transmitter (and they have beefed up the audio processing too).
Glad your Limited is quiet

Starlight Drive-In

It's really distracting to have to see that message and hear the beep superimposed over the soudtrack of a movie. Yes, I know you can always start the engine, but it is not only wasting fuel and polluting needlessly (and rude to your drive-in neighbors) but is long idling NOT a good idea for any car engine?

My dealer says there is no way to turn it off, it is part of the firmware of the NAV system. I asked what the current drain on this system is, it can't be THAT HIGH as to require an "idiot" message after only 5 minutes of playing- he said he didn't know but said the non-NAV radios also have this feature. On my 05 I could sit for hours with the Kenwood playing and it would not affect the battery voltage at all, it was fused at 15A, I can't image this nav system being that much of a current hog, especially if playing at a low to moderate volume.

The car is a gem, and I plan on keeping it for at least 8-10 years.
It certainly is eye catching- and a serious upgrade to my 05.
Glad to hear your Limited is quieter inside. Wish mine was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts