Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the dealership a few hours ago from getting a Silver Limited w/ Nav system. The Nav system works a lot better than I thought I would, but I'm really impressed with the other upgrades when adding Nav to the Limited. There were a few dealerships in Tampa that said they only had one Sonata on the lot, but the one I finally went to today had just received 6 truckloads over the weekend, and they had just about every color for each model and some with NAV and some without.

Thanks to all those on the forum for their excellent posts. It makes it easier to do research on "true" reviews of vehicles when it comes from actual drivers.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Good for you, tampajoe -

If I see you on I75 I'll flash my lights at you.

:beer:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Congrats.. Courtesy and Wesley Chapel have both good service departments so your in luck.
Some other owners aren't as lucky...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Enjoy, had mine for a couple of months now, 2500 miles on the clock, averaging 29.7 mpg (real) not computer calculated, and I truely love the car.
I have the sun glasses holder issue but that is minor.

It is indeed a true value in the automotive world.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Got mine at Wesley Chapel Hyundai. There service dept is pretty good, they replaced my steering wheel under warranty since it was scratched after I took delivery. My sales rep Chris was awesome too. Congrats on your new car.

·
Registered
623 Posts
:00000732:

and congrats on your new Sonata!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (morenar @ Aug 29 2010, 09:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352873
Got mine at Wesley Chapel Hyundai. There service dept is pretty good, they replaced my steering wheel under warranty since it was scratched after I took delivery. My sales rep Chris was awesome too. Congrats on your new car.

Did you get your windows tinted? I bought mine on a Sunday so the Service Dept was closed, but my sales guy told me they had a special of $199 on new cars to get them tinted, and if I did it there they warranty the tint job. I'm thinking of doing that, mainly because of this Florida heat, but this car definitely does not heat up during the day as fast as my black Camry did!

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (tampajoe @ Aug 31 2010, 09:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353241
Did you get your windows tinted? I bought mine on a Sunday so the Service Dept was closed, but my sales guy told me they had a special of $199 on new cars to get them tinted, and if I did it there they warranty the tint job. I'm thinking of doing that, mainly because of this Florida heat, but this car definitely does not heat up during the day as fast as my black Camry did!
Welcome! Another floridian!

I'd shop around $199 is a bit steep. I paid $150 15% all around including the whole front windshield, lifetime guarantee of course, Llumar film.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (eyecue @ Aug 31 2010, 08:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353245
Welcome! Another floridian!

I'd shop around $199 is a bit steep. I paid $150 15% all around including the whole front windshield, lifetime guarantee of course, Llumar film.
I held off on doing the tint. I need to do more research on it. Have you had any issues with the tint interfering with AM/FM/GPS/XM? I don't know much about tint, but I read that some of them will create this issue. I think when I do it, I will probably just get 35% around the car, not tinting the front windshield (isn't that illegal in FL?)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Hey, Tampajoe -

There are different grades of tint.

Some, with a metallic content will cause touble with the radio.

There is tint with a ceramic content that will not cause this problem and, I believe, there is a tint with neither metallic or ceramic that would be OK.

We have something on the Sonata called "Solar Glass" or "Solar Control Glass".

I wear glasses with "transistions" lenses. When I put these glassess on the dashboard in direct sunlight, they don't noticeably dark in a short period like they do when I wear them in direct sunlight, so I would suspect that the "Solar Control" blocks a lot of the UV rays since that is what causes the Transistions lense to darken.

I've contacted Hyundai and asked about the properties of the Solar Control Glass but have not gotten a response yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (JohnWho @ Sep 4 2010, 03:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354296
Hey, Tampajoe -

There are different grades of tint.

Some, with a metallic content will cause touble with the radio.

There is tint with a ceramic content that will not cause this problem and, I believe, there is a tint with neither metallic or ceramic that would be OK.

We have something on the Sonata called "Solar Glass" or "Solar Control Glass".

I wear glasses with "transistions" lenses. When I put these glassess on the dashboard in direct sunlight, they don't noticeably dark in a short period like they do when I wear them in direct sunlight, so I would suspect that the "Solar Control" blocks a lot of the UV rays since that is what causes the Transistions lense to darken.

I've contacted Hyundai and asked about the properties of the Solar Control Glass but have not gotten a response yet.

I heard the term Solar Glass when doing Hyundai research, but didn't really think much of it. I looked at getting Transitions last year to wear in the car and I was told by 3 or 4 people that have them that they do NOT get darker in any of their cars. They all said the same thing, that they darken while walking to the car, and the lighten up again when in the car.

Is yours tinted, John? I can't tell from the avatar pic. If I were going to tint mine, I probably wouldn't go darker than 35 the whole way around. I'd still like to be able to see at night, and I test drove an SE that already tint on it and it was substantially different looking out of the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
817 Posts
QUOTE (tampajoe @ Sep 4 2010, 05:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354315
Is yours tinted, John? I can't tell from the avatar pic.
Not tinted.

I'd really like to know what exactly the "Solar Glass" is. Other than feeling somewhat confident that it provides UV protection, I wonder what other properties it may have?

You are correct - the last car I had had dark tinted windows. As dark as the Florida law allows, if I remember correctly. In my opinion they definitely were a hindrance to night vision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Solar Control Glass

Window glass which has been treated (during manufacture or using a coating) to restrict the amount of sun-generated infrared (and sometimes ultraviolet) radiation passing through the glass.

·
Registered
817 Posts
So, it may restrict both UV and IR, but we don't know how much of either.

·
Registered
722 Posts
QUOTE (tampajoe @ Sep 4 2010, 05:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354315
I heard the term Solar Glass when doing Hyundai research, but didn't really think much of it. I looked at getting Transitions last year to wear in the car and I was told by 3 or 4 people that have them that they do NOT get darker in any of their cars. They all said the same thing, that they darken while walking to the car, and the lighten up again when in the car.
Your statement above is true but they have new lens now...They are called Drivewear. Tinted glasses and they darken IN THE CAR when in bright sun......

I know they work because I bought two pairs... I like them cause I can leave the car and walk into a restaurant and read the menu without putting on a different pair of glasses...

I warn you, they are pricey with a prescription but they are worth every penny IMHO. Plus where I bought mine they came with a one year free replacement of the lens. So if you get them scratched up within a year , just take them back and they will replace the lens for free......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts