Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!!!

I just bought a 1997 Elantra Base model (hence my username) ;) and so far the only real problem it's got is that the rear defroster grid does not work.

Now the little light on the defroster switch comes on when the button is pushed and I can hear a click toward the rear of the car, but the grid does not seem to heat.

Any ideas or similar expierences??

Thanks in advance!!!!

Roger :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
connect a testlight between the 2 terminals at the rear window and switch on the defroster (engine at idle). The test light MUST light.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
If it DOES light, but the glass does not demist at all, then there is a scratch or break in the `element` printed across the width of the window.

Trace the length of the winding `track` from the top terminal down to the bottom, there WILL be a break & Auto Accesory Stores sell a conductive paint which you gently brush on to bridge the gap.

Nick. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip. I'll do that as soon as it stops raining ... IF it ever stops raining!!! :rolleyes:

Another question ... Is there a way to do a self diagnostic to check for error codes? My "check engine" light came on today.

Thanks again!!!

Roger :)
Originally posted by VALKYRIE YB70@Jan 2 2005, 07:27 PM
If it DOES light, but the glass does not demist at all, then there is a scratch or break in the `element` printed across the width of the window.

Trace the length of the winding `track` from the top terminal down to the bottom, there WILL be a break & Auto Accesory Stores sell a conductive paint which you gently brush on to bridge the gap.

Nick. :)
[snapback]4316[/snapback]​

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
the codes have to be retreived with a scanner. I beleive, that "Autozone" does this free of charge. Make sure, that you note this code in your "car service file".

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alrighty then.

Thanks again!!

:)
Originally posted by duke@Jan 3 2005, 01:03 PM
the codes have to be retreived with a scanner. I beleive, that "Autozone" does this free of charge. Make sure, that you note this code in your "car service file".
[snapback]4357[/snapback]​

1 - 6 of 6 Posts