Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Palm pilot (Yes i am dating myself) and pretty much every other touch screen I owe, I have a protective cover to keep the screen from being scratched. Now the screen on the Sonatas navigation screen is a tad too big for the screen protectors that I have. Any suggestions out there?

As far as cleaning goes I will just use a damp chamous

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I use a damp micro-fiber cloth. I think a screen protector may cause more issues than it solves. Just keep your fingernails trimmed! :p

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I got invisible sheild on my Nav screen, same stuff that goes on cell phone. I bought the one meant for laptops and then cut it to size and applied the sameway as you would on a cell phone. Has no effects on functionality or touch capability of the screen. There's enough left over to do my digital camera or any other screens you may have. Not sure how big the ipad screen is but sure it's bigger than the Sonata's Nav screen so it might be cheaper to buy the one for ipad and cut to size. The one I got was for the asus 12" laptop but not a bad deal at $19Can with shipping.

If you don't want to go the route of a screen protector, you should use products designed for LCD TV / computer screens such as Monster Screen Clean. It won't leave streaks and is non conductive so won't damage the circuit board if it gets on it. Never use Windex and don't use water either. There are gaps around the screen and if water gets in it could cause damage or fry the circuit behind the screen. (water conducts electricity, and if the Nav is on and water gets on the circuit, it could fry it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Souks @ May 30 2010, 11:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328008
I got invisible sheild on my Nav screen, same stuff that goes on cell phone. I bought the one meant for laptops and then cut it to size and applied the sameway as you would on a cell phone. Has no effects on functionality or touch capability of the screen. There's enough left over to do my digital camera or any other screens you may have. Not sure how big the ipad screen is but sure it's bigger than the Sonata's Nav screen so it might be cheaper to buy the one for ipad and cut to size. The one I got was for the asus 12" laptop but not a bad deal at $19Can with shipping.

If you don't want to go the route of a screen protector, you should use products designed for LCD TV / computer screens such as Monster Screen Clean. It won't leave streaks and is non conductive so won't damage the circuit board if it gets on it. Never use Windex and don't use water either. There are gaps around the screen and if water gets in it could cause damage or fry the circuit behind the screen. (water conducts electricity, and if the Nav is on and water gets on the circuit, it could fry it.
Thanks Souks. Good to hear that the functionality is not affected by the screen protector. Certainly something that I will investigate further.

·
Registered
328 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ May 30 2010, 10:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328008
Good points, and SO important to never spray the cleaner right on the screen of whatever needs to be cleaned (Sonata screen, laptop/computer screen, camera lens, etc.). Apply it sparingly to the cleaning cloth, then clean the screen.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
To me touch-screen is old technology; that's what my 2004 MDX had (available since '01). And even with specialized produts and sprays never looked clean. In fact, looked like crap when off. Thankfully Acura offered both touch-screen and joystick operation, so decided to use the latter. That was also the reason I passed on nav, but I don't use it either. My Lexus SC430 had it standard, so had no choice, and was touch-screen as well, but at least screen was hidden, and was dedicated for nav, so rarely used it. The M3 has a nice controller that is wonderful once you get the hang of it.

Even though any protective screen will look bad, I bet it's better than a smeared screen, but you'd have to get it since day 1, and make sure dealer doesn't touch your screen either. That's why most luxury cars have controllers nowadays. I'll never buy another touch-screen, but that's just me :grin:.

·
Registered
650 Posts
yeah kinda wished the Sonata had the same set up as the Genesis with the nav nob. Considering there's enough space near the cup holders and arm rest, it would look great in the center. But touch screen will do.

good idea about the ipad cut out. Apple's screen protectors are awesome. I currently own an iPhone 3Gs.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are some comparisons for a screen protector. I think the price one is going to pay is that the glare will be slightly increased due to the fact that the screen protector will be slightly more glossy that the screen on the LCD. But if one would like to keep the car for so many years then precaution is better than cure - especially if you have women folk in the family with pedicured nails.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2008/08/19/sc...hootout-results

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought a touchscreen cleaning kit at pepboys the other day and it works great....its a small microfiber sponge type thing that you can throw in the wash if need be and it also includes a little cloth, and a brush thats a POS. it also comes with a little zip up carrying case that you can stash in the glove box! its worked great for me thus far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.