Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I didn't get one with navigation, mainly because of the price of it. One of our accounts here at work is Garmin, and I can get their latest and greatest portable units for employee cost. i also get map updates when they become available. i didn't see spending the $2100 extra for something that i can get for $100 bucks.

with that being said, i can see where others don't have that possibility, nor do they want the 'headache' of having to mount a portable one and worry about it if you go out someplace.

not sure how hyundai does it, as this is my first, but honda had map updates (dvd) that you had to purchase, around $100 a pop and update. if i were to do that every year, for 5 yrs, i would have nearly $400 bucks in just map updates. i couldn't justify that. and it doesn't look like you can upload custom POI's either. i do think it allows you to use it while the car is in motion (my original test drives were ones with nav), where as mazda and toyota do not.

but, you do get the added security of it being built in. little more in resale, and the back-up camera built in as well.

this is just my own opinion

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you bought the Sonata Limited it comes with sunroof and no nav. I tried several vehicles and wanted factory nav which most were charging between $4000.00 to $4400.00 Canadian. Toyota, Ford, Lincoln, VW, and GM, but Hyundai was charging $2000.00 extra for a Limited w/Nav which included push button start and smartkey and included the back-up camera. I love the system and do not regret getting it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. I've been lurking for two months now. I hope this helps.

I have the red SE with NAV because I couldn't refuse having my first sunroof! :grin:

What I like about the Nav system:
  • It's no TomTom, but at least the music fades gracefully while directions are clearly announced. So far, pronunciation of street names in California is excellent. I can add waypoints before a destination, too.
  • Updates with corrections are free (New car warranty for 3 years? Need to confirm this.)
  • XM traffic warnings about problems ahead is impressive (announces "Congestion ahead" and offers rerouting choice.)
  • Can avoid certain streets/tollroads/highways/drawn areas (South L.A. neighborhoods) on the map. :p
  • The touchscreen and backlight doesn't mysteriously fade in extremely hot weather. (You'll find a thread here about earlier owners reporting about the non-Nav LCD display exhibiting this problem.)
  • The sound system is surprisingly powerful; though the rear line for the subwoofer is very wimpy but can be fixed (a new thread was just created about this issue.)
  • Easier to navigate through a friend's iPod with a ludicrous amount of audiobooks (1600mi roadtrip was a success!)
  • My passenger is able to call/map destinations for me while my steering wheel buttons can still control audio.
  • Haven't experienced getting unsafe glare from the sun (the shiny surface for vent controls will bother you more.)
  • Even in FM, displays song or program information in multiple, though scrolling lines of text.
  • So much easier to browse through a long list of XM stations; keeps the passenger and this driver sane.
  • I don't need to put any GPS device away after parking to avoid instant break-ins.

Cons (all minor):
  1. I wish they added real tweeters in this option. That would bring out matching clarity to go along with the bass while playing CD or iPod/iPhone music.
  2. While the sun rises or sets, the touchscreen is washed out by the sunbeam coming through the passenger side windows. So it's nearly impossible for me to safely read the display while in motion for half an hour (Any innovative suggestions, anyone?)
  3. With the exception of the Sonata Hybrid, there's not much integration with other car functions (not even touchscreen "climate control" for Limited trim.)
  4. The screen should be an inch or two larger OR automatic dimming should have its own brightness setting for night time. (Currently, touchscreen brightness is just one global setting within the Nav system and doesn't even integrate with the car's own dimmer control--An improved display is supposedly in the works!)
Yikes! What a list... I'll stop for now.

·
Registered
817 Posts
:00000732: to the boare, Chai T.

Good list, too.

·
Registered
623 Posts
A bit :eek:fftopic: but I wonder why the sonata didn't build more features into the touchscreen interface. My last car ran the climate control among other things through the system. Feel the sonata should have done the same. The more items that are run through the touchscreen, the easier it is to justify overall cost.

·
Registered
486 Posts
>>>> I wonder why the sonata didn't build more features into the touchscreen interface. My last car ran the climate control>>>>
.. Costs pure and simple. Upfront and down the road.
Then they would have to include the whole unit in the regular car warranty under heat/a/c, where now it is only 3yr/36K radio.

.......... Radio and audio systems (i.e., radio, compact disc player, DVD player, navigation system, and Bluetooth®): 3 years/36,000 miles........

Bought my nav just for the rear camera for the wife.. The rest was pure gravy.. love it all. Thought we would never use it, but I was wrong.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i'm glad nobody said the nav will give a better resale value to the car. it won't.
navs only increase resale value for true luxury cars. not sonatas.

but in the end, it's not just the nav you get.
there's a lot more that comes with the nav.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If you don't get the nav, you'll always regret. We tend to want everything available on a car. Then when we buy a lesser version, we start adding to it to make it like what we wished we'd bought.

I love the nav and I'm glad it doesn't lump every function into the nav screen. I HATE having to switch back and forth from menu to menu (my Lexus RX330 is like this), this is also the complaint of BMW's i-drive controller. It's nice to have a dedicated button for a function. The Sonata's nav is easy to operate and worth the price of admission to me. Plus I don't have to worry about wires being plugged in, the suction cup falling off the windshield, the smaller screens of portable units or my cubbies being occupied. I've upgraded my 2004 Lexus nav 2 times easily with a disc, so that shouldn't be an issue for future updates with the Sonata. Updating portable nav units requires downloading programs to a computer then hoping they upload into the nav and it works correctly. Ask me about my $1200.00 Magellan! YMMV.

Ray

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (crayb @ Nov 3 2010, 09:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368832
I love the nav and I'm glad it doesn't lump every function into the nav screen. I HATE having to switch back and forth from menu to menu (my Lexus RX330 is like this), this is also the complaint of BMW's i-drive controller. It's nice to have a dedicated button for a function. The Sonata's nav is easy to operate and worth the price of admission to me. Plus I don't have to worry about wires being plugged in, the suction cup falling off the windshield, the smaller screens of portable units or my cubbies being occupied. I've upgraded my 2004 Lexus nav 2 times easily with a disc, so that shouldn't be an issue for future updates with the Sonata. Updating portable nav units requires downloading programs to a computer then hoping they upload into the nav and it works correctly. Ask me about my $1200.00 Magellan! YMMV.

Ray
I like Ray's point. I have been reading car magazines for over 10 years and I remember when iDrive came out and how much people HATED it. It took a very long time for car companies to perfect (and some might even argue they still havent perfected it) the ability to integrate multiple systems.

In today's world, sometimes I think some things are "TOO" integrated. I actually think I would prefer a system where the nav is the nav, the cars computer is in the instrument cluster, and the HVAC controls are in their own area.

I also think that a major plus of an in dash Nav as opposed to the external one is the cleanliness of installation and not having to worry about theft. When I was in high school I had radar detectors, but I eventually stopped using them cause I hated seeing the wires. I dunno, maybe Im weird, but I like not seeing a mess of wires.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Look's awesome if you're looking in a car from the outside. Then when you get in, it completes the center console with this beautiful screen. Sure it could be bigger but hey, still a good size.

Plus if you're going to get a car with all the toys might as well add the nav. You just never know when you get lost.

Hate looking at Luxury cars, like BMW, Benz, etc with no nav, makes the car look cheap. Any car with nav makes a car LOOK 10x better.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I got a Sonata SE with the Sun & Nav package strictly for the sunroof. To go a Limited without nav would have been out of my price range since most dealers were overpricing them and I really wasn't interested in a Limited model. I only had to use the navigation system once and for not reading the thick booklet that comes specifically for the navigation, I think I did alright. I didn't get the voice direction gig to work but arrows in the upper right (?) corner letting me know where to turn was more than sufficient since I only had to glance at the screen. The only real downside for me is that the screen kept changing images which meant a lot of times I lost the directional arrows I was using to help guide me. I'm sure in the manual it tells you how to prevent this from happening but as I'm still reading the manual for my other car, I haven't cracked anything for the Sonata yet. Overall I'm glad I got it. Seeing how I never had any type of electronic navigation assistance before this gets a passing grade. I am bummed that my XM Nav Traffic trial offer was seemingly less than a week which I missed out on. Had I was given a real chance to test out that feature, it might have convinced me to sign up for XM Radio although I rarely listen to it now on my current 3 month trial run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
<div align='left'>QUOTE (Hysteria @ Nov 4 2010, 04:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369071
I am bummed that my XM Nav Traffic trial offer was seemingly less than a week which I missed out on. Had I was given a real chance to test out that feature, it might have convinced me to sign up for XM Radio although I rarely listen to it now on my current 3 month trial run.
My XM Nav Traffic trial stopped about 2 days after buying the car. It is meant to be a 90 day free trial, so after numerous calls to XM (including receiving a bill for the trial period!) I now have the 90 day free trial back. You just need to be persistent and be aware that each time you call they will attempt to get you to sign up to a subscription.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Positive: Looks **** cool

Negative: Too **** expensive

IMO: Not enough features to make it worth the cost... unless you need to have the sunroof

Edit: Can't believe i got censored for writing "d^mn" on a message board in which, theoretically, we are all of the age to be driving.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Build-In Unit (Pro):

- No Brainer (If you are willing to pay and like factory equipment, or how it is designed)
- It is all there for you, integrated (correctly or incorrectly)
- Uniform factory setup
- You don't need to spend more time for installation or troubleshooting
- All under factory warranty at dealership, one stop
- Less chance of being stolen than portable GPSs

Build-In Unit (Con):

- Takes a bit Fun/Challenge out of life
- Not as economical as non-factory units or portables
- Map Updates is around $100 a pop
- Add on portable GPSs are approaching disposable prices (yes, a little exaggerated, almost like TVs, who fixes TVs?)
- Many portables gives lifetime updates for a one time fee at initial or subsequent map purchase
- Stuck for life of car, most likely (If you don't like a particular brand/model of portables, get another easily)

Lastly:

- If money is no object, get a factory Nav.
- If the ashtray gets full, get a new car...
:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
QUOTE (shinigami @ Nov 3 2010, 09:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368829
i'm glad nobody said the nav will give a better resale value to the car. it won't.
navs only increase resale value for true luxury cars. not sonatas.

but in the end, it's not just the nav you get.
there's a lot more that comes with the nav.

Sun Roof and Nav will increase resale or trade in value, certainly not dollar for dollar but it sure will.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
QUOTE (Desertsky @ Nov 8 2010, 12:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369831
Sun Roof and Nav will increase resale or trade in value, certainly not dollar for dollar but it sure will.

+1

especially if its factory equipment.

Reason why i got nav is because my 08 sonata had nav(aftermarket unit, avic-z110bt, i loved it!!!)

Now the pioneer i had kicked the **** out of the factory nav, i love having a real display, i love having a backup camera, and the audio system that comes with the nav sounds great!.

i rarely ever use the Nav to get to my locations, its always great to have. I like just having the map on, moving with me. :)

for the price difference between the having nav and not having nav it was a no brain-er, a great nav deck like the pioneer will set you back a grand, then the good backup camera is about 100, then add a xm box for another 100, pac remote control unit add another 100, cost to install unit 100-300 depending how good of a job your installer wants to do.... and congratulations, you just voided your warranty on anything that deck hooks up to. and dont tell me your planning on swapping the deck out before going to the dealer, its easier said than done...

I for one want a worry free car now, yes i changed the horn, yes i have a strut bar. but hey, if my stock navi deck takes a crap within 10 years, its covered. (i bought extended warranty, for CHEAP). and from past experiences with Hyundai's decks, they eventually fail in some way. mothers 02 Santa fe, took a crap after 5 years, pops 04 sonata took a crap in 4 years, and the 2000 sonata we had, the deck took a crap in 4 years.

Hopefully Hyundai has a different vendor for the nav head unit...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts