Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ Apr 21 2010, 11:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315306
In some states you do. I live in virginia and I have to pay vehicle property tax semi annually. So if you don't in your state...You're lucky!

We're not lucky, your state just sucks! lol my cousin lives there and HATES all the stuff they pull, but he's in the AF so he is stationed there

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Apr 21 2010, 12:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315318
Wow yes you do. How much do you have to pay semi annually on a typical Car. Do you also pay the DMV, and yearly car registration too?
According to my county it is $4.20 for every 100 of the market value of the car. They do give 58% off the tax for the first 20,000. So I'm thinking it will probably be around 300 a year maybe more which sucks. I'm hoping someone who owns one already here in va can help with this.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Do they also charge sales tax when you buy the car? Bet it's not as high as the 10.25% I had to pay.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I never thought I'd say that I was lucky to be living in the People's Republic of Maryland, where the slogan is, 'If you can dream it, we can tax it', but at least we don't have property tax on our vehicles. Shhhhh. Let's keep that quiet though before some **** in the state legislature hears about it.

Wow :eek: See the asterisks above. I used a word that starts with the letter 'M' and rhymes with 'boron'. Can you believe that?

·
Registered
738 Posts
I thought we fought a war because of taxation without representation..

Yeah, we got representatives in congress etc etc but they keep taxing at a ridiculous rate and we really don't have a choice.
Whoever runs will tax, so really no representation...

Oh well Maybe the revolution will take care of that :whistling: LOL

Oh yeah, no property tax in PA yet.... notice I said yet....... :grin:

·
Registered
343 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ Apr 21 2010, 02:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315372
Sure do. I think it's 5%. Can someone who lives in VA who bought a sonata confirm?
I live in the wonderful town of Leesburg and I have to pay town, county, and state taxes on my 'garaged' vehicle. I'm pretty sure you're right on the money about the 5%, Silver. They get you for alot in the Commonwealth, for example:

- Safety inspection every year
- Emissions inspection every other year (without either of these, single or in combo every other year, you can't register your car)
- State tags every year (or every two years if you renew them the same year as your emissions inspection)
- Town sticker every year
- Personal Property tax twice/year

Not for nuthin', but these things add up after a while...although you don't see too many hoopties on the roads here, at least in NoVA. :w00t:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (herr_howard @ Apr 21 2010, 02:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315377
I live in the wonderful town of Leesburg and I have to pay town, county, and state taxes on my 'garaged' vehicle. I'm pretty sure you're right on the money about the 5%, Silver. They get you for alot in the Commonwealth, for example:

- Safety inspection every year
- Emissions inspection every other year (without either of these, single or in combo every other year, you can't register your car)
- State tags every year (or every two years if you renew them the same year as your emissions inspection)
- Town sticker every year
- Personal Property tax twice/year

Not for nuthin', but these things add up after a while...although you don't see too many hoopties on the roads here, at least in NoVA. :w00t:
Oh sweet. You are not that far away from me. I live in Ashburn. Have you paid your property tax yet?, I'd like to know how much they are so I know a ballpark on how much to expect when I buy mine.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Plus I see you have a "Statewide Local Tax" of 1%, whatever that is, and they tax all food from the Grocery Store at 2.5% too.

You need to fly into Oregon, rent a Hotel, buy a Hyundai & pay no Sales Tax. Then just don't go back to VA. Some States pay you to live there!

·
Registered
343 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ Apr 21 2010, 03:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315390
Oh sweet. You are not that far away from me. I live in Ashburn. Have you paid your property tax yet?, I'd like to know how much they are so I know a ballpark on how much to expect when I buy mine.
I just paid my first PPT and think it's a partial, but it was around $82, if I'm not mistaken. My Chrysler van was only around $28, but it's 9 years old.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i lived in PA, we didn't have to pay a "car property tax" but we did have to pay an "Inspection Tax" for our registration every year.

i live in SC now, and the lady at the county office said it's about 220/10,000 of the value per year. I'd rather pay the 20 bucks for an inspection and deal with any "repairs" needed than the tax, but ohwell.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow,

I thought we were taxed to death up here in Canada, but about the only thing I'm NOT taxed on is property taxes on a car! Who would have thought. I give it a few more years before some idiot up here decides to try it!

·
Registered
196 Posts
In NC the city and county propoerty tax applies to all real estate, cars, trucks, boats, trailers, airplanes, any property owned by a business (furniture, computers, tools, etc.) except inventory held for sale (car dealer does not pay tax on cars in inventory, but does on a tow truck), and the tools or equipment owned and used by a tradesman or professional in their work (mechanic tools. computers, etc.)

At one time essentially all property was subject to the tax including household furnishings, clothes, jewelry etc and business inventories. That was the case when I was young and everyone had to list their new property in January. Historically, property tax was the major tax base of local government before the advent of sales and income taxes.

The state even realized that people who did not own tangible property such as real estate or cars but who had large cash or stock and bond holdings were escaping the local tax (except what they paid through rent.) They enacted a property tax on cash and stocks, but it exempted stock in corporations incorporated within the state. That exemption was partially political and partially because it was hard to set a value for the many small privately held business corporations. Courts held that exemption to be un constitutional and they did away with the tax rather than try to work out a fix.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts