Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many of you actually trust your on board MPG computer, compared to calculating your MPG the ol' fashion way. I trust the ol' fashion way more than the on board cpu. Sorry for using miles/gallons for the non-USA members.
Calculation steps: 1. Top-off your tank with fuel. 2. Reset your odometer, or record your current miles. 3. Drive at least a half of a tank's worth of fuel before doing the calculation. 4. Top-off your tank again and record your miles driven and exact amount of fuel used. 5. Divide the miles driven by gallons of fuel used to achieve a fairly accurate MPG. Example: 250 miles divided by 10.52 gals equals 23.76 MPG. :cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll help with the non USA members!! I use your same way just with small diffrence..

To caculate L/KM,
1) Top-off your tank, 2) Reset odometer, 3) Drive for 100 KM, 4) Top-off your tank again, record your KM, see the exact amount of fuel spent, 5) Divide the Km driven by Liters consumed, the sum is how Km you drove with 1 liter.. I got 12KM/L or 8.3L/100 KM

Hope i helped!!!

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
You have to be sure your odometer is correct too. Mine is off compared to a GPS so I factor that in. Take GPS miles and divide by odo miles to get a correction factor. Mine is 1.03.

My speedometer was off from the factory by quite a bit, I put on bigger tires and this corrected the speedometer but threw the odometer off. From the factory the fuel calculation was always 2-3 mpg high.

The ECU reported speed is way off now with the bigger tires but the speedo is spot on. This also corrected my mpg readout considerably.

My last tank the display showed 35.4 mpg and I calculated it out to 34.9.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts