Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on retrofitting the OEM fresnel lens projectors with clear lens hid projectors. I would be doing this in a couple of months, in a step by step process. I'm looking at products from The Retrofit Source (TRS). Anybody have any experience with TRS and the various options they have? Did anybody previously change their lens to clear ones? Also, how easy is it to remove the actual lens from the assembly? I previously removed the reflector bowl in the projector without baking and removing the assembly. I managed to just remove it through the opening in the back of the headlight where the dust cap goes, but I couldn't figure out how to take the lens through that opening. Any help with this would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Drove even with a guy with HID's, his lamps had real bright spots and dark shadows, where my Elantra head lamps had a uniform brightness across the entire lane. And overall, my vision of the road has far superior to his. This is the function of so-called frosted head lamps, to even out and defuse the light.

Probably noticed your household lamps are frosted, the lenses that are really frosted are found in movie projectors.

I switched to Sylvania 9006 and H7 Xtravisions that are about 30% brighter than stock, run about six bucks each and last a very long time, those real expensive one, lucky to get a year's use, not really much brighter, and a burnt out head lamp is worse than a slightly dimmer one.

Never tried to remove my headlamp assemblies understand, remove the two connectors, two 10 mm bolts on the top and the rest snaps in. I love snapping things together, but really hate the opposite.

As opposed to other compact vehicles, love the Hyundai with four single filament bulbs. With the brights on with the dims, have even light from the front of the vehicle far out in the distance. With single double filament bulbs, with a dark spot in the distance or in front of the vehicle.

Hate HID's with a passion, positively blinding, thought they were illegal, but more and more are on the roads. Done by idiots, that bright light does not penetrate fog,, need a light that more favors yellow and sure have super bright and dark spots on the road.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Correction, shop manual says the so-called front bumper cover has to be removed first. Whoever said just remove the two top 10mm bolts must have broken the bottom part of his headlamp assemblies.

Regarding the front bumper cover, feel the word cover is just enough, I don't see anything that looks like a bumper. Could never replaced these by myself, have to be under the vehicle to tighten the screws and in front of it to properly align it. Always had a problem being at two different places at the same time. Maybe just me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Why not look for set of used Elantra Sport headlamps with power plugs? Connect some wires and you have much better performing lamps than any retrofit. Also legal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts