Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Accent Hatchback
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright everyone,

I've been looking around for a while and cant find what I'm looking for. I'm thinking of doing a full projector retrofit for the front headlights but am having a hard time finding info.
I've tried other forums and still cant find any info. NEED ADVICE.

·
Registered
2014 Accent Hatchback
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After emailing https://www.theretrofitsource.com with my questions, here's their response for the '12-'17 Hyundai accent...

Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Kit
Projectors: D2S 5.0 Bi-xenon (LHD)
Compatible Ballasts: 35W: Morimoto XB35 or 50W; Morimoto XB55
HID bulbs: D2S XB 4500K-6500K
Shroud Style: Up to you (but I think the Apollo 2.0 would look good here)
Harness: MotoControl Bi-xenon (9003/H4)
Optional LED Halos: Up to you-
Optional Headlight Sealant: Recommended (Gray or Black)
With everything you need for both headlights, the kit comes out to $320 shipped within the United States.
Projectors: Relative to other projector options we sell; The Morimoto Mini's offer the best mix of performance and ease of install. With modern optics and their standard clear lens, their light output is comparable or better than most OEM projectors. The projectors have a threaded shaft on the back that will fit through the existing hole in the back of your headlight reflector (where the light bulb comes through now) and clamps on with the included hardware. You may need to buzz off a little bit of material from hole in the reflector to install the projector – but that’s about it as far as modification goes.
We've actually got an awesome installation video that can be seen here for the installation into an H4 style headlight; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CIlPo6S5-M
Ballasts: you’ve got two options – the XB35 is a 35-watt ballast, which is the most efficient, longest lasting option. 35w is industry standard in all cars that come stock with HID headlights. The XB55 is a higher output 50-watt ballast and although it will make about 15-20% more light, they’re a bit more power hungry, run a little hotter, and are only warrantied for 3 years instead of 5. We generally don’t suggest the XB55 for smaller housings or fog lights. Since the XB ballasts came out in November of 2014, we’ve sold over 100,000 of them and they have a super low failure rate of just about .04% - which is awesome.
Bulbs: the only decision is on the Kelvin rating, which is basically just the color of the light output. 4500K bulbs produce a warm white color, that’s what all vehicles with factory HIDs use. 5500K is the most popular option since it’s a pure white color, offers the best mix of actual intensity and neutral color. 6500K bulbs are still mostly white, but have a very slight tinge of blue. Morimoto HID bulbs are standard equipment because they offer the best bang for buck in terms of reliability and precision. There are a handful of OEM bulb options as well which certainly aren’t a bad choice if you don’t mind spending more on them. Back to Kelvins, we have a helpful video here.
Shrouds: I recommended a good shroud for you in the parts listed above - but we basically just recommend picking shrouds based on preference and the geometry of your housings. You can actually see what all the options look like here.
Harness: I put the right one for you in the parts list above. This will make sure the new projector system will be plug n play and work properly off the stock headlight wiring. No cutting/splicing required.
Headlight Sealant is recommended to help ensure you don’t get any moisture inside the light after re-sealing. Halos are just for looks, that’s totally up to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.