Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One day, i took off my front bumper to check out some things on my car (and to see if there were anything I could mess with) and I got this crazy idea of making custom LED bars for my fog lights using WHITE LEDs. I then went ahead and bought the GS lower grille and started to mock a template for the LED placement. The plan is to wire them up to the existing fog harness so they will work normally with the stock fog switch. Here is my progress so far... If it goes well, my REAL fogs will be up for sale soon :)

As you can see, I wanted them to follow the angle that the grille has already giving them a bit of style instead of just a bunch of LEDs strung across my bumper.

And these will be holding the LEDs in place really setting off the look. I will be painting them BLACK so they aren't really flashy and gaudy.

Feedback, bring it :)

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I've seen it done before on some really old crappy cars. I suspect it will look much better on yours :thumbsup: Keep in mind, though they'll look cool as heck, they will be useless for actually lighting up anything... HOWEVER, they will be very visible to other drivers, so your overall conspicuity will be better, even if YOUR visibility isn't :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Apr 30 2010, 10:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318202
I've seen it done before on some really old crappy cars. I suspect it will look much better on yours :thumbsup: Keep in mind, though they'll look cool as heck, they will be useless for actually lighting up anything... HOWEVER, they will be very visible to other drivers, so your overall conspicuity will be better, even if YOUR visibility isn't :)
Yeah, the whole idea is for looks, not using it for practicality whatsoever. Another thing I have to do is modify the fog wiring so I can turn them on WHENEVER I want, I know it has been done numerous times.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
E class

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
i just hope you never get into an accident. cuse that would be such a waste of time. sexy idea tho

btws, careful when playing with the fog light wiring. i did that first month i had my car and ive never been able to use the dash dimmer switch. jus a heads up

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I hope you don't use 180° LED because you'll be blinding people :D

How much would you want for the foglights+pigtails? I'm guessing you'll cut off the connectors to plug you LEDs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Apr 30 2010, 11:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318411
I hope you don't use 180° LED because you'll be blinding people :D

How much would you want for the foglights+pigtails? I'm guessing you'll cut off the connectors to plug you LEDs.
Haha, the LEDs have about a 20-25 degree angle so no big deal. I will be buying the adapters to plug into the existing plug so I DON'T have to cut the stock plugs off. Keep it all plug and play.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (Tone_C @ Apr 30 2010, 11:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318415
Haha, the LEDs have about a 20-25 degree angle so no big deal. I will be buying the adapters to plug into the existing plug so I DON'T have to cut the stock plugs off. Keep it all plug and play.
Good I like to keep things plug&play as well and to be able to go back to stock without trouble.

·
Registered
709 Posts
maybe you could add a forth row of high powered amber leds to just below the 3rd foglight row and integrate it with the turn signal? Kind of like on the new mercedes and audi's

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (nobodieshero07 @ May 1 2010, 01:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318540
how are you going to be wiring these up
I have fog lights stock so they will just wire right into the existing wiring.

QUOTE (mrblank @ May 1 2010, 07:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318649
I don't like the "line of LEDs" look, i wanted them a bit more spaced apart

QUOTE (fonque @ May 2 2010, 10:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318813
maybe you could add a forth row of high powered amber leds to just below the 3rd foglight row and integrate it with the turn signal? Kind of like on the new mercedes and audi's
THIS is an idea that I had originally but then i decided it would have been just too much going on. And i can always add to it :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
That's alot like what I put behind my grille. I put a blue led strip that illuminates the radiator behind it. You can't see the leds themselves, but you could see the glow that they let out.
[attachment=17901:0427002314.jpg]
You can't really see it that great unless you click on it to enlarge it, and it looks better and more vivid in person. I don't know how to increase the size of the picture on here.

I connected it to a switch I put down under the fuse box near the foglight switch. :D
I wanna do something simular to your idea. I wanted to put just one led strip per side of the black plastic on the floor of it facing up. I wanna connect it to the same switch, so they would turn on together.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts