Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving a 97 (101k on it) Elantra and recently the 'check engine' lit up. I have an OBII scanner and two codes came up, P0135 and P0446. The code 135 (Oxygen Sensor Heater Malfunction) is for the 1st o2 sensor, and chances are that I have to replace it (unless someone has knowledge of it being otherwise.) But the 2nd code P0446(CANISTER CLOSE VALVE PERMANENTLY CLOSED) I haven't got a clue where to start.

Anybody have to deal with these problems?? :blink:

I forgot to mention that I can not fill up the tank completely, maybe only 3/4 of the way then gas nozzle/handle stops. Now I don't know if this info is important or relates to the P0446 code, but info none the less.

I've tried doing the yahoo/google thing, but nothing really helpful. I did come accross this cool website relating to OBDII codes and Hyundai cars: http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/default.asp
It does give me some reference, but don't have the precise tools to do them and looking for someone who has first hand experince indealing with these two prolems.

Anyways, any input/info to these two codes would really be appriciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
behind the left rear wheel is the C-canister, on top of it is the "CCV (canister-close-valve) and on that is a air filter connected; remove the filter, and blow by mouth into the opening were it connects to the CCV; blow hard, you should blow throug it easily, like throug a FACE MASK. when the filter is restricted, the tank can't vent propper, and preventing you to fill the tank.

clean the front O2 sensor connector, kill the code, and try again. if the code comes back, the sensor may need replacing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Duke for the info, I'll give it a try (clearing the CCV/canister).
As far as the O2 is concerned, looking at the sensor which on the car, it looks as if it's been replaced before. It has four wires from the sensor which have been crimped to the oem connector. It would seem that the previous owner tried to replace it but used a generic O2 sensor.
So, I may just invest in the new OEM (Bosch) O2 sensor.

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by delahuerta@Dec 4 2004, 05:58 AM
Thanks Duke for the info, I'll give it a try (clearing the CCV/canister).
As far as the O2 is concerned, looking at the sensor which on the car, it looks as if it's been replaced before. It has four wires from the sensor which have been crimped to the oem connector. It would seem that the previous owner tried to replace it but used a generic O2 sensor.
So, I may just invest in the new OEM (Bosch) O2 sensor.

Thanks again for the advice.
[snapback]3306[/snapback]​

The OE sensor might have been a Bosch, but do not get the Bosch part.
Go to a Hyundai dealer and get the sensor for your Elantra there.
I believe the genuine Hyundai replacement O2 sensor for your car is made
by KEFICO and it's as reliable as Bosch and CHEAPER. Do not waste your
money on aftermarket Bosch O2 sensor.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by Delphi@Dec 4 2004, 04:00 PM
The OE sensor might have been a Bosch, but do not get the Bosch part.
Go to a Hyundai dealer and get the sensor for your Elantra there.
I believe the genuine Hyundai replacement O2 sensor for your car is made
by KEFICO and it's as reliable as Bosch and CHEAPER. Do not waste your
money on aftermarket Bosch O2 sensor.
[snapback]3320[/snapback]​

that is correct, never use an after market one, it most likely is not of the correct calibration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts