Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Got some wierd action on the instantaneous mileage readout this afternoon, with the sensor unplugged...

Coming up to a stop light, my gas usage went down like normal, and then started to rise up to about 1/4 of the bar, and sit there as I slowly came to a stop.. very strange. It did go back to 0, but made me think "wtf?" The car didn't feel like it wanted to go anywhere, so it's not like the throttle was coming on all by itself, just that the readout was showing fuel usage where there really shouldn't be any.

I think after the track test tomorrow, I might just plug 'er back in and see whats what..I've never noticed that before.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Also I noticed that fuel usage is way up just off the clutch engagement, as you come on the gas.. I think it is eating into mileage a bit, but if you're gentle with the throttle at a cruise, then it seems to even out.

I've crept up maybe .3 L/100KM since unplugging, but I have been honking on it a bit more, and getting used to the new response.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Also I noticed that fuel usage is way up just off the clutch engagement, as you come on the gas.. I think it is eating into mileage a bit, but if you're gentle with the throttle at a cruise, then it seems to even out.

I've crept up maybe .3 L/100KM since unplugging, but I have been honking on it a bit more, and getting used to the new response.
I actually found that after I calibrated my gas pedal to my liking, I didn't need to unplug the clutch upper sensor. Now that I have a fully responsive gas pedal, the shifting became so much smoother, and I prefer it this way.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The biggest thing I'm curious about is the change in the intake butterflies..there isn't as much of a stepped opening anymore. It's almost like it actuates at the macro level now, and doesn't bother with the other limited stages.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm soooooo going to go do this now.

Edit (after looking at it): Actually I figured a slightly less invasive tactic... the sensor relies on a switch that is engaged by the clutch pedal as it is pushed.. on the clutch is a tab with a small rubber foot stuck in it, which is very very easily removable, and kept in the center console! Once removed, the clutch no longer depresses the switch, rendering the sensor useless! Haven't tested, but it makes sense to me! Oh yeah...and the cruise control should still work!!

Pics after the jump.

Thanks for the post! (rep added!)
Pulling out an old post here.

I am a bit confused here, I looked under my dash and there are two sensors. The one you mentioned above with the photos is the lower one on the firewall, but it seems most people are talking about unplugging the upper one by the hinge? Which one does what and which one should be unplugged?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts