Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
I recently bought my GL less than a week ago with under 10km on it. Its been great so far but I noticed a weird movement when shifting into 3rd gear (both up and downshifting). It started happening about 2 days into driving the car.

As I shift into third gear I feel a little kickback against the forward motion. It doesn't happen all the time and it doesn't seem to be dependent on the car speed or the speed of my actual shifting. Although it happens a lot more when I shift quickly into third.

I've been told that 3rd and 5th gears are the longest and I might just need to get something adjusted at the dealership. I'm planning on taking it in but I won't be able to for a few days so just looking for some ideas.

This kickback doesn't happen on any other gear except third (MAYBE I felt it a little on 5th but I may have been searching for it after being told about 3rd and 5th gear being long).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have the '13 elantra sedan 6spd MT. And I feel the same thing with my 3rd gear as well. This is only my second week of ownership of this car, and I still don't feel too comfortable with this tranny. Keep in mind that driving standard tranny is not a new thing for me. I've been debating on taking it to the dealer as well...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thats good then. I have the exact same car as you and the same problem so it isn't anything that you are I did in the first week to screw up the tranny. I'll take it in and see what they say.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sounds good, keep us updated on what the dealer says. I noticed today that it almost seems like the synchros for the 3rd gear is playing a bit, sometimes it'll go in smoothly, and sometimes it feels, as you mentioned, slightly resisting, almost as if I were to rev match the engine, it would engage the gear smoother.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Can't edit previous post, so I'm adding as a new one:

I was reading in another sectiom of this forum, and came across this topic, you can follow this link if you are interested for the full story
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/233-r...nt-feel-right-2013-accent-6-speed-manual.html

And there was one particular post that got me interested:

If there is nothing particularly wrong with your car, you may be "disoriented" by the effect of the Accent's clutch pedal sensor. This is a position sensor that tells the car's throttle control electronics if you've just shifted. If you look up under the dash and follow the clutch pedal upwards you'll find a set of wire and a connector that plugs into a box around the hinge of the pedal. It comes in from the left side. The throttle control overrides the gas pedal input based on the input of this sensor, inducing a lag in the gas feed following shifts that many people find undesirable. For one thing it gives weird, numb "feedback" to the driver because things you might expect to happen based on your inputs don't happen.

Pull this plug out and the car will now behave more like a normal manual transmission. It will be more sensitive and demand better timing from you on shifts, but it will give you greater control. Also, you will not see upshift indicators on your dash when this plug is out, but you should ignore those anyway as they are set way too low. If you have cruise control, it will no longer work. Reversing the modification is as simple as plugging the connector back into the clutch pedal.
So I went ahead and checked in the elantra, and found the same kind of plug and sensor. I unplugged it, and the whole experience of the manual did in fact change, there was no throttle control override acting (more about that in next paragraph), the gas pedal was more responsive, thus starting in 1st gear was so much more easier, shifting surprisingly was faster, as in gear engagement was immediate, although not the smoothest, but better than what we are experiencing now with 3rd.

However (this is the more about that part), I ended up plugging the sensor back because after driving for a while, it seemed that somehow, during shifting, the engine would start to hold its rpm, and even over rev ever so slightly for a second or two before dropping the rpms. That problem would disappear after shutting off the car and restarting it. But would come back after about 10-15 min of driving again. So looks like even with the sensor unplugged there was some computer control taking effect after awhile

Supposedly unplugging the switch also disables cruise control, one feature I do not want to compromise on since I'm a frequent user of it.

Anyways, thought I would throw this piece of info in, incase you decide to try it and share your input here as well.

·
22,792 Posts
This is what the warranty is for. No sense in second-guessing the process. If you can reproduce the problem for the dealer, they can probably correct it. At least I'd like to think they could!

·
Banned
998 Posts
same issue as reported in KIA Rio. Poor shifts, delays in acceleration, no way to chirp wheels... but after disconnecting this plug - all went normal. No CC, as mentioned and fuel economy had worsen.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm soooooo going to go do this now.

Edit (after looking at it): Actually I figured a slightly less invasive tactic... the sensor relies on a switch that is engaged by the clutch pedal as it is pushed.. on the clutch is a tab with a small rubber foot stuck in it, which is very very easily removable, and kept in the center console! Once removed, the clutch no longer depresses the switch, rendering the sensor useless! Haven't tested, but it makes sense to me! Oh yeah...and the cruise control should still work!!

Pics after the jump.

Thanks for the post! (rep added!)

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
DP time...

Reading on an alfa forum, some of the posters there are commenting that a similarly placed switch is also used by the cruise control to turn the control off when one depresses the clutch, so if you pull the plug, and the cruise remains on, keep that in mind...of course using the brake to slow down and drop out of cruise is still an option (and probably the best one anyways, as it indicates to others you're slowing down).

Still haven't tested anything mind you...

·
Registered
560 Posts
...ok, sorry, backing up significantly. I have the wrong switch (insert embarrassed guy).

That's the ignition lockout, which you need to be able to engage, to start the car...which I would have figured out, if I had tested it. Sigh.

Why can't we just edit our posts?! :p

Btw, this is what the correct switch operation is (based on the service manual description)

Clutch switch is connected to clutch pedal and transmits clutch operating state to ECM.
When clutch pedal is depressed during driving, engine load changes from loaded to none loaded condition. However, ECM regards vehicle to be loaded becuase VSS signal is still inputted to it. therefore, ECM controls none loaded engine with the condition suitable for loaded engine.
Accordingly, optimum fuel injection control is not performed then, RPM becomes unstable and smoke is produced.
Clutch operation is detected through clutch switch signal. This signal enables ECM to cope with instant change of load condition.
Besides, clutch switch signal is used to detect engaged gear with vehicle speed and engine speed.

·
Registered
560 Posts
So after pulling the right plug, here are my observations!

- First, to put any serious concerns to rest... the clutch acts exactly as expected..push it in, change gears, let it out and keep going.. :00000732:
- Second, the throttle does not run away from you, and I didn't feel out of control ever, so that's good...

Now that that's out of the way...

- I noticed a new feel on the pop out of 1st to 2nd instantly. It's a buttery smooth action that was not there before.. it's like the car now doesn't care if the throttle is still on or not, the gear just slips out and goes about it's business. Other gears were similar - barely any hangup, which is awesome.
- One of the biggest changes I noticed is that there's no more graduated throttle butterfly timing! It all seems to be pedal based now, which is something I've griped about in the past. Not sure how it translates to fuel economy, but it doesn't seem to have a negative impact yet...haven't driven very far, so time will tell, but so far so good!
- There's a definite "on/off" of the throttle when the clutch is pressed. It seems like the engine load characteristics are slightly different, as they aren't managed by the computer as much..seems much more direct
- I definitely noticed that the RPMs hang when you press the clutch, and then are dropped accordingly to match the next gear as the clutch engages. It's a mechanical change vs electric throttle response. I think this goes to the point of the computer/engine getting more of its direction from the VSS instead of the clutch sensor.. as a result:
- Rev matching down is easier due to above. Since the revs don't drop, when you go to shift down it's easier to bump the revs up to the right level. Once I got the hang of it, it started to be nice and smooth again..
- Since there was a change in how the car reacted to inputs, starts were a little more abrupt at first, but you get used to the "new" throttle off clutch
- As mentioned briefly earlier, fuel economy doesn't appear to be impacted, but I've only driven 25km. I'll keep an eye on it, but since it's mostly a driver thing, the act of having the clutch in and the engine keeping revs up shouldn't really make any difference at all.
- Cruise control is disabled. You can press the button and turn cruise on, just can't set the speed.

Track test this Friday! Can't wait to see if anything changes there...

Wonder if we could hack in a toggle switch to keep the plug in, but manage a way to turn on/off the sensor...would be nice to have it for the cruise on long trips, but off for things like the track, or other similarly spirited driving. For now, I guess I'll just keep in mind to plug it back in before setting off..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Wonder if we could hack in a toggle switch to keep the plug in, but manage a way to turn on/off the sensor...would be nice to have it for the cruise on long trips, but off for things like the track, or other similarly spirited driving. For now, I guess I'll just keep in mind to plug it back in before setting off..
Yup, it can be done, some people on the velostar forums have done that (not on these forums). A separate switch that turns on and off the upper clutch switch allowing them to enable cruise when needed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like the general theme of the thread is on point. Guy at dealership test drove it and said he couldn't feel anything wrong with it and my co-worker also took it for a spin with me and he said the same. Maybe I'm too used to VW and citroen clutches/knobs and this is just how Hyundai feels. I still think it doesn't feel right but I'll take a look at some of the suggestions on this thread to see if it can mitigate some of the discomfort I feel when pushing the gear knob.
Thanks all

P.S. The guy who sold me the car said that adjustments could be made to the gears to improve the feel. I don't know exactly "what" could be adjusted. The service tech who did the test drive said nothing could be adjusted at all. He also said that 3rd and 4th are in the same gate and maybe what I'm feeling is the changing gate. 1 -2 / 3-4/ 5 / 6 & reverse . If thats the case I feel like i'd feel the same thing when shifting from 2 to 4 which I've tested and which I didn't feel.

Eitherway... I'm going paranoid over all this now and the car has 400km on it. I'll let it be and hope nothing catastrophic happens. clutches apparently aren't covered by warranty. Learn something new everyday...

·
Registered
560 Posts

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
What's wrong with the feel when shifting into 3rd gear? I don't see any!! what I notice on my car is the delay in first gear making the engine to stall once in a while. I will try the mod for the gas pedal to reduce the delay I dislike since I got the car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts