Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very annoying problem when I go to put gas into my Santa Fe V6 2002.
I put the nozzle in and after like ten seconds the nozzle shuts off. And this is the same thing at every gas station I go. So my logic is telling me that it's not the nozzles at the gasstations. Do you guys have any idea what causes this problem ?

I'll appreciate your input, 'cause to fill up a thank will take me an eternity !

Thanks,

Greyreefshark

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Dear gray reef,

Sorry, but it is the gas station. The locking trigger setting on a gas nozzle is required to trigger if the gas is backing up the fill nozzle, and their is a sensor that will kick off the trigger lock.

If the gas station has the flow rate set too high on the nozzle, the gas will back, the sensor will sense the back up, the trigger lock will be released. This is especially bad for states that mandate the vapor capture collar.

My solution: Set the trigger lock for a lower setting, and hopefully the gas will not back up the fill nozzle.

Other possibility: You have a vent line from the fuel nozzle to the charcoal canister. Is this clogged or obstructed?

Byron

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
This is an inherent problems with the 2001 and 2002 models, specifically those with the 17 gallon tank. The 2003 to 2006 models solved this problem with the 19-gallon tank. There is really nothing you can do about this, from what I've read. Sorry...

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that you have clogged vent lines due to a bad charcoal canister. These are classic symptoms.

Usually the cause of the canister going bad this was is chronic overfilling of the gas tank. Never continue to try to put gas in the tank after the first auto shut-off of the pump. It causes gas to go down the vent lines and into the charcoal canister, dissolving the plastic bag that contains the charcoal pellets, causes them to swell, and they plug the vent lines. When you go to fill up, the vent lines being clogged creates back pressure and the pump thinks the tank is full, hence the constant shutting off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used to have that problem on my 2005 Lancer. I would just pull out the nozzle just a bit and then it would be OK. Try that first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear gray reef,

Sorry, but it is the gas station. The locking trigger setting on a gas nozzle is required to trigger if the gas is backing up the fill nozzle, and their is a sensor that will kick off the trigger lock.

If the gas station has the flow rate set too high on the nozzle, the gas will back, the sensor will sense the back up, the trigger lock will be released. This is especially bad for states that mandate the vapor capture collar.

My solution: Set the trigger lock for a lower setting, and hopefully the gas will not back up the fill nozzle.

Other possibility: You have a vent line from the fuel nozzle to the charcoal canister. Is this clogged or obstructed?

Byron
It is NOT the gas station!! I have had the same problem now for the past 2 years and it's driving me crazy! I have the same problem at every gas station I go to! It has something to do with the evap system of the vehicle. Either the evap canister or the hoses that lead to it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Apologies for reviving somewhat of an old thread.

This happened to my 02. At first the filler neck was replaced. It was a bit rusty and had debris in and around the vent hole, then some hoses. It did turn out to be the charcoal canister. Based on the variables it seems to be a bit self inflicted with topping off.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Verify concern by removing the rubber tube in the drive line tunnel off the steel pipe there in front of fuel tank.. this is just a test, otherwise continued use would be an EPA violation.. pull the tube off the pipe, this will allow the tank to vent to atmosphere during re-fuel.. if it fill up fine and dandy,, the canister' vent path is restricted.. replace the canister

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that you have clogged vent lines due to a bad charcoal canister. These are classic symptoms.

Usually the cause of the canister going bad this was is chronic overfilling of the gas tank. Never continue to try to put gas in the tank after the first auto shut-off of the pump. It causes gas to go down the vent lines and into the charcoal canister, dissolving the plastic bag that contains the charcoal pellets, causes them to swell, and they plug the vent lines. When you go to fill up, the vent lines being clogged creates back pressure and the pump thinks the tank is full, hence the constant shutting off.
what can be done about this??? I have the same problem!!

WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS, I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 2002 SANTA FE!!!! IT'S SUPER ANNOYING FOR SURE BUT HOPEFULLY NOT EVENTUALLY DANGEROUS RIGHT?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts