Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can you tell me what I am doing wrong.

I have a Hyundai Accent 2001 1.5 SOHC and have been trying to install a new alternator/water pump belt that does not seem to fit at all.

I have double and triple checked the belt size with several auto parts centers and they confirm that it should fit. It's the 355K4 (35 1/2 inches internal length). I have loosened the bolt underneath the alternator and removed any bolts onto so that the alternator moves freely back and forth.

And I am pushing the alternator as far as it would go towards the engine and running the belt over the water pump, crank and finally over the alternator and it just won't fit. It's like I am missing a few inches for it to go over.

Any ideas on what I can do or what I am doing wrong. Should I be using some tool to insert it, or grease or something? It's really driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (xoxo4266 @ Apr 26 2010, 09:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317137
Please can you tell me what I am doing wrong.

I have a Hyundai Accent 2001 1.5 SOHC and have been trying to install a new alternator/water pump belt that does not seem to fit at all.

I have double and triple checked the belt size with several auto parts centers and they confirm that it should fit. It's the 355K4 (35 1/2 inches internal length). I have loosened the bolt underneath the alternator and removed any bolts onto so that the alternator moves freely back and forth.

And I am pushing the alternator as far as it would go towards the engine and running the belt over the water pump, crank and finally over the alternator and it just won't fit. It's like I am missing a few inches for it to go over.

Any ideas on what I can do or what I am doing wrong. Should I be using some tool to insert it, or grease or something? It's really driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
First don't panic, there are so many variations of this engine it would not be a surprise if you simply have the wrong belt. Get with the dealer and look up the belt by the car's VIN number, not just the year and make.
Second, There are two bolts, one is a lock bolt, the other is an adjustment bolt. Move the adjustment bolt all the way in so that the belt has maximum slack. Look carefully for the adjustment bolt.
Third, if you still cant fit the belt, use the old belt to size a replacement. It won't hurt to substitute a different belt, as long as it's close to the right size. And be sure not to overtighten the new belt.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you are a couple inches short, and don't have a/c and they gave you a 332 belt. The belt length should be...

355=no a/c
332=with a/c

Check if the number on the belt matches the sleeve. It could be mismarked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts