Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all. So I've had my 2018 Elantra SE for just over a month and last night I experienced my first problem with it.

The Canadian version of the SE comes with the 7" touch screen Apple CarPlay entertainment unit and it's been working mostly good this whole time. The odd time I would lose connectivity and would have to plug back in and I just thought that was the sh!tty dollar store lightning cable I was using but last night while working (I'm a food delivery driver part time), it stopped working outright. I tried restarting my phone but that didn't work. I swung by my place to grab one of my new cables only to quickly discover that it didn't work either. I have a cigarette lighter USB charger as well so I decided to try that and it charged my phone fine. When I got home from my shift last night I was able to charge my phone with the original cable that was in the car so process of elimination points to the USB port in the car being the problem.

I was set to call my dealer this morning to get it in for service. When I drove to work, I decided to try it again and it did work this time without issue but clearly there's a problem. Has anyone ever experienced this with their USB port?

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have experienced some flakiness with the USB port. The last time was after I had not driven it for about a week. For some reason I felt like maybe that had something to do with it. Have not often had an issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good morning all. So I've had my 2018 Elantra SE for just over a month and last night I experienced my first problem with it.

The Canadian version of the SE comes with the 7" touch screen Apple CarPlay entertainment unit and it's been working mostly good this whole time. The odd time I would lose connectivity and would have to plug back in and I just thought that was the sh!tty dollar store lightning cable I was using but last night while working (I'm a food delivery driver part time), it stopped working outright. I tried restarting my phone but that didn't work. I swung by my place to grab one of my new cables only to quickly discover that it didn't work either. I have a cigarette lighter USB charger as well so I decided to try that and it charged my phone fine. When I got home from my shift last night I was able to charge my phone with the original cable that was in the car so process of elimination points to the USB port in the car being the problem.

I was set to call my dealer this morning to get it in for service. When I drove to work, I decided to try it again and it did work this time without issue but clearly there's a problem. Has anyone ever experienced this with their USB port?
I have experienced problems with mine and others have posted about issues.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
One or two times we needed or thought we did, could not connect to our smart phone, have both Apple and Android, but had no problems using our phone directly to find a location of a business we were looking for.

Its my understanding that the map makers charge a business to have their business listed in their POI's, somebody has to pay for it

https://www.mapnsoft.com/hyundai/

Encourages us to update our maps because they have another 5000-8000 new POI's listed, not only getting money from these businesses, but also a huge fortune from us for a map update. Probably why buying a Garmin or a TomTom you get map updates for free, with google or Waze get bombarded with ads as well as Facebook.

Practically all factory GPS charges a small fortune for a map update, Volvo seems to be the worst, close to 400 bucks, but over 200 bucks is quite common regardless of which vehicle you purchase with factory GPS.

Also get robbed using your cell phone for navigation, have to pay for data and if you go to location that doesn't have cell phone coverage, you are dead, but GPS paid for via our taxes with the government always works.

Can add cable TV to this list, costing us a fortune to watch programs with about 25% ads, with HDTV cannot pickup stations that were in the lower VHF range, went into the upper UHF range where one tree branch can block the signal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also get robbed using your cell phone for navigation, have to pay for data and if you go to location that doesn't have cell phone coverage, you are dead, but GPS paid for via our taxes with the government always works.
I do food delivery driving part time so I rely heavily on navigation via my phone. I track my data usage and it's really not that much. In the last month, I used a mere 240 MB of data on Apple Maps which is a small dent in my 10 GB plan with Virgin. I also use Google Maps from time to time on my iPhone which gives you the option to download a map area to your phone so you can use it offline and not consume data.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Planning on installing my Garmin like I did on my old Cruze using a 3M removable mount, only need two thin wires for charging, a 7805 regulator for power, only draws 240 milliamps.

Most reliable GPS yet with free map updates, newest pairs with my cell phone, bluetooth, with square get thousands of extra POI's.

$220.00 for not an updated map from Hyundai is insane, two of my sons built new homes in new subdivisions ten years ago, Hyundai can't find them, Garmin sure does, either with the shortest distance or faster routes, will not take gravel roads. But I can find them, but what about addresses I have never been to before?

USB is a PITA to hook up and really does not have a good means of storing addresses, then I can't use my radio for MP3's.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took her in for the Service Appointment to have it checked out. Of course, they couldn't find anything and since then I've only had one issue. I'm hoping it was a one-time major issue but it's now documented and if it happens again I'll be bringing her back. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
USB is a PITA to hook up and really does not have a good means of storing addresses, then I can't use my radio for MP3's.
I really don't mind plugging my iPhone in, but I play music off my phone while navigating. I would love Apple CarPlay to work over bluetooth but I can deal. That's just me.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I really don't mind plugging my iPhone in, but I play music off my phone while navigating. I would love Apple CarPlay to work over bluetooth but I can deal. That's just me.

Must have the wrong phone, does play what little MP3's I have on it with the USB connected, but in some strange random order, no way to select what I want to hear.

MP3 on the radio lets me quickly select what I want to hear. But does not work when the USB cord is connected.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine has worked pretty good until I left the 4th for a vacation and to get married, where I started having connection issues with my bluetooth port. The issues carried on throughout my trip. I thought it may of been my phone, but like you have no problems when charging with the 9v. weird,,,

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Can hook up my phone to the radio without USB, just use bluetooth, but still cannot select what I want to listen to.

Sure hooks up nice to bluetooth for hand free calls, even automatically updates my contact list into the radio and the calling range is far superior, goes through that shark fin.

But I never tried with when the USB cable is connected to it. Come to think about it, when it is plugged in with USB, do not receive any calls. Something else to play with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts