Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid a couple of weeks ago and I'm having major issues with the mpg that I have been getting. I have drove the car using cruise control with the majority of the time being driven on the highway. I am getting around 30mpg and have tried both eco, smart, and sport modes and all have been horrible. Right now, I'm waiting for Hyundai to contact me (I can't believe it's going to take 7-10 days to speak to a case manager) and I have it parked with 800 miles (in case they can't fix it and need to exchange vehicles). My dealership says they can't do anything without an error code showing up. Has anybody else had this issue? The only odd thing that happened (out of the ordinary) was I went to a drive-in and couldn't figure how to turn off the running lights when parked (figured out later you had to put on the emergency brake for the lights to be completely off). I kept the car electrical system on (to listen to the radio) and it did die and I had to use the emergency jump button on the left side of the dash. Could that have caused an issue? I'm very frustrated since getting 38 mpg was the main reason I purchased this car.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Plant Car
Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Tachometer Gauge
Vehicle Font Auto part Measuring instrument Gauge
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Gauge

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
It's barely broken in.
I've seen engines take 10,000 miles to fully loosen up and reach full efficiency.
Hybrids get their biggest boost in stop-and-go driving with regenerative braking.
Cruising on the highway it's basically just a (new tight) 4-cylinder tuned for best efficiency.
Might help to make sure the tires are at their proper COLD pressure.

·
Registered
2021 Tucson, 2022 Tucson Hybrid
308 Posts
Hybrids don't get better mpg than ICEs at highway speeds (70+ mph) on the contrary they do really well in the city when the electric motor works alone at relatively low speeds or in a stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Blue trim
173 Posts
Your mileage will likely improve as you get more miles on the car but your expectations of 38mpg while blasting down the freeway at 70mph or more are unreasonable. The Tucson has a lot of frontal area and mpg will fall rapidly with increasing speed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your mileage will likely improve as you get more miles on the car but your expectations of 38mpg while blasting down the freeway at 70mph or more are unreasonable. The Tucson has a lot of frontal area and mpg will fall rapidly with increasing speed.
I don't really expect 38 when going 75, but 29 seems low and even city driving is only getting around 31. I've read reviews and youtube videos which show getting close to 38 with the same conditions and I figured I'd be getting close to 38 city and 36 hwy( at 75). My 2021 Miata gets 33 combined and I drive it hard. The range on the car should be around 500 miles per tank and it's only registering 400 after filling it up

·
Registered
15 Posts
You are at the same point I was 4 months ago when I bought mine. My first fill up, MPG was I think 27.8 . This was driving 65 to 70 MPH. Second time I filled up I got 33 something. This was driving 55 to 60 MPH.
I had a 2017 Tucson that I could get 35 or 36 mpg driving 55MPH on reasonably flat highway, so I assumed I could at least do as well with the hybrid.
So, here I am 4 months later at 4000 miles. We are in the middle of a trip around Kentucky and my first tank, MPG was 37.8 driving 55 to 60 MPH. I was pleasantly surprised. Second fill up was 33.7 MPG driving 65 to 70.
So my mileage has improved, but I feel if you are expecting 37 MPG you are going to have to be driving 55MPH on relatively flat roads. If you watch the real time fuel usage bar, these are real gas hogs if there is any kind of load on it.
Am I happy? Somewhat, but I feel there are some issues that maybe they can address. There are times I am coasting downhill and it does not go into EV mode. I can drive one stretch of road and it will stay in EV mode the whole time. Next time I drive this stretch, it does not go into EV mode till about 2/3 way through. This is driving exact same way, battery showing almost the same charge.

Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are at the same point I was 4 months ago when I bought mine. My first fill up, MPG was I think 27.8 . This was driving 65 to 70 MPH. Second time I filled up I got 33 something. This was driving 55 to 60 MPH.
I had a 2017 Tucson that I could get 35 or 36 mpg driving 55MPH on reasonably flat highway, so I assumed I could at least do as well with the hybrid.
So, here I am 4 months later at 4000 miles. We are in the middle of a trip around Kentucky and my first tank, MPG was 37.8 driving 55 to 60 MPH. I was pleasantly surprised. Second fill up was 33.7 MPG driving 65 to 70.
So my mileage has improved, but I feel if you are expecting 37 MPG you are going to have to be driving 55MPH on relatively flat roads. If you watch the real time fuel usage bar, these are real gas hogs if there is any kind of load on it.
Am I happy? Somewhat, but I feel there are some issues that maybe they can address. There are times I am coasting downhill and it does not go into eco mode. I can drive one stretch of road and it will stay in eco mode the whole time. Next time I drive this stretch, it does not go into eco mode till about 2/3 way through. This is driving exact same way, battery showing almost the same charge.

Good luck
Thank you so much for this reply! I basically traded in a Lexus RX350 which gets 26 on the highway and was dreading my decision to purchase it (although I hated that car... Comfortable but too wide and horrible infotainment system). I had covid and for my 10 days of isolation I watched tons videos and read many reviews and many had the car getting 41 mpg and never ran across a video or article stating otherwise. I'm glad I'm not alone but getting 31 in the city is not what I expected.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just took a road trip with a 120lbs of gear in a roof top box on the roof rack and towing a 200lb trailer with 2 76lbs kayaks so totalling about 400lbs +\- .
All backroads driving FL-GA so some hilly areas and roughly 65 MPH average and came to 29.6MPG round trip.
Tire Wheel Plant Land vehicle Car

Like most said above your cars prob just getting broken in and I’m seeing better mileage as mine goes up but the non hybrid, what I have, usually gets better highway than the hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased a 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid a couple of weeks ago and I'm having major issues with the mpg that I have been getting. I have drove the car using cruise control with the majority of the time being driven on the highway. I am getting around 30mpg and have tried both eco, smart, and sport modes and all have been horrible. Right now, I'm waiting for Hyundai to contact me (I can't believe it's going to take 7-10 days to speak to a case manager) and I have it parked with 800 miles (in case they can't fix it and need to exchange vehicles). My dealership says they can't do anything without an error code showing up. Has anybody else had this issue? The only odd thing that happened (out of the ordinary) was I went to a drive-in and couldn't figure how to turn off the running lights when parked (figured out later you had to put on the emergency brake for the lights to be completely off). I kept the car electrical system on (to listen to the radio) and it did die and I had to use the emergency jump button on the left side of the dash. Could that have caused an issue? I'm very frustrated since getting 38 mpg was the main reason I purchased this car. View attachment 462279 View attachment 462280 View attachment 462281 View attachment 462282
I purchased a 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid a couple of weeks ago and I'm having major issues with the mpg that I have been getting. I have drove the car using cruise control with the majority of the time being driven on the highway. I am getting around 30mpg and have tried both eco, smart, and sport modes and all have been horrible. Right now, I'm waiting for Hyundai to contact me (I can't believe it's going to take 7-10 days to speak to a case manager) and I have it parked with 800 miles (in case they can't fix it and need to exchange vehicles). My dealership says they can't do anything without an error code showing up. Has anybody else had this issue? The only odd thing that happened (out of the ordinary) was I went to a drive-in and couldn't figure how to turn off the running lights when parked (figured out later you had to put on the emergency brake for the lights to be completely off). I kept the car electrical system on (to listen to the radio) and it did die and I had to use the emergency jump button on the left side of the dash. Could that have caused an issue? I'm very frustrated since getting 38 mpg was the main reason I purchased this car. View attachment 462279 View attachment 462280 View attachment 462281 View attachment 462282
I’ve had mine for 4000 miles and have logged in all of my fill ups and I get 34 mpg. The car tells me 35.1 is my avg, so I’m not even getting what the computer thinks I’m getting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For me, I live in an area where I have very little in-town driving. But when I do have the stop and go there are some tricks that help me. Sometimes if you back off a little it will drop into EV mode quicker and slow acceleration helps keep it there.
I'm sure others will chime, but I do know that driving this particular hybrid ( my first) required me to learn how to drive it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For me, I live in an area where I have very little in-town driving. But when I do have the stop and go there are some tricks that help me. Sometimes if you back off a little it will drop into eco mode quicker and slow acceleration helps keep it there.
I'm sure others will chime, but I do know that driving this particular hybrid ( my first) required me to learn how to drive it.
I'm concerned more about that since I have been using cruise control on the highway so I'm basically allowing the car to drive using the appropriate program and I'm driving it like a grandmother during the break-in period and not speeding from light to light.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just took a road trip with a 120lbs of gear in a roof top box on the roof rack and towing a 200lb trailer with 2 76lbs kayaks so totalling about 400lbs +\- .
All backroads driving FL-GA so some hilly areas and roughly 65 MPH average and came to 29.6MPG round trip. View attachment 462288

Like most said above your cars prob just getting broken in and I’m seeing better mileage as mine goes up but the non hybrid, what I have, usually gets better highway than the hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha! That's actually great with 2 tons of cargo! That sort of is the issue of paying extra for a hybrid and getting the same fuel economy without carrying 2 tons

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,325 Posts
Battery died at the drive-in? Your Tucson warned you numerous times. Take a portable radio next time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
We just passed the 4000 mile mark. Never have gotten better then 31.5 mpg. Overall lifetime average so far is 30 mpg. About 50% Hwy and 50% in town driving. Traded in a Kia Optima that never got the advertised mpg and daughter had a Sorento where she got yearly $$ checks from Kia as a result of a class action settlement due to false mpg claims. So I was under no illusion Hyundai/Kia are building cars with an accurate mpg claims. Would I love to see the mythical 37 mpg? For sure. But this Tucson is getting at least 9 mpg better then the old Optima so there’s that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Problem is Interstate and US Hwy. Stay off them and don't gun it and you'll see the advertised 37 city / 36 highway mpg.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
For perspective: my 1976 Nova had 110hp and got 13mpg in the city; 1981 Accord had 76hp and got 27mpg in the city. [/boomer]

1 - 20 of 101 Posts