Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought My Getz in November 2017, a 2004 reg with only 4 owners and 69,000 miles on the odo looked good as a first time car passed my driving test less than a year ago.

Car came with full service history. Since I bought it I have had to replace the exhaust, had the alternator fixed and other general maintenance updates such as spark plugs etc.

Recently two issues have arisen which I am reluctant to take to the garage for.

(a) Turning on the headlights when driving shuts off the information on the dash, odo meter, speedometer and rev meter; all go down for about a two to three seconds before starting up again.

(b) squeaking in the front tyres, which stops either: on it's on, during braking or going round a bend/turning the wheels.

Has anyone experienced any of the above? I don't particularly want to spend any more money on a car I bought for £650. Having spent better part of £400 fixing it.

Bought it due to being small car and as a recently-ish young male driver my insurance on it was a whopping £1500, for 12 months.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi
I'll start with B and leave A to electrically wiser people :)

One culprit could be air in the braking system. On it's own air would push the pads to skim on the rotors. Braking would force them harder, and turning would flex the hoses and also moving them. Check the rotors after driving a bit. Is one rotor/brake caliper hotter then the other? Maybe even drive on a road with no other cars and brake with the engine and handbrake. Then the temperature difference would be more noticeable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
I'll start with B and leave A to electrically wiser people :)

One culprit could be air in the braking system. On it's own air would push the pads to skim on the rotors. Braking would force them harder, and turning would flex the hoses and also moving them. Check the rotors after driving a bit. Is one rotor/brake caliper hotter then the other? Maybe even drive on a road with no other cars and brake with the engine and handbrake. Then the temperature difference would be more noticeable.
Thank you for the feedback that could be it, when I bought it the previous owner mentioned he had new front brakes fitted a couple of months back. I will try measuring the brake temps.

Just to pick your brain a little, another issue I have found is that when starting from cold and sometimes hot, when ever I depress the clutch pedal their is a whizz sound almost as it air is being pushed out somewhere. only ever happens when in first gear and about to engage into the second gear.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hard to tell from your description. Could you replicate the sound when the engine is off? If so, have a friend listen around the transmission/clutch/engine bay. Also, could the sound be more like a squeaky spring? Press the clutch slowly, is the duration/sound profile (?) the same?

Side note... that insurance quote...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it might be a spring, I don't think it's the second gear crunching as the clutch is quite new, I can't replicate it when engine is off, and it does not always whizz every time, just the odd times.

And yeah if you are a young male driver in the UK and you want to drive less than a month after passing your driving test then you gota empty the piggy bank. The thing is after a year of driving and no claims, it will drop to £600.

Another issue came up, my first 2 settings on the car heater have gone bust. only setting 3 and 4 work. I think it might be a blown fuse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts