Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After not driving the car for 5 days or so it was dead completely. So I jumped it, as soon as power was restored the horn alarm went off. I don't know if that means anything. Anyway, it had to sit with the jumper for a few minutes to get enough juice to crank and it fired right up. But.... the brake lights including the high 3rd brake light stay on. This could kill the battery, but the last time I parked it I did not see the lights stay on. I thought maybe the brake light switch? Well to get past today I decided to pull the fuse. So I found the correct one marked "stop lamp" 15amp fuse in the underhood fuse panel and pulled it. Now, the left and right brake lights went off but the high LED one is still on! After letting it sit, I put the fuse back and now I have no brake lights and the 3rd light still stays on. Does that one have a different fuse? Why won't they (left and right ones) come back on after I put the fuse back in?

I disconnected the negative battery cable to kill all power so that it won't drain the battery. I don't know if something happened to the lights making them stay on and it killed the battery or if the battery itself is bad (the car starts now, but no brake lights). All other electric accessories are ok including the key fob lock/unlock.

Any ideas? if this is something simple I don't want to take it to the shop.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If I'm reading this schematic correctly all three lamps are connected together at connector MF-11 behind the drivers side kick panel

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just tried that. It didn't work. But after power being disconnected overnight, once power was connected again all 3 brake lights are back on full-time. I had to disconnect again until my service appointment so I don't kill the battery. I looked at the brake pedal switch and it appears to be intact and working. The plunger works and the little rubber pad on the end is still attached.

·
Registered
2002 Sonata 2.4L GL A/T, 2007 Tucson 2.0L
204 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bulb socket seems to be ok. I can see the bulb thru the lens...its a 2 filament bulb and the other filament for rear lights works properly when the headlight switch is on. If the socket was melting then I would assume nothing on the bulb would work. After powering up the car I noticed that the right brake light did not work, but the tail light filament worked in that bulb so that one must have burned out the brake light filament.

The recall only covers cars built thru June 2011, but mine was built in January 2012.

Its very strange how the battery went dead and then the lights stay on after it came back. I don't know if the lights caused it to go dead (which they would, if they were on), or if it just went dead from not being used. The battery is now past the 3 year mark so its not unreasonable that it could go dead with no use in 5 days.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Hyundai have had stop light switch problems for a long time covering many models. Their cheap so I would suggest you replace it instead of trying to adjust the existing one. If it's not the switch they also have a problem with the small rubber pad the switch button sits on when your foot is off the pedal.

·
Registered
2002 Sonata 2.4L GL A/T, 2007 Tucson 2.0L
204 Posts
The bulb socket seems to be ok. I can see the bulb thru the lens...its a 2 filament bulb and the other filament for rear lights works properly when the headlight switch is on. If the socket was melting then I would assume nothing on the bulb would work. After powering up the car I noticed that the right brake light did not work, but the tail light filament worked in that bulb so that one must have burned out the brake light filament.

The recall only covers cars built thru June 2011, but mine was built in January 2012.

Its very strange how the battery went dead and then the lights stay on after it came back. I don't know if the lights caused it to go dead (which they would, if they were on), or if it just went dead from not being used. The battery is now past the 3 year mark so its not unreasonable that it could go dead with no use in 5 days.
Did you try to unscrew the dead light? If so, was it hard to remove?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yesterday after the battery was unplugged overnight, all of the brake lights are back to working full-time. I think I recall once when I replaced a burned out bulb on that side that there's a loose wire in/around the socket where if you tap it then it works. But it works almost all of the time.

I took it into the dealer and they replaced the brake light switch saying it was bad. Best part is they didn't charge me. Covered it under that warranty. I don't know, maybe there's a 2nd recall? The one I saw clearly said cars built thru June 2011. Maybe there was a TSB on it. But I like how Hyundai stands behind all their defects. Thus far in 9 years we've spent zero out of pocket other than oil, tires, brakes, battery, etc - everything else that was done was recall/TSB related. They also tested the battery and said it was ok.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
That's good to know. I think even having a recall they have been fitting the old stock hoping some will work. I had one replaced about 5 years ago then did another myself a month ago after having cruise control problems. Perhaps it's a design problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts