Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had issues with their display where the odometer is? I have the basic model of the Touring Elantra, no automatic lights or any fun stuff like that. In the morning when I go to work the odometer is bright as can be, but on the drive to work it starts to fade. After about an hour or so, I go to sit in my car and the odometer has faded out almost completely. When I get out of work at 5 it's completely blank almost like I've put my headlights on--but they aren't on. Again, I'll wake up the next morning and it's bright as can be and then it slowly fades out as the day goes on.

Does anyone know what the issue could be? It's under warranty and I have an appointment at the shop next week, but I'd like to see if anyone else had this issue. I can post pictures if anyone would like to see them as well!

Thanks!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
:00000732:

I'm going to move this over to the Elantra Touring forum for a better response. :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Sounds like a failing LCD backlight to me. The LCD intensity does change when you turn on the headlamps but I think you know this already. They are also affected by extremes of temperature, less than about 5 deg C and over 50 deg C approximately, this will make the digits 'fade out' or change the contrast of the display, if the actual blue backlighting is going out it's time to see the man.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Yeah, there's definitely something wrong with your display. I doubt a dealer wouldn't agree with that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just nervous because in the morning it's usually bright as can be and it doesn't always fade down to be like it is in those pictures. Thanks for your opinions! I was just hoping someone else may have encountered the issues as well!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Take your pictures with you and show the dealer, that's a crook display for sure, try and get a picture when it's healthy as well so the dealer can set the new odometer to the same kilo/milo/age. I've had LCD's in industrial gear I work on play up in a similar fashion, could be moisture getting into the electronics, nothing you can do about it. Cheers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've seen this exact thing a couple of times on Touring models. Only a couple, so I wouldn't call it a pattern failure or anything to worry about in general.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello!

I came across this post while exploring the forums for Touring issues. My ET's dash cluster had to be replaced as well. At first the dealership tried to blame it on the hot weather we were having. It was finally deemed to be defective and replaced under warranty.

Did anyone else with this defect have issues having the dealership reset the odometer? My vehicle was returned to me after repair with a zero balance on the odometer and a yellow paper sticker attached to the door frame. Eventually, it was worked out for me to get a loaner and for the cluster to be sent off to be 'programmed'.

I want to love my wagon but I fear it's a lemon...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most digital clusters need to be sent out to have the mileage set in them, because that is stored in the cluster itself, not in the car's main computer.

What happened is not indicative of an additional problem with your vehicle. It's indicative of someone at the dealership not having thought (ahead of time) of sending it out to have the mileage set on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for explaining this, turrican; I understand why it was sent out. I'm not correlating the additional problems with my vehicle to the dash cluster failure. There are simply additional problems with the functioning of my vehicle which haven't been resolved by the dealership after multiple attempts.

And you're right, it's indicative of someone at the dealership not having thought things through. Every incident at this particular dealership leaves me feeling dissatisfied and the issue unresolved. On the dash cluster replacement, I was the one who informed the service manager that there existed a facility to advance the mileage on the new cluster's odometer. It took a few days for this fact to be investigated and then longer to arrange the loaner vehicle. In the end, they ended up blaming Hyundai for not telling them this could be done. So, I wondered if others facing this problem also had this struggle. I don’t understand how replacing the dash cluster without then advancing the odometer would be considered a legitimate repair by a licensed dealership.

And is this truly not a "pattern failure" because it seems (based on internet posts) to be happening often on the ETs--for something that happens so rarely in vehicles.

I’m also starting to wonder what effect the cluster replacement will have on the already poor resale value of this vehicle. And was I not supposed to peel off this official paper Hyundai sticker (dealership said the important sticker was overnighted, how exciting)?

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thank you for explaining this, turrican; I understand why it was sent out. I'm not correlating the additional problems with my vehicle to the dash cluster failure. There are simply additional problems with the functioning of my vehicle which haven't been resolved by the dealership after multiple attempts.

And you're right, it's indicative of someone at the dealership not having thought things through. Every incident at this particular dealership leaves me feeling dissatisfied and the issue unresolved. On the dash cluster replacement, I was the one who informed the service manager that there existed a facility to advance the mileage on the new cluster's odometer. It took a few days for this fact to be investigated and then longer to arrange the loaner vehicle. In the end, they ended up blaming Hyundai for not telling them this could be done. So, I wondered if others facing this problem also had this struggle. I don’t understand how replacing the dash cluster without then advancing the odometer would be considered a legitimate repair by a licensed dealership.

And is this truly not a "pattern failure" because it seems (based on internet posts) to be happening often on the ETs--for something that happens so rarely in vehicles.

I’m also starting to wonder what effect the cluster replacement will have on the already poor resale value of this vehicle. And was I not supposed to peel off this official paper Hyundai sticker (dealership said the important sticker was overnighted, how exciting)?
I have seen a couple of these, and there certainly are others out there that this has happened to - I suppose when I said "pattern failure", I meant a very common one (like the Sonata starter lever failure, which I consider common).

There are definitely others who have went through what you did. It happened at the shop I work at (prior to my arrival ;) ). It's common knowledge among experienced techs that (most) speedos can be calibrated to a given mileage prior to installation - it typically must be done at a specialty shop, though, which means it must be sent to a third party in order for this to happen.

The cluster replacement shouldn't affect resale value. There's no reason that I know of that you need that sticker to remain on the vehicle, since the mileage was technically not altered.

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences at that dealership - if you were in Southern California, I'd invite you to bring it to my location.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Second dash cluster failure?

ARUGH!!

Today my dash cluster started to display strangely (not consistently lit)... the SAME way it did before it got worse and was replaced.

Before I contact the dealer, is there anything else that would cause this?

If this is indeed another dash cluster failure, is that indicative of an additional problem with wiring or something... or is it just my luck? :(

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
If this is indeed another dash cluster failure, is that indicative of an additional problem with wiring or something... or is it just my luck? :(
More than likely, the replacement parts were made at the same time the installed ones were. It isn't likely that there's something else going on that is causing this.

I'd certainly contact Hyundai corporate (after repair) and let them know that this is a second replacement of the same item on your vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem, the dealership replaced it at no charge. mine happened when it over heated. too much sun on the dash or just plain hot. when the car was cool it worked fine - first thing in the morning or at night if it hadn't been used for a while

·
Registered
2 Posts
2012 Elantra Touring with odometer screen problem

It is covered under warranty they had to order a new cluster for the car.
Hi,

My odometer screen does the same thing! It is definitely correlated with the outside temperature. On cold, cloudy days and in the morning, it looks fine, but if it is hot and sunny, I cannot see anything on it! I am under warranty, too, and the dealer ordered a new cluster to put in. I'm just wondering, did you get your new cluster put in, and has it worked since then? I'm worried the new one will have the same problem :(

Thanks,
Jenny

1 - 20 of 59 Posts