Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently a clicking/ticking noise has been coming from my motor.
There is plenty of oil in the car and my grandpa thinks it could be that we need to adjust the lifter valves.

The problem is, we can't find anything out about the clearances that they need to be adjusted to.
The engine has around 71k miles(roughly).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Remove the oil fill cap.... see that piece of tin there in the hole,,,,, is it bent down so cam lobe hits it when running ??

If it is bent down, pull it up away from the cam so it not make noise. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you using the right viscosity oil? You can always try:

Putting some oil flush in it
Take your car for a hard run (give it a bit) 10 or 15 minutes should do it.
Come back home and drop the oil out of it
Replace oil filter and add new oil (just cheap oil, but the right viscosity).
Run it around town for a few days
Drop the oil out of it again and add some decent oil and add some lifter free additive.

I've done this to the Mrs excel years back. Although it was 250,000+ kms and wasn't maintained well (previously owner). Worked a treat. In my experience Hyundai's (at least older ones) NEED constant oil changes (with the right oil) or they start to tick a little.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
546 Posts
QUOTE (gerrit1446 @ Jun 22 2010, 04:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335308
There is plenty of oil in the car and my grandpa thinks it could be that we need to adjust the lifter valves.

The problem is, we can't find anything out about the clearances that they need to be adjusted to.

The reason you can't find specs is...there are none. Your engine has HLA's (Hydraulic Lash Adjusters), they are the overhead cam version of hydraulic lifters. Have you checked the exhaust heat shields?

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (gerrit1446 @ Jun 22 2010, 03:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335308

Gerrit, I drive a 2001 Hyundai Accent GL, likely has the exactly same engine. Before you begin adjusting anything, consider this. As I do my own oil changes, I learned that the Accents made in around '00-'02, produce clicking noises on start up and then go away after the car warms up.

This is because the lifter valves in this specific engine are not designed the same way as every other car. To get the price of the Accent down, some lifter valve components are incorporated into the Hyundai oil filter, which allows some oil to stay in the engine after the car is shutoff. Not all of it goes into the oil pan beneath. To see if this is the problem on your car, buy a hyundai oil filter instead of the K&N or other off the shelf filters. It's the only part you should buy from the dealer, as they are always over priced. If the clicking sound goes away, you'll know that it came from the engine trying to bring up oil into the valve system.

If this is the case, there is nothing wrong with your car, I think this was a design choice to ensure customers worried about their cars and brought it into a dealership.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Having had two different engines, the noise is normal. The engine in my car now has only about 44,000 miles and it makes a ticking noise. It is a normal noise for the engine.

·
Registered
546 Posts
QUOTE (badaccent @ Aug 3 2010, 02:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346866
Gerrit, I drive a 2001 Hyundai Accent GL, likely has the exactly same engine. Before you begin adjusting anything, consider this. As I do my own oil changes, I learned that the Accents made in around '00-'02, produce clicking noises on start up and then go away after the car warms up.

This is because the lifter valves in this specific engine are not designed the same way as every other car. To get the price of the Accent down, some lifter valve components are incorporated into the Hyundai oil filter, which allows some oil to stay in the engine after the car is shutoff. Not all of it goes into the oil pan beneath. To see if this is the problem on your car, buy a hyundai oil filter instead of the K&N or other off the shelf filters. It's the only part you should buy from the dealer, as they are always over priced. If the clicking sound goes away, you'll know that it came from the engine trying to bring up oil into the valve system.

If this is the case, there is nothing wrong with your car, I think this was a design choice to ensure customers worried about their cars and brought it into a dealership.
WTF? Are you serious about that? Even hmaservice.com says it's not a problem unless it lasts more than 15 minutes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts