Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2011 Sonata GLS 2 weeks ago and I love it. However, the first time I tried to put gas in it, I really couldn't. I put the nozzle in and started pumping fuel, but it would only pump for about 5 seconds and then click off like the tank was full. I kept trying and trying but it just wouldn't keep the flow going. I've been pumping my own gas for over 20 years so I know how it's done. I made sure the nozzle is making a good seal, I even tried angling it different ways but it kept clicking off. So after about 10 minutes I was able to pump about 3 gallons in my car which was fine to get me to work.

At first I dismissed it as it must have been a defective nozzle or pump station. I can live with that. Well, today I had to get gas again (cant get very far when you can only pump 3 gallons at a time). Sure enough I had the same problem. I was at a different gas station in a different town and had the same behavior. The oly thing that was the same is that both gas stations were HESS gas stations. Who knows maybe they have some weird nozzles. But then I thought maybe it's a design flaw in the Sonata such as the gas filler tube being too narrow, or maybe makes a sharp bend and fills up too fast tricking the nozzle into thinking the tank is full.

However, I searched this forum as well as the internet and have not seen anyone else with this problem. Next time I fill up I will try a station besides HESS and report back. But if anyone else has this problem, I would love to know.

Thanks
Joe

·
Banned
630 Posts
1) you first problem is using HESS gas...ewww
2) use Top Tier fuels like Shell or Chevron
3) I had this issue in my Buick Riviera constantly....if I pulled the nozzle out a bit and didnt hold the nozzle lever all the way up/in, it would work just fine

·
Banned
630 Posts
Chevron is THE BEST gas in the US, PERIOD!

but since NY only has Shell as our Top Tier gas manufacturer my motto is "If your car doesn't burn Shell, it's probably going to ****!" :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Had this issue once too. I think it was my second fill up and pump kept on switching off after a few seconds. Happened three or four times but finally started to work
and I managed to get a full tank. Hasn't happend since. I think I filled up three times since then.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have trouble filling the gas tank also. I've got 5500 miles on the car now and normally fill up when it gets to quarter tank. So far, my solution has been to push the nozzle in + holding it there; not letting it down to sit/rest. I thought it was the pumps at first (tried Chevron, Shell, Exxon, and Mobil; all same results). Now, after seeing your post, I believe it's a first car year issue. I've tried just sticking the nozzle in partial, half way, most of the way, but only pushing it in all the way and holding it there works 100% of the time. Hopefully, there will be a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on this issue at the dealer soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used to have this problem all the time with my Scion xB. One way I found that got around the problem was to turn the pump handle upside down. You can even get it to sit like that without having to sit there and hold it. Anyway, it eventually stopped happening after a while.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I was told that some pumps can't 'suck' gas fumes quick enough, making the pump shut off. It's probably the neck being narrower than most cars, which speeds up the air/fumes leaving the tank.
One way around that is to pull the sealing cap from the pump to break the seal, but I'd only do it if in a hurry since it's not environmentally friendly.
I used to have that problem in my GTO, but for some strange reason, only when tank was almost empty. Will try it on this car when I have to fill up, which should be in about a week.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input everyone. Funny enough, tonight the Salesman who sold me the car called me to ask how everything's going with the car. I told him I loved it and explained the problem I had filling up the tank. He said that he personally filled my car from the Shell station down the road from the dealer and had no problem at all. But he's going to check with the service department to see if they've heard of this problem before or have any info on it. I'm also going to try another gas station tomorrow just to top off before they raise the gas prices for Memorial weekend!

Edit.... I just had to run out to the store and was passing a BP gas station. I had half a tank and decided to pull in and give it another try. Same thing!!!! So that's 2 different HESS stations and one BP station that this happens. It must be a flow issue because it works good for the first 10=15 seconds, then it clicks off. If I try immediately, it just clicks off again. If I wait another 10 seconds I can start pumping again for another 10-15 seconds. Really annoying. I guess I'll be bringing back to the dealer.

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (Sparky Joe @ May 25 2010, 08:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326344
Thanks for the input everyone. Funny enough, tonight the Salesman who sold me the car called me to ask how everything's going with the car. I told him I loved it and explained the problem I had filling up the tank. He said that he personally filled my car from the Shell station down the road from the dealer and had no problem at all. But he's going to check with the service department to see if they've heard of this problem before or have any info on it. I'm also going to try another gas station tomorrow just to top off before they raise the gas prices for Memorial weekend!

Edit.... I just had to run out to the store and was passing a BP gas station. I had half a tank and decided to pull in and give it another try. Same thing!!!! So that's 2 different HESS stations and one BP station that this happens. It must be a flow issue because it works good for the first 10=15 seconds, then it clicks off. If I try immediately, it just clicks off again. If I wait another 10 seconds I can start pumping again for another 10-15 seconds. Really annoying. I guess I'll be bringing back to the dealer.
You sure you're putting in the right hole? :p

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE (Sparky Joe @ May 25 2010, 09:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326344

I had the same problem on one of my two fillups and had to hold the handle up while filling. I believe the reason it works OK at times and not others is the rate of flow coming from the pumps and a potential design or venting issue. If the pump has more than one notch set it on the slowest rate. Hopefully there is a TSB on the way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: This afternoon my Salesman called me up and said that he spoke with the mechanic and the mechanic said that THEY DO HAVE THESE ISSUES with SOME of the 2011 Sonatas. Like most of us here are guessing, it does have to do with the way the vapors are coming out too fast and the pump thinking it's full. They do not know of a fix for it at this time. However the mechanic said that in all cases they've seen, it has gone away after 3 or 4 fill-ups.

They've had customers come in with this problem and weeks later they would follow up with them and in all cases, the customer said the problem has gone away. Now I can't think of any mechanical reason why this problem would go away in time, but I'm willing to give it a shot. This is the 3rd time I tried filling my tank and couldn't. I'll give it 2 more tries. If the problem persists, the dealer told me to bring it in and they'll take a look at it and see if they can find out what's causing it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a car (not a Sonata) with a similar problem, there is some kind of floating ball check valve in the line which can get stuck in such a way as to restrict the flow of fuel and the nozzle then senses the back pressure and shuts off. First., option fill on low setting, which is not a fix but gets gas. The check may may get better or worse with time in my case it happened after many miles. It got pretty bad at one point but then is a bitit better now but I don't fill the tank at high flow rates. Different pumps do make a difference. Find a schematic for the fill line that may show the potential issue.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have never experienced this problem with a car, however, I have run into a couple gas pumps that will not fill up a gas can if I need it for my lawnmower or snowblower.

What I found works in that instance is to barely stick the very tip of the nozzle into the hole for the gas tank and then start the flow of gas. Once the gas is flowing, then put the nozzle the rest of the way into the hole. This should allow it to continue flowing without stopping.

Something about the gas pump not "detecting" back pressure allows it to stay on. If you push the entire nozzle into the hole all the way before starting the flow of gas, something in the pump detects too much pressure and will not allow the gas to keep flowing.

Again, this might not hold true, but its worked for me with gas cans, so maybe it will work for the people having this problem. It doesnt hurt to try! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update..
Ok, so I tried getting gas again and same problem. Serviceman said to bring it in because there definitely is something wrong. Dropped the car off after work today and should hear something tomorrow.

On a side note, they gave me a 2010 Sonata GLS as a loaner. It only had just over 1000 miles on it. Wow!! What a difference a year can make. The 2010 doesn't even compare to the 2011. The interior of the 2010 looks like it's 5 years outdated. Not trying to insult anyone that has a 2010, but it just shows how much of a leap in improvement they made with the 2011.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts