Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I received my HID conversion kit from xenonsupply and installed it last weekend. It's the standard H7 35W 8000k kit. It worked fine for a little while but when I was
leaving in the evening on the same Saturday that I installed the kit I turned them on and noticed the arrow for the left turn signal was stuck on. I stepped out of the car and
the drivers side mirror turn signal, rear drivers side turn signal and the passenger side position lights where all on. When I say on I mean they weren't blinking they were
on solid. I turned of my car and they still remained on. The only way I was able to turn them off was to disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. So I took out the kit
and put everything back the way it was and that didn't help. I took the car to the dealer on Monday and they fixed the problem. Apparently there were some wires burnt out in
the junction box or something like that. I'm sure I had everything connected properly because I was able to turn them on about three or four times without any problems.

Now I'm wondering if it was the kit that caused this or they did something wrong when they built the car and it would've happened anyway whether the kit was installed or not.
I have a tough time believing the latter because if that's the case then this would be an unbelievable coincidence.

Does anyone have any ideas?

By the way I noticed this morning my fog lights don't work either. Going to take it in tomorrow. Must be related to the other problem.

·
Banned
630 Posts
sounds like an electrical gremlin.........when installing the HID kit, did you mess with anythign in the fuse panel?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I don't think it was caused by your HID. Each wires are separate and your low beams are not tied to your turn signals. They should also be protected by fuse. Unless you messed with the wires in the junction box, I don't see how the HID will be a factor especially if they work several times. If they were going to burn out your wires, that would happen in a matter of seconds/minutes and it will burn your low beam wires not turn signals. I think the connection on the junction box came loose and touched another wire or a strand of wire accidentally touched another wire and caused it to short. Check the use for the fogs, it may just be blown from the initial short. If the fuse is good, then definitely have them check that one too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 1 2010, 10:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337868
sounds like an electrical gremlin.........when installing the HID kit, did you mess with anythign in the fuse panel?
Didn't mess with anything at all in the fuse panel. It did happen after I washed the car but just to be clear I never wash my engine for obvious reasons
so it that couldn't have anything to do with it. I'm including a picture I took the day it happened. Sorry for the bad quality I took it with my iphone with
limited lighting but you can clearly see the position light and the mirror turn signal on. I'm a little freaked to put the kit back in cause who knows if that
is the culprit I don't know what might get fried next.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ Jul 1 2010, 11:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337875
I don't think it was caused by your HID. Each wires are separate and your low beams are not tied to your turn signals. They should also be protected by fuse. Unless you messed with the wires in the junction box, I don't see how the HID will be a factor especially if they work several times. If they were going to burn out your wires, that would happen in a matter of seconds/minutes and it will burn your low beam wires not turn signals. I think the connection on the junction box came loose and touched another wire or a strand of wire accidentally touched another wire and caused it to short. Check the use for the fogs, it may just be blown from the initial short. If the fuse is good, then definitely have them check that one too.
Thanks for your input. If your right then it's one of the most amazing coincidences I have ever experienced.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (wozzy @ Jul 1 2010, 02:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337876
Didn't mess with anything at all in the fuse panel. It did happen after I washed the car but just to be clear I never wash my engine for obvious reasons
so it that couldn't have anything to do with it. I'm including a picture I took the day it happened. Sorry for the bad quality I took it with my iphone with
limited lighting but you can clearly see the position light and the mirror turn signal on. I'm a little freaked to put the kit back in cause who knows if that
is the culprit I don't know what might get fried next.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW....alternating turn signals at that!

that's freaky....scary freaky tho!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have xenons from xenonsupply for 3 months now and I haven't had any problems thus far.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I think I might invest in one of these HID kits. Which one did you guys go with? the standard, upgrade, premium? do you really need caps?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wanted to add that before installing the kit I noticed there were some dents on one of the ballasts of the HID kit. I wonder if that had anything to do with
this. I emailed Xenonsupply and they told me that they are willing to warranty the ballasts for me and send me a wiring harness but I would have to pay for the
harness and also for shipping because it's hard to say if it was their product or a flaw in my car.

Ugh...I should've went with their H7 premium kit with the CAN BUS decoders to begin with. Pretty pricey but would've saved me lots of headaches. I'm tempted to put this kit back on and see what happens but then again I'm scared ****less too as it might do worse damage next time. I know the car is under warranty but I just don't want to do anymore damage. I think
everyone here understands.

·
Banned
630 Posts
the can bus decoders just sound like horse **** to me....

On 10 cars that I've owned with HID kits, none have needed such a device. The cars I owned with factory HID didn't have them either

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (wozzy @ Jul 1 2010, 04:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337952
I just wanted to add that before installing the kit I noticed there were some dents on one of the ballasts of the HID kit. I wonder if that had anything to do with
this. I emailed Xenonsupply and they told me that they are willing to warranty the ballasts for me and send me a wiring harness but I would have to pay for the
harness and also for shipping because it's hard to say if it was their product or a flaw in my car.

Ugh...I should've went with their H7 premium kit with the CAN BUS decoders to begin with. Pretty pricey but would've saved me lots of headaches. I'm tempted to put this kit back on and see what happens but then again I'm scared ****less too as it might do worse damage next time. I know the car is under warranty but I just don't want to do anymore damage. I think
everyone here understands.
I also got my HID kit from Xenon supply. I got the high end CAN BUS one though. One of the ballasts makes a little buzzing noise and 1 out of every 10 times turning the lights on that light won't go on. I emailed them about it and they're going to send me a new ballast. They seem to come in a pretty bulky protective case, I don't see how the ballast would have gotten dented in shipping.

I think i'd demand a new one.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm not privy to this HID kit, but does the kit use a seperate harness for power or does it draw through the OEM harness? Reason why I am asking is that it sounds like your MFS (multi function switch) took a poop from either a short or having too much current running through it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (Philth @ Jul 1 2010, 06:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338062
I'm not privy to this HID kit, but does the kit use a seperate harness for power or does it draw through the OEM harness? Reason why I am asking is that it sounds like your MFS (multi function switch) took a poop from either a short or having too much current running through it.
This was the standard H7 kit which uses the OEM harness.
Xenonsupply has offered to send me a harness at a price
which then would draw power from the battery.

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE (wozzy @ Jul 1 2010, 06:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338082
This was the standard H7 kit which uses the OEM harness.
Xenonsupply has offered to send me a harness at a price
which then would draw power from the battery.
I bought the Premium kit from XenonSupply, and I love it. The $$ was crazy, and my wife was ****!!!!! But...When I turned them on for the first time, I wasn't thinking "Ooh I hope this works"...I was thinking "Ooh this is going to be bad ****!!!"

Looking back at it; I sorta, kinda, not really, but maybe a little bit, regret not getting the cheap standard kit. However, the piece of mind is SOOOOOoooooo worth it!!!! And being that I live in the Desert I needed to be assured my product was quality!

Good luck!!

Edit:
Oh and it sounds like they are selling you a relay kit. Totally not needed. Don't waste the money. IF its an external canbus kit...than maybe?

@NT2SHBBY:
I agree, if you dont have a Euro car - more than likely you wont need a canbus kit...but what sold me was the extra large capacitors, and that was all built in to one single unit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got the Canbus and mine works great. Draws all power from connector for a clean install. My truck on the other hand (Dodge 2500 Diesel) installation is nasty with resistors and all sorts of crazyness. Plus with the height of the truck it's absolutely blinding to anyone within range. I don't like that.. they're too bright. :(

·
Registered
713 Posts
So did wozzy get the problem resolved?

This is the reason I'll be going with Sylvania or GE bulbs only.

Ray

·
Registered
623 Posts
Not supported by Shark or Xenonsupply, but I highly recommend either since both stand by their product. I believe the problems the OP had were in no way caused by the install of the HID kit as the turn signals and low beams are independent of each other.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts