Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post! I have a 2010 Elantra with 55k miles and bought it new. For the past few months my car has been acting strange. For the first 20 to 30 minutes while driving, my accelerator would delay and the car wouldn't be in normal motion until after a few seconds of pressing on the gas pedal. For some reason, this has been eating up my gas more than usual. I took it to hyundai service and they said this specific problem is not part of their warranty so they require a big payment to get this fixed. Help!

-FYI: I havent done any maintenance on this car yet. I know this is really bad! but help me out here because I gotta know exactly whats going on with my car.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
no maintenance just means you don't care about the car. its either time to change that or time to get rid of the car. this will cost you far more in the long run if money is the issue.

so let's start with what HAS been done. ANY maintenance what so ever? even an oil change?

i would start with plugs and wires. at that mileage the gap on the plugs will be getting quite large and you could be misfiring a bit causing the delay and higher fuel consumption. talk about other items once that is fixed.

if the check engine light is on, those codes stored in the ECU are absolutely necessary in diagnosing this. there are a few parts stores in the US that will check for free. i've seen the names pepp boys and autozone tossed around a bit here. i'm too far north to help any more than that for the code scanner.

do remember that the dealer is correct in this situation. if maintenance has not been kept up as per the schedule in your owners manual, they have very little obligation to honor the warranty. maybe some parts that do not require regular maintenance such as suspension but that's about it.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
What did the dealer say the problem was? Zero gravity has some good suggestions above but without more info we can't really help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts