Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all im thinking of buying a I20 next week, im just waiting for the 2010.5 model to arrive at my local dealers next week (luckily my dealer is also my nextdoor neighbour). Iv just got a few questions best answered by owners like you guys.

Ok first up iv driven a i10 as thats what we were originally going to buy under the scrappage exchange scheme that hyundai are still offering untill december and was very impressed with it with the 1.2 kappa engine. What i was also impressed with was the quality of the fit and finish on the interior trim and dash, now iv read in multiple places that the I20's interior suffers from cheap plastic in places and isnt as well put together as the smaller i10 perhaps....is this true ? or just a bit of a mattr of taste?

Second: I would be buying the I20 with the same 1.2 kappa engine as the i10 how much performance drop would i see compared to the i10 as im guessing its a fair bit heavier...the i10 being very VERY nippy.

Iv seen a few posts on here regarding service costs my dealer has assuer me that 3 years servicing would be under 400 pounds which seems cheap to me..

Also what else is different on the i20 2010.5 apart from the new air duct to improve effiency and decrease co2 and the blue lights on the dash...is that it?

By the way il be buying a classic with metallic paint..

thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
OK, first things, its a lovely car, very impressed the year i have had it

the interior isn't fantasic, but then again against the i10 i do prefer it, but it is well put together, i ve had no issues with rattles and it is wearing quite well. i only had a rattle from the front passenger seat that has sorted itself now.

the 1.2 engine is great, i find it very nippy myself, the weights of the 2 models are not too different:
i10 - 0-62MPH 12.8 Secs
925-1040 kg
i20 - 0-62MPH 12.9 Secs
1085-1222 kg

the service cost seems good compared to other prices listed.

so good luck, it is a very good car

·
Registered
13 Posts
My experience is that performance wise, the 1.2 i20 feels surprisingly lively considering the size of the car and the modest power output. To a certain extent it depends on what you have been used to driving ( I drove a 2 litre iVTEC Honda Accord before my i20) and I am not disappointed with the i20. Of course, fully loaded on a motorway incline you will have to use the gears sensibly, but it is quite capable of maintaining a good pace on long journeys. The 1.2 Kappa engine is fairly quiet, smooth and flexible around town. On the downside the light clutch and quiet engine can make smooth get-aways tricky, you can end up giving it too many revs, or not enough and the engine bogging-down or stalling. It is just a matter of getting used to it and watching the rev counter.

The interior plastics are not of the highest quality but perfectly adequate, and after 2000 miles I have not experienced any annoying creaks or rattles so far. I have to keep reminding myself that I only paid around £7500 for the car, brand new with a 5 year warranty! If you can get a good deal I would go for it, but take a long test drive first to make sure that you are happy. There are far worse cars around costing almost twice as much and with less equipment.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You really need to have a test drive in the i20 before you can make comparisons.
The new i20 now has the same road tax as the i10.

I am not sure what your 'performance' requirements are, Hyundai produce great
cars but they are normally bought for reliability and economy.

My i20 is great on the motorway and has good acceleration once you get past 3000 rpm.

The i20 is heavy in comparison to the i10 and as previously stated you do need to give it
a few revs from a standing start.

I like the interior, yes there is a lot of plastic but you can only expect so much for the price.
Economy is good but well below Hyundai's figures - my best was an indicated 60 mpg.

If you don't need a bigger car go for the i10, if you want a bit more space and comfort
then get the i20, depending on your budget of course.

There is normally a few weeks wait once you have ordered.
I have the Edition model - well worth the extra cost.

Lester..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just make sure U get a nice healthy discount off rrp.
My '59' i20 1.2 5 door classic was around £9,600 rrp when I bought on the scrappage in September last year for £6,450. My year old car (just had its annual service and body warranty check) can now barely raise £5,750 trade/px. If you try and sell on Ebay or Autotrader no one wants to know unless you are close to the trade price. So be warned, once U buy you are stuck with it unless U want to take a thumping great ££££ hit.
That said though, the car, on the whole is great, torquey 1.2 pulls well from low down and the gearbox is slick with well chosen ratios to keep the car accelerating well above the national speed limit, the ride and the seats are a bit too firm for my liking and may put you off, so make sure U take a test drive first (don't let the salesman fob U off) before parting with £££. The fuel economy is nowhere near that claimed by Hyundai, especially when the engine is tight'n new. It gets a bit better when the engine loosens up a bit after around 1k miles so expect around 45+per gallon av, you might get a tad more on a long motorway run though. Boot space is good for a supermini especially with the rear seats down.
The biggest minus for me is the i20's demisting controls. It's the only car I have ever driven that requires me to use the air-con all the time to keep the windscreen clear of mist. Even in the height of summer I found it was still trying to fog up. I've tried to manipulate the conrols over the year and still have yet to find a satisfactory 'cure' surrendering to the air con fix each time.
Biggest plus has been its reliability, it fires up first time,every time whatever the outside temperature with the (as yet untested) assurance of the 5-year warranty the car makes a lot of sense. Is a surprisingly quiet motorway cruiser too. Just make sure U buy at the right price ....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Diehard2 @ Oct 17 2010, 02:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364100
Just make sure U get a nice healthy discount off rrp.
My '59' i20 1.2 5 door classic was around £9,600 rrp when I bought on the scrappage in September last year for £6,450. My year old car (just had its annual service and body warranty check) can now barely raise £5,750 trade/px. If you try and sell on Ebay or Autotrader no one wants to know unless you are close to the trade price. So be warned, once U buy you are stuck with it unless U want to take a thumping great ££££ hit.
That said though, the car, on the whole is great, torquey 1.2 pulls well from low down and the gearbox is slick with well chosen ratios to keep the car accelerating well above the national speed limit, the ride and the seats are a bit too firm for my liking and may put you off, so make sure U take a test drive first (don't let the salesman fob U off) before parting with £££. The fuel economy is nowhere near that claimed by Hyundai, especially when the engine is tight'n new. It gets a bit better when the engine loosens up a bit after around 1k miles so expect around 45+per gallon av, you might get a tad more on a long motorway run though. Boot space is good for a supermini especially with the rear seats down.
The biggest minus for me is the i20's demisting controls. It's the only car I have ever driven that requires me to use the air-con all the time to keep the windscreen clear of mist. Even in the height of summer I found it was still trying to fog up. I've tried to manipulate the conrols over the year and still have yet to find a satisfactory 'cure' surrendering to the air con fix each time.
Biggest plus has been its reliability, it fires up first time,every time whatever the outside temperature with the (as yet untested) assurance of the 5-year warranty the car makes a lot of sense. Is a surprisingly quiet motorway cruiser too. Just make sure U buy at the right price ....
Thanks for the advice everyone. I previously used mitsubishi delica forum before this for 6 years so i know how helpfull and handy forums like this are so keep up the good work. Iv still yet to get a test drive still waiting for the new 2010.5 model to arrive down the road. I was impressed with the interior fit and finish of the i10 so hopefully its similar, only thing is i dont like the looks of the i10 and want something that can clock up a few motorway miles too and something with a bit more weight under it. Speed is not an issue as i drive a VW camper as a second car so anything is like a bullet compared to that.

On A roads doing 20 miles to work each way in relatively decent traffic would 48ish mpg be about right? Only asking as this is what my current car currently achieves...I think il probably be going 10k miles or under a year in this car.....

As for discount im i likely to be able to pull of a discount as im already getting 2k knocked off with the trade scheme for a car thats worth 400£ at best, also im getting a few little extras chucked in fingers crossed, im buyiing it with the intention of keeping it at least 5 years probably more so depreciation is not so much of a worry.

One last thing do you pay an extra charge for the body corrosion check or is that part of the service?

Thanks again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep, body check is extra. Recall being told the 1st service was £175 and that the body check was mandatory 'to preserve the warranty'. Came back to pick the car up and the total cost had risen to just over £200. Told that there is no body check on the 2nd year but there's another one on the 3rd year. Have had no time to look at all the warranty stuff but it appears to be another 'rip-off' job to me. I was in too much of a hurry at the time collecting the car and getting to work to ask them what they actually DID for their £25, perhaps some kind soul on this forum with a few minutes to spare could enlighten me? Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
"I was in too much of a hurry at the time collecting the car and getting to work to ask them what they actually DID for their £25, perhaps some kind soul on this forum with a few minutes to spare could enlighten me? Thanks".

Hi Diehard2,
They didn't do anything,you pay your £25 and you maintain your anti perforation warranty,that's it. Seems Hyundai will use any trick in the book to avoid claims for rusting bodywork though, for example, " Caused by stone chips sir, sorry, not covered by the warranty". Bah !!!

Jez.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts