Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think those are the three the service rep recommended this week after they changed the headlight bulbs. My 2006 sonata has 76,000 miles. All the maintenance has been by Hyundai dealers. The one that does most of the work pushes alignments but has never mentioned system flushes. They sign off on the oil change booklet. What are the system flush schedules? I can't afford to do all three now. What are the priorities?

Reading here, the transmission one seems important.

·
Registered
86 Posts
QUOTE (Suzanna @ Jul 23 2010, 06:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344278
I think those are the three the service rep recommended this week after they changed the headlight bulbs. My 2006 sonata has 76,000 miles. All the maintenance has been by Hyundai dealers. The one that does most of the work pushes alignments but has never mentioned system flushes. They sign off on the oil change booklet. What are the system flush schedules? I can't afford to do all three now. What are the priorities?

Transmission every 30 000 miles under severe, and 105 000 miles under normal driving conditions. (Most cars fall under the severe interval)
First coolant change after 60 000 miles or 60 months, every 25 000 miles or 24 months after that.

Interestingly, the manual doesn't give ®eplace intervals for brake fluid or power steering fluid, just (I)nspections. In fact, i see no power steering fluid inspect or replace interval in my documentation, just power steering pump, belts and hoses......hmmm.

But since brake fluid absorbs moisture, then it's advisable to change that too every couple of years, or so.
Power steering fluid you can visually check for metal flakes and discoloration.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (Suzanna @ Jul 23 2010, 07:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344278
Suzanna: I would say your intuition is right on. The transmission comes first and the other two (p.s. fluid and brake fluid) would come in collectively as a distant second. This is why the manual reads as it does.

A little history: A radio talk show host named Pat Goss started pushing (and I do mean pushing!) the idea of brake and power steering flushes on his show a few years back. Coincidentally, he owned a very successful independent garage in the Wash DC area. He also pushed BP products which also accounted a great deal for the success of his garage, I'm sure. Prior to his show, I never heard of flushing these items.

Getting back to your question, for high mileage cars, it may be a good idea to flush power steering and brake fluids. BUT, only if you can find somebody who knows what he is doing. If I'm not mistaken, Ford motors put out a recommendation against flushing brake fluid for the simple reason that it is so easy to get air and possibly dirt in the brake system if a klutz is doing the job - And, of course, that defeats the whole idea in the first place.

But, I would worry right now about the transmission - some recent posters on the board seem to think fresh fluid makes your transmission feel born again.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
QUOTE (kn5owa @ Jul 24 2010, 10:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344373
But, I would worry right now about the transmission - some recent posters on the board seem to think fresh fluid makes your transmission feel born again.
Not born again, and not necessarily because the fluid is dirty and needs replacement.... As my other post (thread) saying, it took me a while to realize the benefits of changing the tranny fluid (at 30k), eliminating of occasional hiccups and violent shifting, especially when I squeezing more power from the engine (like when passing). Those disappeared altogether.

I suspect Hyundai is using a somewhat inferior fluid, simply 'cause that better, Castrol product is expensive....

As to POWER FLUSH (Dennis' link), the debate is still raging... Some of them flushes can do a good job, some are waste of money, of course. My good old '95 V6 Honda Accord was shifting rough and sometimes erratically, especially down shifting in heavy, slow highway traffic. At 80k miles I did a power flush, and I could see how dark, black fluid is slowly being replaced by orange fluid.... The car was shifting dramatically better when I left the shop.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would the dealer do a good job? Do I have a choice of fluids?
Why didn't they sell a transmission flush before?

I wonder about other maintenance. It's four years and nothing is needed? I remember my accord needing cv boots replaced and other little things with in the first few years. I would rather do little maintenance than have a major repair.

I keep thinking something should be worn in four years and 76,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis the Mennis @ Jul 23 2010, 08:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344311
Very good point. Many of the fluid and flushing recommendations are profit-driven.

Cars, fluids, and filters are way better today, and getting better every year. What was very true
in the 1980's and 90's may only marginally apply today. Mechanics are people too, and can easily
get in a rut. So even a good mechanic can give marginal advice. That's why I go strictly by the
owner's manual, especially the parts that suit me. :)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Would the dealer do a good job?
Maybe; the fact they recommended a PS fluid flush would make me find another dealer.

Do I have a choice of fluids?
Check with them; most dealers use Hyundai fluids but if you bring in your own Castrol Multi Vehicle AT Fluid they should use it.

Why didn't they sell a transmission flush before?
Dunno; Hyundai recommends changing the AT fluid at 105,000 mi.

It's four years and nothing is needed? I remember my accord needing cv boots replaced and other little things with in the first few years. I would rather do little maintenance than have a major repair.
Most maintenance is related to so-called "wear" items, things that wear out over time. CV boots are NOT a wear item; unless you have a torn CV boot (which lets dirt in and grease out) there's no need to replace them regularly. Maybe you needed CV boots because they were torn or the dealer had a boat payment due. Agreed about small repairs; a stitch in time saves nine.

If you have something that wears out, it usually makes its presence known. Boeing loses money on nearly every commercial jet they make. But jets last 25-30 years and require regular replacement of wear/stress parts. They make money selling the repair parts and the amount of time and money they spend advising the airlines on which part to replace when is staggering. I doubt it's possible to do the same with cars since each driver operates their car differently.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (Suzanna @ Jul 24 2010, 03:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344417
I wonder about other maintenance. It's four years and nothing is needed?

I'll stick my neck out and make some flat recommendations (always risky)

1. Change out your battery on a preventive maintenance basis if you haven't already.

2. Change out (flush) your anti-freeze/coolant if you haven't already.

3. Replace/flush your transmission fluid if you can find somebody you trust to do it - as to the type of fluid - Hyundai says use Hyundai transmission fluid and nothing else. Others on the forum swear by Castrol fluid - you might want to use the search box on this point.

The spark plugs are supposed to be good for 100K miles. I assume you have been changing, already, and as required, the engine air filter, cabin air filter, and oil and oil filters.

Bobad makes an excellent point about things changing. Because of clean unleaded gas (and better plugs), your spark plugs last probably 15 times as long as they used to. Anti-freeze is supposed to be good enough nowadays to last 5 years. Engine oil, especially synthetics, can easily go 7500 miles.

As to the last point about improved fluids, don't crud any of them up with additives. They don't need any and the car dealers push them just like "flushes" because they are a very high profit item. The manual on my Ford Taurus says at 7 or 8 places not to use additives anywhere. This should be in all manuals.

P.S., you mentioned in an earlier post about wheel alignments. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If the tires are wearing evenly with no steering probs., you should be OK. This is another area of auto maintenance where a klutzy mechanic can turn your car into junk.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All the scheduled service work has been done by the dealer. I did the 60,000 but don't recall any big ones since. Just oil changes. I lose count. But again, when I go for an oil change they haven't said I need the equivalent of the 7,500 service. Now I am at the equivalent of the 15,000.

Anyway, didn't I get plugs and filters with those service calls?
I've done the cabin filter myself several times.

Another question. I have the extended warranty. Does it cover the exact same things as the 5 year 60,000 warranty?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Plugs these days last 100,000 miles; the V6 Sonatas are expensive to change the plugs. Filters, yes; whenever the oil is changed the filter is changed, too. I keep a spare oil filter in the trunk and mention it to the tech in case they don't have one in stock. It's a good precaution.

I lose count, too. :grin:

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
QUOTE (Suzanna @ Jul 24 2010, 10:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344496
Another question. I have the extended warranty. Does it cover the exact same things as the 5 year 60,000 warranty?
That's a good question. I have Hyundai's ext. warranty myself, and was wondering, simply because I am too lazy to take the paperwork and READ the thing..... But in general, yes, the powertrain, which is most major components like engine, transmission, different pumps, etc., that are covered by the base 5/60k are covered by the ext. warranty. But you'd better read your contract....

·
Banned
12 Posts
QUOTE (Suzanna @ Jul 24 2010, 10:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344496
All the scheduled service work has been done by the dealer. I did the 60,000 but don't recall any big ones since. Just oil changes. I lose count. But again, when I go for an oil change they haven't said I need the equivalent of the 7,500 service. Now I am at the equivalent of the 15,000.

I've done the cabin filter myself several times.

In Florida, most of Florida, the weather is severe. The 60K service IS the BIG one. The biggest of big. Sure you will read
about the 105K interval on the Transmission service, but at each 30K you should change the fluid. No flush is ever necessary
aside from a POWER radiator flush. Most places just stick a garden hose in the radiator and call that a flush. Yesterday I had
my Transmission fluid changed with Hyundai fluid only, my Oil changed with 5W 20 for the first time ( the specified oil even my Dealer
does not use), my Radiator power flushed with NO added chemicals, (which should be done at 60K, no exceptions), a new Belt, new Radiator hoses, and also replaced the Air filter and cabin air filter. I bought the parts at the Hyundai Dealer and had my LA Armenian guys do the work. While I was at the Dealer, I asked the Parts guy what else should I buy. He turned to two Hyundai technicians who were standing there, and both of them said they could not think of anything else I would need.

As far as alignments along with power steering & power brake work the answer is NO. Also your Warranty question is hard to answer as it depends on what brand warranty they stuck you with, and generally they are never the same as the 5/60 "Limited" factory warranty for a multitude of reasons. For example, if and when your extended warranty company asks for proof of your timely service records you are going to have problems. Insurance companies are experts in not paying claims.

·
Registered
76 Posts
QUOTE (Buddy Hitler @ Jul 28 2010, 01:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345431
In Florida, most of Florida, the weather is severe. The 60K service IS the BIG one. The biggest of big. Sure you will read
about the 105K interval on the Transmission service, but at each 30K you should change the fluid. No flush is ever necessary
aside from a POWER radiator flush. Most places just stick a garden hose in the radiator and call that a flush. Yesterday I had
my Transmission fluid changed with Hyundai fluid only, my Oil changed with 5W 20 for the first time ( the specified oil even my Dealer
does not use), my Radiator power flushed with NO added chemicals, (which should be done at 60K, no exceptions), a new Belt, new Radiator hoses, and also replaced the Air filter and cabin air filter. I bought the parts at the Hyundai Dealer and had my LA Armenian guys do the work. While I was at the Dealer, I asked the Parts guy what else should I buy. He turned to two Hyundai technicians who were standing there, and both of them said they could not think of anything else I would need.

As far as alignments along with power steering & power brake work the answer is NO. Also your Warranty question is hard to answer as it depends on what brand warranty they stuck you with, and generally they are never the same as the 5/60 "Limited" factory warranty for a multitude of reasons. For example, if and when your extended warranty company asks for proof of your timely service records you are going to have problems. Insurance companies are experts in not paying claims.
Your new belt meaning the belt in the radiator?

·
Banned
12 Posts
QUOTE (kn5owa @ Jul 28 2010, 10:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345538
If you asked the dealer if you should change the radiator belts, I'm sure mine would go for it.

Asking the dealer "what else should I buy" is not quite my approach to dealing with the stealers.
Oh you Attorneys :trophy:

I had asked what I possibly might need, not what I should buy. And since our LX was built 5 years ago, in 2005,

it was a smart idea to do these items. Did they show any signs of impending failure, well no. However I am showing

these signs from Heat VA has never seen!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts