Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another thread, someone said wrt comparative reliability , "Hyundai cut corners, you get what you paid for..."
The idea is common sense, but is it born out by data?

You decide, see chart below.

Obviously, in the 10 year charts, most car brands are already out of powertrain warranty. So if engine or such $$$ failure, owners will have out of pocket repair costs which will drive the brand's ranking lower.
As far as I am concerned, I only care about grouping. IOWs, is it in the top, middle or lowest rank. I see that Kia and Hyundai almost have same numbers, that confirms expectations as similar drive trains were shared.
The worst are luxury Euro brands, no surprise there.
Toyota being the anointed king of reliability, is only marginally better than Hyundai.

Another poster (forgot his handle) a while back posted "Blackbook values" which were used by dealerships for trade-ins. He reported similar trim Sonatas were only fetching a couple hundred $ less than Camry.
YMMV :smile:

Here is url for article:
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/the-cost-of-car-ownership/

·
Registered
941 Posts
You do get what you pay for in some sense for features (not always), but not reliability. Look at BMW.. you pay a lot for them and it has the highest maintenance cost.. they also break down a lot. In Thurston Howell's voice, "I drive a BMW, and pay $80 for a standard oil change". While repair prices might scale up for higher end cars that have more expensive parts, even the basics are out of whack... $25-45 BMW oil filter just because it goes into a BMW, would be the same as a $3 Pontiac oil filter if they used the same cartridge.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This chart illustrate one should only compare cars within the same classification.
When people buy luxury, especially Euro brands, it is about the amenities, driving experience, status...
Massaging leather seats, moon roof packages cost ten's of thousand dollars for higher end cars, but they may make reliability worst. I guess if you can afford to buy a 90K$ for ultimate driving experience, you can afford the $1000 muffler. :smile:
Lexus offered luxury and reliability, thus it was able to penetrate that segment nicely. Time will tell wrt Genesis.
Kia was formerly known as a s*&^ty car brand. Remember the Rondo, early Sportage? Somehow it has raised to a higher status today (Stinger). Optima's cost more than Sonata.

From the chart, assuming average owner, (not some serious DIY members in this forum), keeping a new Hyundai to 6 years or so is the sweetspot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would rather buy a decent cheap Hyundai than pay three times the amount for an expensive car that will probably only be worth the same price as your Hyundai in 5 years time anyway... Mostly because you couldn't afford to regularly service it & it is now a Pig on wheels..
I have seen some really nice 5 year old Hyundai's & I have seen some pretty ordinary 5 year old BMW's.
No one wants a 5 year old BMW anyway.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Most German car values drop like a rock after 5 years or so.
That is because of the lack of reliability and the insane repair costs.
My brother-in-law has owned two 7 Series BMWs and both have been maintenance intensive.
His latest, a 2013 750iL, just needed to have the engine replaced because it seized at 46k miles.
No warning lights, nothing in the onboard self test reports. The only bright side is that BMW agreed to pay 85% of the total cost to replace the engine.
His previous 7 series was a 2003 that he got rid of when the trans died at about 100k miles.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I don't mind econo-boxes, I wouldn't even have minded if my '07 GS had hand crank windows, that would have saved me a couple hundred bucks getting the switch bank on the driver's door replaced. The less there is to break the less that will break. I look at these new modern additions; hands free lift gates, fully automated fold away seats, self/soft closing doors, power fold mirrors all the driver assistance gear. The more you add, the more that become standard features, they're bound to fail eventually. Less is more.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,840 Posts
My '08 Accent has been very reliable. Only went back to the dealer one time for a leaky transmission seal. Last summer the clutch coil on the AC went out and I had to replace the compressor and other parts for the system. 158K on it now. I'd say of all the cars I've owned it's been the most reliable an trouble free. I'd by another just like it in a heart beat to replace it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't mind econo-boxes, I wouldn't even have minded if my '07 GS had hand crank windows, that would have saved me a couple hundred bucks getting the switch bank on the driver's door replaced. The less there is to break the less that will break. I look at these new modern additions; hands free lift gates, fully automated fold away seats, self/soft closing doors, power fold mirrors all the driver assistance gear. The more you add, the more that become standard features, they're bound to fail eventually. Less is more.
your're right about that. Complexity = more failure modes.
Redundant failover systems actually have lower MTTF (mean time btwn failure) but higher system availability.

Creature comforts are addictive. e.g. remote mirror, smart keys,..but drains your wallet when they fail.
I see...you are supposed to buy a new car every 3 years.
Get with the program, man.

Top line Stinger offers twin turbo v6 variable timing and powereverything.
Is like the yacht dealership - if you have to ask how much - you can't afford it?
That is a dilemma for Kia, formerly known for budget wheels.

What is to me over the top - Volvo turbo + supercharged engine.
My knuckles hurt just looking at that engine. Should have removable fenders for repairs.
Unreal.

2016 Winner: Volvo XC90 T6 2.0L Turbo/Super-4 | Engines content from WardsAuto

1 - 8 of 8 Posts